Colorado non-resident permit

This is a discussion on Colorado non-resident permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may be going to Colorado later this year, and they do not have reciprocity with Virginia yet. They also no longer accept non-resident permits ...

Thread: Colorado non-resident permit

Colorado non-resident permit

I may be going to Colorado later this year, and they do not have reciprocity with Virginia yet. They also no longer accept non-resident permits from other states, such as Utah, Florida, etc, that are common. Does Colorado issue a non-resident permit? I've looked around and can't find anything saying they do, but I couldn't find anything saying they don't, either. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    RedKnightt

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

2. Remove Ads

18-12-203. Criteria for obtaining a permit.
    (1) Beginning May 17, 2003, except as otherwise provided in this section, a sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant who:

(a) Is a legal resident of the state of Colorado. For purposes of this part 2, a person who is a member of the armed forces and is stationed pursuant to permanent duty station orders at a military installation in this state, and a member of the person's immediate family living in Colorado, shall be deemed to be a legal resident of the state of Colorado.

I can't find anything about non-resident permits...as far as I know, they don't issue them.

i believe they have a no non res policy there. i will call my cousin (who lives in colo) and have him call and make sure
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I can tell you it's about $162.50 for a permit. $100 for the sherriff and $62.50 for the FBI background. Every county has their own looking permit and not a state standard permit which is another reason why my CCW instructors recommended getting a Utah permit for "backup" as it's easier recognized and verified when in other states. Here is my county website if you want to contact them with questions:

www.co.weld.co.us

Also: You must apply in person and it takes every bit of 8 weeks to receive.
    Last edited by tinkerinWstuff; June 23rd, 2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add info

I just had a thought for a business venture...could I rent out my spare bedroom to someone living out of state and they could use that as an addy for getting a permit.
    would this be legal or would I be opening up a can of worms.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denverbear View Post
    I just had a thought for a business venture...could I rent out my spare bedroom to someone living out of state and they could use that as an addy for getting a permit.
    would this be legal or would I be opening up a can of worms.
    They have to change their legal residence, not temporary residence from what I can tell. Even if it would work, somehow it still sounds like a recipe for trouble eventually. The person got into a personal defense situation that went to court.... how long before lawyers find out there was funny business and you were involved? You energy might be best spent petitioning for reciprocity.

Red,

I regret to say that I think you may be SOL on CC in Colo.

The reason may be b/c VA doesn't recognize Colo b/c Colo doesn't have every Colo CHL on an LE accessible 24/7 database. I think that's why NV doesn't recognize Colo.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I believe Ken nailed it - my Dad works for a rural SO in CO and I could not get one (the Sheriff did offer me a job though...)

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    CO. doesn't issue to a non resident.

Where have you heard or read that CO. doesn't honor a non resident permit from a recipatory state? (Example: Florida)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    CO. doesn't issue to a non resident.

Where have you heard or read that CO. doesn't honor a non resident permit from a recipatory state? (Example: Florida)
    Paragraph (1)(b) here: Colorado Bureau of Investigation, or the part in red here: Colorado Bureau of Investigation
    Last edited by rmarkob; June 23rd, 2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added 2nd link.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

they do not issue. but it is an open carry state
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm unhappy that I can't CC while in the state, but keeping it in my car/hotel room is better than nothing. I have no problem with OC, but I'm going there for training and I'm not about to OC on company time and dime. I'm going to be in the Lakewood area near (but not on) the Federal Center. If there are any good places I shouldn't miss for food or fun, friendly locals are encouraged to PM me.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Be safe out there.
    RedKnightt

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Paragraph (1)(b) here: Colorado Bureau of Investigation, or the part in red here: Colorado Bureau of Investigation

Thanks Bro!

Only if you are a Senator or Congressman, can you seem to live one place and call another your residence.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Colorado does not issue permits to non-residents and recognizes permits from a reciprocal state only for residents of that reciprocal state.

Open carry is generally legal everywhere in the state except the City and County of Denver, but local governments can prohibit open carry (not concealed carry) in a specific place by posting all public entrances to the place.

You can carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a permit anywhere within Colorado, and it "shall not be considered concealed" according to the relevant statute.

If you want to do your own research, go to Legal Resources . Click on "Colorado Revised Statutes", and use the search function for "firearm", "shall not be considered concealed", etc.

Links