Reciprocity agreements?

Reciprocity agreements?

This is a discussion on Reciprocity agreements? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a permit holder in Texas, who will be going to Nevada on vacation, a state which apparently does not have a reciprocity agreement ...

Thread: Reciprocity agreements?

Reciprocity agreements?

I am a permit holder in Texas, who will be going to Nevada on vacation, a state which apparently does not have a reciprocity agreement with Texas. I don't see why Texas would honor another states permit when they don't extend the same courtesy. Is there something I'm missing that explains this situation?

Each state has their own "minimum standards", thus it is possible for one state to accept the other's license, but not vice-versa.

The Attorney Generals of each state must get together and clarify exactly which language is the conflicting element. Sometimes it is just a matter of wording, and can be corrected without upsetting the entire licensing requirements.

It helps to have a gun rights organization in your state which keeps in contact with your Attorney General.

Some states (Alaska and Utah as examples) will accept all state permits regardless of a reciprocity agreement. Others are more restrictive. Oregon and California, for example, accepts no other state permits. It depends on individual state laws.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Texas allows veterans and active duty military under 21 years old to get CCW permits and some states don't allow that hence texas permits don't meet their criteria for concealed carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Too much red tape. I think this is why some came up with a national carry possibility-to do away with all the confusion?
    I for one am still weighing the pros and cons of it.
    I am glad to see my congressman got on the boat early on with it.
    Gun Law News - H.R.5782 - Secure Access to Firearms (SAFE) Act of 2008

Nevada has the toughest standards I think... They require you to qualify with every weapon we carry. In addition Nevada does not honor any states CCW that does not contain a picture.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead45 View Post
    Nevada has the toughest standards I think... They require you to qualify with every weapon we carry. In addition Nevada does not honor any states CCW that does not contain a picture.
    Non Residents do not have to meet this requirement.

The law that allowed recognition of other State's permits, passed last session, provides:
    NRS 202.3689 Department to prepare list of states that meet certain requirements concerning permits; Department to provide copy of list to law enforcement agencies in this State; Department to make list available to public.
    1. On or before July 1 of each year, the Department shall:
    (a) Examine the requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in each state and determine whether the requirements of each state are substantially similar to or more stringent than the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
    (b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.
    (c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b). A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list...."

NRS: CHAPTER 202 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
    ----------------------------------------------------
    If you believe that your State meets these requirements, but has not been included in the list of States that Nevada recognizes, [Alaska, Arkansas, Florida (added January 3, 2008), Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan (added May 9, 2008), Missouri, Nebraska, Tennessee and Utah)] you should ask your State authorities to request that Nevada review that status.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    I am a permit holder in Texas, who will be going to Nevada on vacation, a state which apparently does not have a reciprocity agreement with Texas. I don't see why Texas would honor another states permit when they don't extend the same courtesy. Is there something I'm missing that explains this situation?
    Apparently, there is no reciprocity agreement between Texas and Nevada. Texas does recognize both resident and nonresident Nevada CCW permits, but not vice versa. In time, Nevada may enter into a reciprocity agreeement with or just recognize Texas permits. Nevada has not been accepting other state's permits for very long. I think it started in October 2007. I would like to think that Nevada will add more states to the list.

Methinks the system is designed primarily to keep lawyers busy. If you think about all the conflicting and confusing laws, it just doesn't make any sense.

--------------
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Methinks the system is designed primarily to keep lawyers busy. If you think about all the conflicting and confusing laws, it just doesn't make any sense.
    ~~~~~~ ^^ ^^

Also, it has to do with "I'm in charge here" mind set in the State Legislative bodies.

This past session, I set through a number of committee hearings.

From time to time, someone would present language from a Federal, or other State's statute that was dead-on what the committee was get at. Repeatedly, an elected official would say something like, "I think we are better equipped to write laws for Virginians than (fill in the blank). There would be a murmur of approval.

It was if they were offended that a witness would suggest that someone else had done it better, or beat them to the punch.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links