First Time Stopped and Officer looked scared

This is a discussion on First Time Stopped and Officer looked scared within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by antgriff Then he asked me if he could secure my firearm for his safety. In reply to him asking my answer would ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Time Stopped and Officer looked scared

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by antgriff View Post
    Then he asked me if he could secure my firearm for his safety.
    In reply to him asking my answer would have been " No, it's secure, holstered and 100% safe to all good guys." If ordered I of course would comply. Why police think taking out a loaded weapon and handling it makes them safer is beyond me.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

I've been around many years...I have many friends and relatives who either have been or are LEO's. I do not believe anyone has to be 'rude' to be a true professional.

One can be 'seriously polite', cautious, curious, and still maintain the attitude and demeanor that generates both respect and 'some fear' (some people need a little fear because they lack respect).

Hopefully, the young officer grew a little in his experiences...we all learn as move through life...we've all made our mistakes, and hopefully we learn FROM them and allow others to learn from THEIRS.

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I would like to know what color the sky is on the world those of you live on that think arguing with the officer in a traffic stop is going to turn out good for you?

For all you know there has been a crime committed and you and your vehicle fit the description. The officer doesn't know you are good guy or if your CCW is authentic yet. I'd like to see you say that to a LEO and see just how long before his gun is pointed at your head and there are 4 more squads there.

I'd certianly be nervous if the LEO is pulling my loaded pistol but you have as much responsibility in effecting the mood of the stop as the officer does and maybe even more-so.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I would like to know what color the sky is on the world those of you live on that think arguing with the officer in a traffic stop is going to turn out good for you?
    I'm not trying to play the tough guy. I just think its actually more dangerous than leaving it holstered. Like I said, if ordered I would politely and rapidly comply. I really don't see how a polite "I'd rather not" is so bad. I might even ask a clarifying question such as "Are you asking me or telling me?". I agree that keeping the mood friendly is important and nowhere in my previous post did you see the word argue.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm not trying to play the tough guy. I just think its actually more dangerous than leaving it holstered. Like I said, if ordered I would politely and rapidly comply. I really don't see how a polite "I'd rather not" is so bad. I might even ask a clarifying question such as "Are you asking me or telling me?". I agree that keeping the mood friendly is important and nowhere in my previous post did you see the word argue.
    Believe me, I agree with your point. But, if you "ask" your child to empty the dishwasher and they come back with, "I'd rather not, are you asking me or telling me?" where has your mood just elevated to? Obviously, the dishwasher isn't as dangerous as someone handling your loaded gun. I think the effect will be the same. Remember, he hasn't verified you are the good guy yet and questioning orders or requests for that matter only makes you more suspect. Remember, the officer as stated in the beginning was already adjitated(sp?).

Great thread! I like how people sharing experiances and comments make a person consider things from different angles. I know what I'd do here and glad others share there opinion as well.

Timmy - to your point; what if saying, "certianly you may secure my firearm. Please remember it's loaded and it would really ruin my day if you shot me in the leg removing it from my holster" might change the officer's mind and agree that leaving it in your holster is the safest place? You also haven't challenged the LEO's authority which would only help to ease his nervousness?

maybe I've dated too much and have a terrible boss so now I always find myself trying to make an idea "their" idea. Thus getting my way without putting up a fight :)
    Last edited by tinkerinWstuff; June 23rd, 2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: additional comment

VIP Member
    Believe me, I agree with your point. But, if you "ask" your child to empty the dishwasher and they come back with, "I'd rather not, are you asking me or telling me?" where has your mood just elevated to? Obviously, the dishwasher isn't as dangerous as someone handling your loaded gun. I think the effect will be the same. Remember, he hasn't verified you are the good guy yet and questioning orders or requests for that matter only makes you more suspect. Remember, the officer as stated in the beginning was already adjitated(sp?).
    The difference here is that I'm not a child. I am an adult who has completed copious amounts of administrative paperwork and background checks to lawfully carry. He was informed by dispatch that the driver had a valid carry lisence. I would think that telling him you are armed and have a valid ccw should go far to dissuade his fear. It would be much different if he found it while searching you. In closing I will say that I have been pulled over while armed and have never had any problems.
    I do like the quote in your next post.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I don't like hearing about people being disarmed at simple traffic stops. The only part of this story that I like is when the officer realized that everyone was safer if he left well enough alone.

"Hands on the dashboard!" Criminy...

VIP Member
    But, if you "ask" your child to empty the dishwasher and they come back with, "I'd rather not, are you asking me or telling me?" where has your mood just elevated to?
    Ah!

That is the point.

How I treat a child and how I react to the child's response is not the same as how I treat another adult and how I react to the adult's response -- even an adult over whom I have some level of authority.

If an LEO treats/thinks of his fellow citizens as children, he'll have a problem through out his career. He can be firm and respectful. Adult in charge of the situation to another adult w/o disrespect.

If I'm not open to a "I'd rather not, are you asking me or telling me?", I'd not "ask." I'd tell.

FWIIW -- I never sugar coat (or camouflage) a command or demand -- even to a child. Never use "would you", or "would you mind", or "could you" , etc. Never use the ...Women are from Venus, "The grocers are in the car", :The trash can is full", etc.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sounds like an interesting go with a newbie cop. Props on him not choosing to handle an unfamiliar handgun. I'm also in the camp of "Certainly officer, though I hope you don't take offense if I ask you to be please be very careful in handling my loaded pistol outside of its holster." I also wonder if keeping a spare holster in the car might not be a good idea? "Sure, I have a spare holster if you'd like to keep it safe..." [implicitly, like it already is in my holster].

I've had three traffic stops, none since carrying. First was fine -- stern and overly serious, but just on the right side of courteous. And I completely deserved the ticket. Second was very courteous and polite and though I thought he was a bit nit-picky, he was legally in the right in ticketing me. Third time was a joke... 3 mph over the limit, pulled over by Mr. Power Trip himself, practically a caricature of the over-the-top-testosterone cop. But I didn't end up with the ticket, so can I really complain? It's actually kinda funny how they worked out: most definitely deserved = stern officer + ticket, fair though perhaps unnecessary = polite officer + ticket, completely ridiculous = *&%^# + NO ticket.

I supposed if I had to choose, I'd go with a pain in the rear who doesn't cost me $$$ every time.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I got stopped because I didn't put the updated sticker on my tag. I informed him that I was armed and he said "That's fine. Just don't reach for it and we'll be okay."
    I usually say, "Tell you what: you don't show me yours, and I won't show you mine. Deal?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I usually say, "Tell you what: you don't show me yours, and I won't show you mine. Deal?"

+1

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post

That's a good one! Probably eases tention on both parties.

I dont usually put my stickers on until I get stopped. I once went two years without putting it on and I drive right past the police station everyday.I know it may be stupid but I like to see how long it takes.I make sure I dont speed or break any laws. I have only been stopped 2 or 3 times in the last 5 or 6 years. If I didnt I would never get the chance to talk to a cop.Except when I buy a used car I always take them to the k9 training site here and ask them to run a dog through it to make sure there is no trace of anything left in them.They are always more than willing and I dont have to worry about having to try to convince them that those seeds or whatever might be under the console or seat are really not mine.

FL has no duty to inform. I asked one of our deputies how he would prefer a "routine" traffic stop to go.

He would like to know we have a CWP and a firearm. Might not ever come up. But...high alert if he sees a gun (or handle) with no notice. Lets keep everyone safe.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links