Fairfax County Police (WoW) From VCDL (UGLY)

This is a discussion on Fairfax County Police (WoW) From VCDL (UGLY) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by FN1910 I am thinking about hollow points in NJ. Are teflon coated bullets hollow point? Wouldn't that defeat the supposedly reported purpose ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fairfax County Police (WoW) From VCDL (UGLY)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am thinking about hollow points in NJ. Are teflon coated bullets hollow point? Wouldn't that defeat the supposedly reported purpose of the "Cop Killer" teflon coating to go through vests? Just wondering why a judge would make the jump from hollow point to teflon coated.
    Teflon coated where said by the media to go through a vest. I've never seen any facts on if you take a 9mm 115 teflon coated bullet moving at the same speed as a 115 FMJ would have any differn't effect on todays armor. I think it was another media hype kind of like the "BLACK TALON" which by todays standards would not be shot out most peoples guns as a self defense load, expecially since they now have much better jacketed bonded projectiles that give a much more reliable expansion. I know a guy who shoots teflon coated lead bullets for practice, and in IDPA from the simple fact because there cheaper then jacketed stuff, plus he can run them through his Glock and not have to worry about the polygonal rifling, that he would have if he ran straight lead. Hes a reloader therefore he buys in volume and thats what he shoots.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

HMMM, Just checked my NC permit and there is no phone number on it. Not sure what number the judge was calling.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    HMMM, Just checked my NC permit and there is no phone number on it. Not sure what number the judge was calling.
    Maybe you need to get yours check out. You probably have a fake own.

The gun owner was pulled over for running through a red light, a
    charge which the gun owner disputes.
    A little off topic, but...
    I was driving up to Maryland several years ago from central VA and I used Google maps to plot my course. Well it had me going right through D.C. to get there. I didn't know any better at the time. Anyway, it was getting to be pretty late at night and it started to pour down rain. So I was driving really slow because I couldn't see a thing and I was looking for street signs as I drove along. The road was pretty empty, and it was several lanes wide. I kept seeing these little red lights off to the side of the road on each side as I drove along and was wondering what they were. Then they turned green. I had gone through at least 10 red lights before I realized it. I had never seen street lights on the side on the road like that before, so I had no clue that's what they were. All I could see through the rain was the lights, not the poles.

So to bring it back on topic, I can understand if this guy drove past one of these street lights. He may not have even noticed it.

Regarding the arrival of additional police...

Depending on the department, recent hires, and so on, I can believe it.

Possibility...All the first officer registered was "I am armed" and called backup. Arriving officers and supervisor may have realized the boo boo, and tried to salvage the situation by going forth and hoping the citizen would just roll over and take it.

I was detained a couple of years ago (11:30 PM) for "Suspicion of DUI" and two additional units arrived before the first officer got out of his vehicle, and a fourth arrived while he was walking the 10 yards to where I stopped/parked my bike (1/2 a block from my garage), key hanging off the right mirror, and my sitting side saddle smoking a cigarette clearly demonstrating that I was not a flight risk. Surrounded, grilled, Breathalyzered (0.0 much to the LEOs irritation), lectured on my riding practices for 35 minuets by some twit who I have been riding longer than he has been alive, and released with not even a warning of any infraction. Had I been ticked, it would have been a fun day in court.

So, multiple officers arriving on a minor traffic stop does not surprise me in the least. Compounding the situation...I too would like to hear more about this from official channels.

Had I been the citizen in the OP situation, I would have pushed the issue with the magistrate to have my gun and car returned then and now, no fees, and a verbal apology from the officers. Ticket me for the Red light, my bad, here is the money for the fine.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

In my experience, I have found the Virginia Citizens Defense League to be right on the money. There may be more information forthcoming, but I pretty much believe the facts as reported at their website.

Good God, that is appalling.

Please updare us as things progress.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I personally hope he sues the hell out of the department and hands their a$$ses to them on a rusted platter.
    Mighty HD

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Regarding the arrival of additional police...

Depending on the department, recent hires, and so on, I can believe it.

Possibility...All the first officer registered was "I am armed" and called backup. Arriving officers and supervisor may have realized the boo boo, and tried to salvage the situation by going forth and hoping the citizen would just roll over and take it.

I was detained a couple of years ago (11:30 PM) for "Suspicion of DUI" and two additional units arrived before the first officer got out of his vehicle, and a fourth arrived while he was walking the 10 yards to where I stopped/parked my bike (1/2 a block from my garage), key hanging off the right mirror, and my sitting side saddle smoking a cigarette clearly demonstrating that I was not a flight risk. Surrounded, grilled, Breathalyzered (0.0 much to the LEOs irritation), lectured on my riding practices for 35 minuets by some twit who I have been riding longer than he has been alive, and released with not even a warning of any infraction. Had I been ticked, it would have been a fun day in court.

So, multiple officers arriving on a minor traffic stop does not surprise me in the least. Compounding the situation...I too would like to hear more about this from official channels.

Had I been the citizen in the OP situation, I would have pushed the issue with the magistrate to have my gun and car returned then and now, no fees, and a verbal apology from the officers. Ticket me for the Red light, my bad, here is the money for the fine.
    Dirty biker gang member, I can understand his fear.

This one is too weird to not get more on.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Just a little thread hijack.

Before you go to referring to LEO's as dumb, you should check out the education requirements of most departments. Your larger departments almost always require a bachelor's degree of applicants. Even for those who don't, getting promoted usually does. The higher you go in rank the higher degree required.

