Carry @ Work

Carry @ Work

This is a discussion on Carry @ Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My work has a policy that says no weapons on the property. I realize that this policy does not exactly go with the 2A, it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry @ Work

Carry @ Work

My work has a policy that says no weapons on the property. I realize that this policy does not exactly go with the 2A, it is enough to get you fired and FL is a right to work state. There is no rule preventing the average citizen from carrying on the property. I am in a position where I can get the policy changed but not the employee part. What do you think I should suggest or should I even bother?

Thanks!
    Chris

July 1st the new law that Gov Christ signed goes into effect. You can leave it in your car at least and there is nothing that your employer can do about it.
    NRA Member

I had a similar situation at my work. I'm a thousand miles from my home office. But, we aren't even allowed to have guns in company vehicles. I had this changed real fast. I demanded mileage payment on my POV for taking customers shooting at a gun range for entertainment. When I was questioned on it, I explained that company policy doesn't allow guns in company vehicles. When pressed as to why I felt this was appropriate entertainment; I asked why it wouldn't be? Keep in mind that these are the same people that have no problem allowing you to exspense a $1,000 bar tab from a topless club. I informed my company that these guys are big shooters and spent about 10 million with my company the previous yr. Once that came out, I was paid and was told we understand things are different in TX. Just to shore things up, I have had a number of customers tell my senior staff how much they enjoy the fact that I take them shooting and give free CHL classes to their employees. I can walk right into client offices because I have set myself apart from the average guy that wants to take them to a restraunt or bar. As far as I am concerned, my company now has a very liberal firearms policy for me specifically. Show your employer that they either have something to gain or lose by enforcing their depending on their gun policy.

ranburr

VIP Member
    ranburr,

That's a great idea!

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to steal it!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

So clever! Great job on your part.
    Mossberg 500A
    Savage 93R17 FV
    Ruger P95DC

Now that is using the old noodle ranburr! Well done and keep up the good work!

As for the problem you have Chris Dawg...you are in a rough situation. I doubt you would be able to get the policy changes and if you do bring it up, they are going to watch you closely after that. You should check the employee handbook. If it is like the one where I work, it says that they can search your car and or any bags you bring in too. The best way to circumvent that is to park off of the company property.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

According to the new HR503 which will be signed July 1st 2008 you should be able to take your gun to work and leave it in your care and your boss cant do a thing about it. goto ORLANDO CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY | AGGRAVATED BATTERY DEFENSE LAWYER JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. click on Mr Gutmachers blog its explained in there also if you are a resident of florida i highly recomend you get his book could save your butt one day.

VIP Member

How does FL's law differ fromOK, which was shot down

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoDriver View Post
    According to the new HR503 which will be signed July 1st 2008 you should be able to take your gun to work and leave it in your care and your boss cant do a thing about it. goto ORLANDO CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY | AGGRAVATED BATTERY DEFENSE LAWYER JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. click on Mr Gutmachers blog its explained in there also if you are a resident of florida i highly recomend you get his book could save your butt one day.
    How does Florida's law differ from the one passed in OK? That one was shot down by a Federal Court in Denver (I think). Don't recall specifics but there was a Federal pre-emption in OSHA law, I think.

In other words, why might this one stand whereas Oklahoma's law to allow employees to keep guns in their cars was knocked down?

I cannot carry at work because I work at a University and our state says University's are off limits without permission of the Local Enforcement agency. However guns legally in vehicles upon public roads accessible to the public 24 hours a day are not "on premesis", which all of ours are, so "in the car" legally stored is allowed.

Of course we all know that no one would ever need to carry on a safe place like a college campus because the 8 on duty officers we have can completely protect our 180 plus acres and 40 plus buildings and tens of parking lots and hundreds of alleys and 35,000 resident workers, students and faculty and, of course, the many more visitors that might come onto our completely open, ungated campus... right?

No, we cannot carry... we are protected. We have a loud speaker system (which also tells us when a lightning strike as happened close by and works over half the time!) and an email alert to tell us people are being killed or lightning has struck 5 miles away. We will know we are in danger shortly after they do. And we can try and hide. Were good... don't worry about us! We are protected by some magical force field. A couple of our patrol cars even have a shot gun. And we don't even bother to train seriously on this sort of thing because it will never happen here...

Did I say that out loud?

Senior Moderator
    There is no law saying I can't carry at work. Only my employer doesn't like it/want it.

I often carry anyway. I would rather be fired than dead.

But, I have the luxury of not NEEDING my job in order to survive. I will never fault anyone for not carrying due to company policy. Most of people in the world need their jobs to survive as much as they may need a gun, they accept the risk of being fired as much higher than the risk that they may need a gun to defend themselves. That's understandable! Especially if you have more than just yourself to provide for.

I've tried to talk to my boss about changing their policy. It doesn't work. The most we've come to is agreeing to allow me to carry TO and FROM work (I have to secure my firearm in a safe once I get there (I also unload it and carry the ammunition with me)) but he isn't budging on allowing carry while on the job.

However, when he doesn't see me put my gun in the safe (or doesn't see my gun in the safe when he goes into it during the day (once again, the gun is unloaded if it's in the safe and the ammo is on my person)) he has no idea whether or not I just didn't bring one or am just not disarming. He's never asked, I'm never going to volunteer. If he can't tell, neither should I. We go about our business and that's that.

Very simple, concealed means concealed !

VIP Member
    It's totally a personal choice. Count the cost, do what's right in your own mind.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    How does Florida's law differ from the one passed in OK? That one was shot down by a Federal Court in Denver (I think). Don't recall specifics but there was a Federal pre-emption in OSHA law, I think.

In other words, why might this one stand whereas Oklahoma's law to allow employees to keep guns in their cars was knocked down?
    I'm not sure about the specifics of the individual laws, but because the FL law hasn't been taken to court (yet) and the state hasn't lost the case. As I understand the OK situation, the corporations there took the state to court alleging their law violated OSHA workplace safety regulations. Our law hasn't been challenged (again, yet) so it stands as the law of the state. And it could still survive a fed'l court battle because we are in a different district than OK and these judges may be more conservative and interpret the situation as FL has it correct. If I am incorrect, someone please correct me.
    Last edited by b52ace; June 23rd, 2008 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added 'not'
    "Evil prospers when good men and women do nothing" - British citizen

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My night job is in an ABC restaurant and apparently I can't lawfully carry there without permission from my manager, so I'm reluctant.

My immediate supervisor, who is a strong anti, says that "this isn't a real company." Therefore, we don't have rules... at all. I do work in, not for, a hospital which has a no firearms policy. My Gov't in my C-TAC is easily concealed by my long tee shirt which is held down by my tool belt.

A few days ago, the crew was in a [non ABC] restaurant for dinner break. When I came out of the restroom, I was walking back to the table and a guy was looking in the direction of my gun. I looked down and my shirt had caught on the hammer. I was about 10 feet from my boss. Apparently he didn't notice.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I am not sure I got my point across very well...

On 2nd thought it doesn't matter much as a BG is not going to pay much mind to some sign or company policy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links