Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea?

This is a discussion on Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Depends on which logo as to whether I'll wear it around town casually. S&W, Remington, Browning are all commonplace and dime a dozen. You should ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea?

Depends on which logo as to whether I'll wear it around town casually. S&W, Remington, Browning are all commonplace and dime a dozen. You should wear them around here so you CAN blend in! Now Glock, XD Gear, H&K, Sig etc... don't exactly bring back memories of your grandpappy's duck gun and as much as I love them I would not wear their shirts around town casually.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Depends on largely where you are. Here in central Virginia gun company logos are fairly common. About the only clowns that object are the anti-gun northern Virginia transplants (not all northern VA transplants are anti) and those antis from futher north. Open carry is legal here to and every now and then one of these antis call the police, the police come out and straighten the anti out. Sometimes I wish the antis would give the local police a reason for a little stick time. Unfortunately they seem to be a little too smart for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpeppard View Post
    I was just thinking of some CCW etiquette. Is it wrong to wear gun manufacturer attire if you CCW?

An example, I have a "Got Glock" hat which I love. I don't have my CCW yet, but my app is in and I have about 60 days left of the wait. Once my application is approved, is it a poor idea to wear my hat, or any other attire that shows I'm pro-gun, if I CCW? Would wearing clothing that advertises guns/weapons indicate to someone I may be carrying, or would most people shrug it off?

I love my Got Glock hat, but will definitely not wear it if it would potentially reveal something.

Thoughts?
    I would not be concerned about revealing anything when wearing your hat. I would be more concerned about how it would look if you had to use your firearm, heaven forbid. What impressions would that give the police when they show up. There may be pictures taken. If it comes down to a trial, how would it look to a jury if they were presented pictures from the DA showing you wearing that Glock hat? A good attorney can turn the tables on you and make you the criminal.

i know exactly what your saying limatunes
    ive been trianing in MMA for 8yrs and dont sport tapout gear because
    i see some fat guy wearing one of their shirts.
    i know he's not a fighter.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Quote Originally Posted by uakaos View Post
    i know exactly what your saying limatunes
    ive been trianing in MMA for 8yrs and dont sport tapout gear because
    i see some fat guy wearing one of their shirts.
    i know he's not a fighter.
    I love those guys. I get the biggest laugh out of that. They're the fighting world equivalent to the ricer pulling up in an '80 corolla with a fart can exhaust.

About the closest I'd come would be a clothing article that said "Gaston Rocks".....

But I don't, so never mind.....

Pretty much the only time I wear gunfu related cover is when I'm headed to a zone that supports as much such as the range.
    Otherwise I largely and generally do not sport that stuff in public.

"You want to be sort of invisible." - Exactlymypoint

Point taken and agreed. ^^
    Otherwise might as well open carry and/or wear a 'Have gun, will shoot' shirt.

- Paladin
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The other day I was flying and the flight attended was wearing his ID batch on a Glock lanyard. I am pretty sure he wasn't carrying on the flight ;-) (never got around to ask him about it)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank you all again for your feedback. Although my question may seem a little silly to some, I am taking my new gun training and CCW seriously and don't want to assume anything at this point. Later on, once I have some experience under my belt, I'll be able to understand things like this better, I'm sure. In the meantime, I'll turn to you fine people on these forums to help assist me. :)
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Is it wrong to wear gun manufacturer attire if you CCW?
    Wrong, no. Some choose to do it, some don't.

A question for those who don't: does your blend-in philosophy extend beyond gun-related shirts, for example, displaying the coiled rattlesnake and "Don't tread on me" on a yellow field?

Some of these replies

Wearing a Glock logo on a hat, a NRA T-shirt, or any # of other garments with gun advertising isn't going to get you into trouble with anyone.

It doesn't make you a bigger target than you are already. It doesn't scream "GUN!!!!" to anyone. It doesn't mean anything at all. LOTS of people wear gun apparel every day and you don't see them getting killed or arrested over it.

Give yourself a break people. Wear what you want and stop being paranoid.

My sister thought that "Semper Fi" was a sorority I was part of when I put the bumper sticker on my car.
    Priceless!

So----who has the happy face t-shirt with the bullet hole in the head?

An example, I have a "Got Glock" hat which I love.
    On the other hand, most non-carrying persons would have no idea whatsover what "Got Glock" means.

I gave my wife a little carrying case with the Ruger logo on it to carry some misc stuff. She routinely has it out around [non-carrying] friends, and not one of them even questioned what the logo was.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

DC Founder
    I don't have a problem wearing gun logo apparel. I don't believe that most people really believe that there is a connection between a person and the t-shirt they have on. I have a marathon t-shirt with a Budweiser logo on the back for their sponsorship of the event. I don't, nor have ever ran in or attended a marathon, nor do I drink Bud. But like the Phoenix Suns t-shirt (I hate basketball) or the Phoenix Cardinals t-shirt (I hate the Cardinals) I wear them because someone gave them to me.

I conceal my gun well enough I don't care if people know I'm a "gun guy" or just think someone gave me a t-shirt. They still won't know for sure. I try not to stick out in the crowd. As long as you achieve that, nobody gives you much scrutiny....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I don't even own a Glock!
    Isn't there a spot in your safe that is just screaming, "Put a Glock in here?"
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links