Knife in back pocket a give away?

This is a discussion on Knife in back pocket a give away? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Normally I keep my knife clipped to my right pocket but after experimenting with a pocket holster and a right hand OWB holster, getting to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife in back pocket a give away?

Normally I keep my knife clipped to my right pocket but after experimenting with a pocket holster and a right hand OWB holster, getting to the knife is difficult or will likely dislodge the knife. So then I thought I'd start carrying it in my back pocket.

But is this a give away that I'm carrying? Do people with something in their strong arm pocket keep their knives in the back pocket?

Barrett, I believe you are over-thinking this whole carry thing.

1) Nobody notices
    2) Nobody cares
    3) Most people don't know what 'strong side' is.
    4) Most people would not notice if you had a bandoleer and an AK.
    5) Nobody cares what knife you are carrying.

I carry my knife and cell phone on my left side when I pocket carry. My cell is a historic piece of. . . equipment that my job issues and nobody has noticed that I carry it on different sides...I seriously doubt anybody is paying attention to which pocket you are carrying your knife in, and I doubt even more that they would think it was because you were carrying a pistol.

Relax! The most consistent way to get made is to adjust your gun or be self-aware. Nobody cares what you have on your belt or in your pocket or which side your knife is on.

People are generally oblivious to anything that does not involve Mary Kate or the newest IPOD. They are definitely not going to notice you carrying your knife in your back pocket.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Not a chance anyone notices... before I started carrying I was oblivious...

Though as an aside, there was a guy in a coffee shop the other day who was very self-aware, at least so far as I could tell, who was carrying a fanny pack and had a knife in his back right pocket. I would have given 2-to-1 odds he was carrying in that fanny pack.

So other CCW'ers might suspect that you're carrying, but I'm certain nobody else will notice.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Your issue should be how easy is it to get to? That's the only thing that matters...no one else is really going to care (or notice).

I should add...that here in FL, my cover shirt keeps all weapons hidden...I just want them where I can easily retrieve them if needed...

Stay armed...for easy access...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

But according to this thread, criminals do take notice.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aming-gun.html

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    So other CCW'ers might suspect that you're carrying, but I'm certain nobody else will notice.
    +1
    None of the would interpret the carrying of a folding knife clipped to a pocket as a maybe they're also carrying a concealed handgun.
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

I don't carry my knife (Delica) clipped to the same pocket as my gun when I pocket carry.

I usually clip my knife in my right rear pocket, but if I carry my Seecamp back there, I'll move the knife to the right front. Not because it draws any attention to the pocket, but because I find that if I leave the knife in the rear pocket.

a) the knife can impede my draw and....
    b) that the holster tends to push the knife up and out when I sit.

Just the way it seems to work best for me.....

I'm with the others here who've said that almost no one will notice. Those that do won't think twice about it. LOTS of people carry knives clipped in their pockets. Heck, around here you're in the minority if you don't carry a folder, clipped in your pocket. Regardless of which pocket it's clipped in, it is not going to make people assume that you have a gun.

Brian

I stopped wearing clip knives because I figure there is no reason to draw anyone's attention to my waist area that might lead me to get outed. It will draw some people's attention...can't say how many for sure. Better safe than sorry IMHO. I didn't see much of an advantage to having the knife clipped.

My knife resides in my left pocket all alone. I can get it out and open in an instant with my left hand. I moved my keys to my right pocket, this took some time to get used to...I still try to put them in my left pocket while exiting my car from time to time.

I would suggest finding 1 way to carry things, and 1 way only. In the heat of the moment with your adrenaline pumping, BG bearing down, I don't know how well I'd be able to remember what way I was carrying this particular day. My $0.02.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I carry my defensive knife clipped in my week side back pocket, that is my "can't get to me gun" back up, fighting to retain my gun, or pinned on that side, Etc. I carry another knife in my strong side back pocket for cutting things, opening boxes Etc, My defensive knife will not cut anything except a BG.

I agree with the others, no one notices.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett4x4 View Post
    But according to this thread, criminals do take notice.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aming-gun.html
    Yeah, well that is with a fanny pack. I often assume the same thing when I see one, especially in Texas as the quoted post indicated. But barring the fanny pack (or even a man purse) I think the won't notice.

As stated, one becomes more aware of one's own situation and that around them when they start to carry, or prep to carry in my case.

I think you are over thinking it which is understandable as many of us do from time to time. New shirt (does this one print?), new belt (does it sag too much?), new holster (is the barrel visible?), etc.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

nobody notices, and around here, everyone carries a folding knife clipped in a pocket. Well I say everyone. 50% of adult men at least, I would venture.

Now, a fanny pack... if you do not have velcro-closure athletic shoes, or are not wearing calf-height socks with sandals and shorts, then the fanny pack is a dead giveaway that you are carrying, at least around here. The local vernacular is "dork pack".

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    I'm with the others here who've said that almost no one will notice. Those that do won't think twice about it. LOTS of people carry knives clipped in their pockets. Heck, around here you're in the minority if you don't carry a folder, clipped in your pocket. Regardless of which pocket it's clipped in, it is not going to make people assume that you have a gun.
    Same thing around these parts--my sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Not a chance anyone notices... before I started carrying I was oblivious...
    Of the portion of people who are oblivious, probably 99.999% would fail to notice, yes.

But, there's another group, the ones who are trying to mark targets. Some of them will, almost certainly.

Though, notice what, exactly? That you're carrying a knife? Sure. Does it suggest you're carrying an alternative to that knife? To the extent there's a "mall ninja" type of look, which others pattern their dress after, possibly. Still, I agree with others that very few will notice.

So many folks have so many things of different sorts hanging off their belts and pockets, these days, that it's probably fair to say that few (if any) will notice most anything you do during your daily travels.

That said, think about which group you're more worried over: the group that's oblivious and wouldn't be harming you anyway, or the group actively scoping for marks and opportunities?

My suggestion: blend in to the degree you're able. In an area where hanging stuff is SOP, then fine. In an area where it stands out like a sore thumb, there's your answer.

Myself: I carry a knife, but it's inside the pocket. Slower to deploy, yes, but hidden. I have previously had it dangling on a pocket's hemmed edge, but I have had a few instances of colleagues and friends noticing. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Most real guys won't notice. The soccer Maddies ("Mommy-Daddies," since they are androgenous)might cringe, but it will have no significance other than that they would cringe if you were only carrying the knife.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links