Knife in back pocket a give away? - Page 2

Knife in back pocket a give away?

This is a discussion on Knife in back pocket a give away? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Kerbouchard Barrett, I believe you are over-thinking this whole carry thing. 1) Nobody notices 2) Nobody cares 3) Most people don't know ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife in back pocket a give away?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Barrett, I believe you are over-thinking this whole carry thing.

1) Nobody notices
    2) Nobody cares
    3) Most people don't know what 'strong side' is.
    4) Most people would not notice if you had a bandoleer and an AK.
    5) Nobody cares what knife you are carrying.

I carry my knife and cell phone on my left side when I pocket carry. My cell is a historic piece of. . . equipment that my job issues and nobody has noticed that I carry it on different sides...I seriously doubt anybody is paying attention to which pocket you are carrying your knife in, and I doubt even more that they would think it was because you were carrying a pistol.

Relax! The most consistent way to get made is to adjust your gun or be self-aware. Nobody cares what you have on your belt or in your pocket or which side your knife is on.

People are generally oblivious to anything that does not involve Mary Kate or the newest IPOD. They are definitely not going to notice you carrying your knife in your back pocket.
    I could not have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That said, think about which group you're more worried over: the group that's oblivious and wouldn't be harming you anyway, or the group actively scoping for marks and opportunities?
    I couldn't agree with you guys more. I don't care about the 90% of the population that are oblivious, ccw'ers or law enforcement. It's the ones like in the thread I linked to above that are training themselves to look for clues. But I suppose at that point they're professionals and there's not much else I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett4x4 View Post
    But I suppose at that point they're professionals and there's not much else I can do.
    just be on your guard, that is all you can do.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I can find a cop in a crowed of one hundred people. It is a filtering process and not because of any one thing. It is not hard to identify a wolf or a sheep dog. Most people are so they are grazing and not paying much attention. Now wolves and sheep dogs are predators and they are paying attention. It usually starts with a glance. He noticed you noticing him, type situation. You will find each other, which refers back to my post titled, "are you eyeballing me?"

Now that I have made eye contact and see that you are friendly, I often check to see if they are a police officer. This is done by checking for a knife, clothing (for possibility of concealed carry), shoes and hair cut. Often if eye contact wouldn't have been made, I wouldn't have checked the other things.

But it might start by noticing a knife, then checking to see if you are paying attention to their environment. Some former DOC inmates are conditioned to check for things like this. When they are in prison they strive to notices every detail about the guards. They can tell you; how many keys they have on their key chain and what type of vehicle they drive, where they carry their raido, baton, spare handcuff key and so on... The point is most people don't notice, but some do.

Everyone I know clips their knife in their back pocket when they have dress pants on. The pocket isn't at the correct angle. PPL will just think you were use to the back pocket from wearing dress pants.

Maybe I've got a weird shaped butt. If I carry my knife in my back pocket, it works it's way loose when I sit and can actually push out.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    Now that I have made eye contact and see that you are friendly, I often check to see if they are a police officer. This is done by checking for a knife, clothing (for possibility of concealed carry), shoes and hair cut. Often if eye contact wouldn't have been made, I wouldn't have checked the other things.
    Even before I became a LEO, I would take notice of people who actually made eye contact. I would make it a game to see how many people walking down the street would not make eye contact or walk with their heads down, avoiding all eye contact. Very few people will actually make eye contact or maintain eye contact.

As to your other claim, yes, I have a military style haircut, but that style is pretty common in my area. Off-duty, my clothes, shoes, etc, are all pretty common. Nothing I wear off-duty screams cop. My only tell would be paying attention to my surroundings.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I have carried a CRKT M-16 nestled next to my tri-fold wallet weak side rear pocket for 7+ years now. Can't see it whether wearing jeans or dress pants. Have even been patted down without it being found! Makes a good last-ditch surprise if I ever have to "give up" my wallet. Try it, you may like the way it rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensgrinder View Post
    I have carried a CRKT M-16 nestled next to my tri-fold wallet weak side rear pocket for 7+ years now. Can't see it whether wearing jeans or dress pants. Have even been patted down without it being found! Makes a good last-ditch surprise if I ever have to "give up" my wallet. Try it, you may like the way it rides.
    I carry the same knife EDC. Out of curiousity, who patted you down and missed a knife?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Virtually every one who carries a handgun also carries a folder. If I see someone with a knife clipped to his or her pocket, I will look for bulges indicating a handgun. I do this just for recreation---I won't display the 2A Brothers' secret recognition sign...

I can't always tell, but I do notice and wander a lot. But the point is that the bulge under the shirt where the gun is, is easier to spot, if I am already looking you over, because you made eye contact, or I noticed a folder. With that said, I open carry a tactical folder all the time. I may be crazy, but I don't particularly care if somebody knows that I am carrying a gun. I think that the knife and the gun deter bad guys. They don't want to get shot or stabbed anymore than you do.

I've worn a folder in my rear pocket for so long that all my jeans have a perfect worn impression of a Benchmade. Even without it, it still looks as if it's there. Nobody has ever said anything about it - nearly everybody in these partes wears one.

A real nice folder is still one item I am allowed to carry at work. Rumor was, there was an HR person in the building that tried to make all the knives, leathermans and anything in the ballpark banned on property. I had a friend that had a large cooking knife used to cut a cake and she was told she had to take it home, not to her car, home. She was a former Marine and refused to take it home, she said if she left she would sign a full day of work.

That HR person is gone and we are still at work. It is the one item that government security doesn't ban. I had my knife measured several times when I worked in a secured area. Always returned it (a Case XX Shark's tooth). It wasn't a one hander. They may take a fast opener (Kershaw) from me.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have three pocket knives (and one fixed blade) on me that have clips, but they are usually covered by my shirt. Even if they aren't, nobody has ever said anything to me.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I would not carry my knife clipped to my back pocket. I don't want to get stabbed in the back with my own knife.

I also don't carry IWB past 3:30, same thing but with my own gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links