First Time Stopped and Officer looked scared - Page 5

First Time Stopped and Officer looked scared

This is a discussion on First Time Stopped and Officer looked scared within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would expect a LEO to be stern, have a well pressed uniform, precise in their communication, and respectful (like a senior drill instructor). You ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I would expect a LEO to be stern, have a well pressed uniform, precise in their communication, and respectful (like a senior drill instructor). You can shoot and kill a BG in a very respectfull manner!!

I was stopped in a DUI check last weekend when I was back in Russell, KY for my brother's wedding. The KSP seemed very nice and respectfull. The only question I have is why they ask me where I was headed. It isn't really any of their business (as long as its legal of course, but only a fool would say they were on their way to commit a crime). I answered truthfully and said we where going home to one of the guy's house that was with me. Its not like the officer is coming over later after he gets through with the checkpoint (at least I don't think he is). Seems like a worthless question, maybe he was evauluating whether I was DUI.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Like I said, rude is a matter of perception. And when human perception is involved, definition is thrown out the window.

I agree with Sixto. Often people mistake sternness with rudeness. Just because a LEO is matter of fact and firm, does not make them rude. When I worked the security machines at the county courthouse, my partner and I(both former military, he was Army and I served in the Marines) caused a memo to be generated because people complained about us. All we did was use a command tone of voice. Some people dont take a command tone very well and will think that it is rude or that you are yelling at them. I've only been a LEO for 3 years now, but I can only remember approximately 3 times that I've yelled at someone(by my definition).
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    ...maybe he was evauluating whether I was DUI.
    Ya think...many types of questions get asked to evaluate the driver for potential crimes and/or illegal activities. All in the interest of doing their job.

Rick

i'm dreading the day

I recently received my CCW and am dreading the day I get pulled and have to hand my DL and CCW card to the officer. I know I am a law abiding citizen and I know it is "OK" and not unusual for me to have a concealed weapon now I am "official" but it is still going to be awkward.
    http://apartment211.com --- Making the home front secure one post at a time!!!

Senior Moderator
    Some people dont take a command tone very well
    weenies.

people that think they are above the law, have a high postion in their job or those that are very rich also feel somewhat intimitated by this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    weenies.

people that think they are above the law, have a high postion in their job or those that are very rich also feel somewhat intimitated by this.
    I'm not intimidated by a command voice, but I've served my country the same as the LEO is doing, and I would like to be treated with respect. I don't speed, I use my blinker, my registration is up to date, and I just simply do not give anybody a reason to hassle me. I haven't been pulled over in over 10 years, but I've had to stop at some checkpoints where I would describe the officer as rude.

I'm not breaking any laws. I'm going about my business, and if you feel the need to check my insurance, ID, alcohol concentration, purpose of visit, or any other reason that your boss thinks you should be out checking, you can do it with respect.

I respect you, you respect me. It's a mutual agreement.

As far as the people who are breaking the law by speeding, running a red light, not getting your registration, or whatever and you get caught, I have no sympathy for you. You disrespected the officer and society when you decided that the rules did not apply to you.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I respect you, you respect me. It's a mutual agreement.
    Works for me.

As far as the people who are breaking the law by speeding, running a red light, not getting your registration, or whatever and you get caught, I have no sympathy for you. You disrespected the officer and society when you decided that the rules did not apply to you.
    Not neccesarily. Just because I stop you for speeding doesnt mean that you are worthy of disrespect. You might not have even realized it till you saw my blue lights in your window.

I start off respecting everyone I encounter no matter what the infraction is. I let you set the tone of the stop. Respect me and I will respect you. Getting angry or having potty mouth usally dosent help things.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    The only question I have is why they ask me where I was headed. It isn't really any of their business (as long as its legal of course, but only a fool would say they were on their way to commit a crime).
    This is an easy one; They ask this because they want to see if
    A) you are going to lie, that would be a good indication something more is going on
    B) to see if you know where you are- another good indication of drugs or alcohol
    C) the question divides your attention
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Not neccesarily. Just because I stop you for speeding doesnt mean that you are worthy of disrespect. You might not have even realized it till you saw my blue lights in your window.
    I didn't mean to imply that an infraction automatically made it open season for a LEO to be rude.