Many of you would be surprised to know that the, "dumb" cop that pulled you over may have a Master's Degree or even a PhD.

This is what makes stupid moves very costly for officers and departments. They can't claim ignorance.

Smaller and more rural departments are a different story.
    A degree of any kind does not confer common sense. I used to be a Deputy Sheriff, and YES, some of them are that dumb!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    A degree of any kind does not confer common sense. I used to be a Deputy Sheriff, and YES, some of them are that dumb!
    I agree wholeheartedly, being former enlisted military and having worked with many officers (college degree required) I must admit I have on occasion worked with some highly educated idiots.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, being former enlisted military and having worked with many officers (college degree required) I must admit I have on occasion worked with some highly educated idiots.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    that and the level of coverage that officers get training on.....
    I mean this last week in our class we breezed through the firearms chapter and barely covered what was legal/illegal concerning CHL, places off limits, etc
    at lunch and after class everyone was asking me what was right/wrong legal/illegal for CHLs, they just didn't cover it in enough detail to properly train everyone that will be on the streets in December IMO
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Reciprocity

Someone earlier in the thread commented that it was surprising that the officer had never heard of permit reciprocity. I had the opposite experience. About a month ago, I went to the local Police Department to be fingerprinted for my Florida permit renewal. They couldn't help me because they are equipped only to do electronic prints, and that doesn't work for out-of-state Florida renewals.

I asked if they could refer me to another department that might help me, and I ended up talking to the Captain. He asked asked me why I had a Florida permit, since I live in Connecticut. I told him that, since Connecticut does not honor the Florida permit, Florida will not honor my Connecticut permit. He was really surprised to learn that Connecticut did not honor every other state's permits; he commented that he thought they were just like driver's licenses.

But he did call the Police Department in the next town to ask them to help me, and, in the course of the conversation (with a lieutenant there) asked him if he was aware that Connecticut did not honor out-of state permits, and that officer, too, was unaware that they weren't honored. So, this mistaken impression appears to be widespread -- but I wouldn't count on it!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Having a degree does not make one "smart." What gave you that idea anyway? People are people regardless of profession or education.
    Indeed, I've worked with and for very bright people with no degrees and likewise some with degrees that acted as dumb as a doornail in the workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    heh, I wouldn't go by education requirements. I know folks with BS's that I wouldn't trust to plug in a light-bulb correctly. Same for the PHD...I know a few of those too. Neither of which have any common sense. ONE of them actually has a brain and knows how to use it.
    They don't teach commonsense in college!

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Why did two more units pull up? Did the first officer call for help and if so why. Or did they just happen by and decide to stop. This is something that could shed some light on this incident.

What is "felony stop" mode. Where was he when made to walk backwards. Were they doing a roadside sobrtiety check? They disarmed and handcuffed him. Sounds like standard procedure for someone being arrested.

This I could believe. I doubt that they threw it on the road but how many in here have not dropped their gun. Isn't that something that we all check for when choosing a gun is one that will not go off if dropped?

That is wild from all standpoints I would have thought they knew that law?

Unless they thought he wa a felon then surely they would have know about the federal travel guidelines.

Hard to believe a Fairfax LEO didn't know NC had reciprocity unless they were completely clueless
    Backup on car stops is a normal thing, providing an officer is available. They are the most risky (aside from DV cases) stops that any officer can make (e.g. more officers are hurt/killed at traffic stops than anything else), so two more eyes and another officer can increase safety for all.

As for knowing the law, the academies don't teach everything there is to know about firearms law and most officers really aren't that knowledgeable in that area. In my state there is a 400 pg book published just on the firearms laws for LEOs . . . very few LEOs ever read it or try to understand it. I worked for the PD for 17 years as a Reserve PO, qualified with fellow officers and know how ignorant they are on the gun laws here. I've had our chief ask me about the gun laws. I'm aware of a situation where someone was arrested for "possession of a BB gun without a license" . . . there is no such thing in this state and no requirement for any license for BB guns.

If you announce that you are carrying in my state, expect a felony stop! Many POs don't even know that citizens can carry a gun legally here and their reaction is likely to be predictable and unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    that and the level of coverage that officers get training on.....
    I mean this last week in our class we breezed through the firearms chapter and barely covered what was legal/illegal concerning CHL, places off limits, etc
    at lunch and after class everyone was asking me what was right/wrong legal/illegal for CHLs, they just didn't cover it in enough detail to properly train everyone that will be on the streets in December IMO
    Bingo! I get a lot of questions about gun laws from various folks, including LEOs. I've also had to correct one BATFE agent who gave wrong info that, if followed, could have led to someone committing a felony inadvertently (wrt interstate transfer between family members).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    He was really surprised to learn that Connecticut did not honor every other state's permits; he commented that he thought they were just like driver's licenses.

But he did call the Police Department in the next town to ask them to help me, and, in the course of the conversation (with a lieutenant there) asked him if he was aware that Connecticut did not honor out-of state permits, and that officer, too, was unaware that they weren't honored. So, this mistaken impression appears to be widespread -- but I wouldn't count on it!
    Most LEOs in this area don't know much about FOPA nor do they understand the permit process, reciprocity or even HR218/LEOSA. The top brass in this state was against LEOSA and thus does nothing to ensure that officers are educated about it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links