Colorado travel/hunting question

This is a discussion on Colorado travel/hunting question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning a hunting trip to Colorado for next year. I have an Indiana permit. I see that Colorado recognizes my Indiana permit, and Colorado ...

Thread: Colorado travel/hunting question

Colorado travel/hunting question

I'm planning a hunting trip to Colorado for next year. I have an Indiana permit.

I see that Colorado recognizes my Indiana permit, and Colorado is also an open carry state. Any thing special I need to know when traveling to Colorado?

We will be up in the mountains and onto BLM land...are there any restrictions going onto BLM land? I have been unable to find any information on this.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

2. Remove Ads

JRG
    Hey, I'm in Danville, IN and use to live in the high country of Colorado. Where are you going hunt? When I was a resident we use to open carry everywhere we hunted, private, BLM, Forest, etc and never an issue, its not like you aren't armed anyway.
    If you haven't hunted Colorado before you are in for a great hunt and will see some beautiful country.......

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I usually open carry when riding horse up in BLM land or national forest land. Watch for visitor centers/ranger stations. They would be government buildings and thus off limits to open or conceal. Looks like a great spot to check a map, use the restroom, and pick up a souvenier but don't forget that pistol.....

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I usually open carry when riding horse up in BLM land or national forest land. Watch for visitor centers/ranger stations. They would be government buildings and thus off limits to open or conceal. Looks like a great spot to check a map, use the restroom, and pick up a souvenier but don't forget that pistol.....
    I thought Government were only off limits in Colorado if they had screening machines or it was posted on the main doors?

I'll look again at the packet the Sheriff's Department gave me, but I was pretty sure this is how it is defined for Colorado. I was specifically interested in this area since I work in a Government/Public building myself.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Here is what I found in my Colorado packet:

"CARRY RESTRICTIONS
    A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state except where specifically limited as follows:
    1. A person may not carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

2. A person may not carry a concealed handgun on to the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high or high school.

3. A person may not carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place.

4. A person may not carry a concealed handgun where it is disallowed by a private property owner, private tenant, private employer or private business entity."

I'm not sure in #1 what defines "prohibited by Federal Law". Still looking.

EDIT: I did find "prohibited by Federal Law" means places like Courthouses and Federal Buildings, although I would think those places would have screening devices. I know Court Houses do, therefore #3 comes into play
    Last edited by dkpeppard; June 24th, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Updated "prohibited by Federal Law"
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

If you find something otherwise, let me know. They way it was explained to me and how I read it, a visitor center on national forest land is a federal government building and off limits just like the post office.

Topic for another thread, but my question regarding the proposed change to CCW in National Parks; still restricts the buildings constructed within the park so seems to me you couldn't walk into a toilet facility in Estes Park while carrying.

You beat me to the post but rule 1 is what gets you. Prohibited by Federal Law and a visitor center or ranger station on National Forest and maybe BLM land is a federal building.

If you see it otherwise, let me know.

You beat me to the post but rule 1 is what gets you. Prohibited by Federal Law and a visitor center or ranger station on National Forest and maybe BLM land is a federal building.

If you see it otherwise, let me know.
    Well, I'll have to investigate further. The building I work in is a Public building. I work for the Government on a Local level. We own the building and we lease floors to both the State Police and Feds. They all carry. We have no screening devices and no signs posted barring weapons.

Sorry for going partially off topic, but I guess it brings up some good points to consider.
    Glock G26 - Generation 3

I get confused on the state and local government requirements because I travel to so many different states all the time. Many of them do have restrictions on things like city council meetings, police stations blah blah blah. But it sounds like you are probably in the clear. Don't have time to look further right now, on my way to catch a plane to Utah and need lots of time to jump thru the hoops of checking my firearm at DIA.

I get confused on the state and local government requirements because I travel to so many different states all the time. Many of them do have restrictions on things like city council meetings, police stations blah blah blah. But it sounds like you are probably in the clear. Don't have time to look further right now, on my way to catch a plane to Utah and need lots of time to jump thru the hoops of checking my firearm at DIA.
    Travel safe, friend.

I will start a separate thread on this and will link it in here.

EDIT: Here is the link: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-scenario.html
    Glock G26 - Generation 3

I plan on OWB carry, I'll also have a hunting rifle with me, so I don't see an issue at all with it. Just wanted to make sure. Won't be going near any govt bldgs.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    No big deal at all. Assuming you have a permit, I would keep it concealed while traving. When I hit the mountains, I usually open carry so it is accessable with the rest of my gear on. No permit required to open carry and totally acceptable on BLM or National Forest.

Links