It's pretty well known that out of date tags/stickers, speeding, running redlights, etc sometimes lead to people getting caught for more serious crimes.

What frustrates me is when somebody talks about how unfair it was that an officer treated them like they were a criminal after they had just commited a crime in the officers presence.

When you start out by breaking the law, the "I'm a permit holder and officers should automatically trust me." argument just doesn't wash.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

What frustrates me is when somebody talks about how unfair it was that an officer treated them like they were a criminal after they had just commited a crime in the officers presence.

When you start out by breaking the law, the "I'm a permit holder and officers should automatically trust me." argument just doesn't wash.
    Me too, I think it comes from the whole "I'm special" Barney movement.

The permit/trust things gets my skin crawling too. People think that the "back round" check is really something... it isn't. It simply means you haven't been convicted of any serious crime, it doesn't mean you haven't committed one or that you never intend to.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The last time I was stopped a young officer (30ish) stepped out of his car with a black toboggin type hat on that was inbroidered with LMPD he was tall and fit.He looked like he was going to be a *****.I figured he was going to quickly let me know he was in charge and I was feeling this was going to be a bad night. He approched my window staying at the door post and sternly said "Good afternoon sir.Ill need your Lic,Reg and proof if Ins."I said"Yes Sir"I handed them to him w/ccdw.He asked why I gave him my ccdw I told him because I was armed.He asked where it was and proceded to tell me why I was stopped.At no point was he friendly but he was very professional.Always addressed me as sir and never broke from his command voice but Before he told me I could go he thanked me for informing him I was armed . I came away knowing he was in control of the stop at all times but he was never disrespectful to me.I didnt
    make a new buddy and knew he didnt want to hang with me But I felt good knowing this young man was on our police dept. I could see why someone with a poor me attitude might feel he was rude I expected him to be cocky when I saw him but he showed respect and you could tell he demanded it also.

You know, it really wasn't a bad stop...

Truly, I don't see the need as a routine to disarm every lawful CCW permit holder you come in contact with as a course of business, however, that's just me. If it makes the officer feel safer, no biggie... I'm not going to be offended. If the officer feels he has a reason he's perfectly within his right to disarm me.

And while we don't know for sure... It appears the officer was a little surprised to see a "cocked" 1911, a weapon he was probably not familiar with, and chose not to handle it. To me, that shows the officer, rookie or otherwise is able to think on his feet and has some actual gray matter between his ears. Good for that!

Like Sixto said... Most LEO's are not gun aficionado's and expert gun handlers knowing the nomenclature of every type and platform.

A lot of officers only know their duty weapon platform and maybe one or two others. This is part of why I don't believe a LEO necessarily needs to disarm every CCW holder they come in contact with, but again, he has the right to, and I won't take offense... Unless he ND's MY Weapon!... Then we have serious issues that will be handled at a later place and time, if I'm not lying at the side of the road bleeding to death.

Do I personally feel they should know more about firearms that a lot of them do? Sure... But LEO's around my house make 24K-26K/yr. and I don't fault them for not knowing more than they do. They do shoot a lot with their guns and that is a good thing but training budgets are not huge!

Another good thing is that as the car stop drew on, he appeared to be more at ease, and more friendly.

Sorry about the ticket, but all in all, I don't feel it was a bad stop.

The possibility of being a rookie, may have played a role... but I bet the death of a fellow LEO that same week on an expired plates stop more than likely played a huge role.

Anyways... just my .2 cents... I just don't think it was necessarily a bad stop or even a poorly trained cop. YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Newkirk View Post
    I recently received my CCW and am dreading the day I get pulled and have to hand my DL and CCW card to the officer. I know I am a law abiding citizen and I know it is "OK" and not unusual for me to have a concealed weapon now I am "official" but it is still going to be awkward.
    Here's a thought... Don't get pulled over! Just RUN from them!

Seriously, Don't sweat it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links