Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea? - Page 6

Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea?

This is a discussion on Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm It's only small stuff until one is targeted because of it. Awareness doesn't mean sweating. One can be aware and make ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's only small stuff until one is targeted because of it. Awareness doesn't mean sweating. One can be aware and make a minor change in behavior.
    To the one avoiding attack, it might well seem somewhat-greater-than-small stuff.
    We aren't talking about being in a war zone whee standing out will get you noticed and/or killed. We are talking about here in the U.S of A where walking around in public usually doesn't result in bad things happening.

We are talking about wearing shirts or hats that have something we like on them. Its not a big deal. If it were me doing the targeting, the last dude I would pick to mess with would be the one wearing a Glock or a Sig or a 1911 Tshirt or hat...I mean, heck, they might accidentally have a gun on them or something.

In this part of the country it will barely get you a second look and it could just start some conversation. I know up in the great white north strangers don't talk to each other, but here it is different.

Besides...I've got some cool looking "gun"shirts...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We're speaking of the pros/cons of advertising. Doesn't take a "war zone" to be picked out of the crowd.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    We're speaking of the pros/cons of advertising. Doesn't take a "war zone" to be picked out of the crowd.
    Tell me about it. Try having really curly hair like me. I get noticed alot..

Still...I think people worry too much about it. I think wearing the gun stuff is more noticable to people like us (gun people) than it is to most people that stay in condition white all the time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think wearing the gun stuff is more noticable to people like us (gun people) than it is to most people that stay in condition white all the time.
    I agree. It's the folks looking for it (ie, criminals in the "know") that we're cautious of. The C-white folks aren't the threat; they aren't the ones engaged in targeting people.

Administrator
    I was just thinking about this... Kids like to have stuff they like on their shirts, backpacks etc., like Big Bird, Power Rangers or Dora. When are we supposed to outgrow the need to have pictures of things we like on our clothing?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Clothing is the biggest give away here with Fanny Packs probably heading the list!
    Thumper, here in Southern Nevada, probably 80% of the tourist wear fanny packs. To me, they're probably the best way to carry concealed!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I was just thinking about this... Kids like to have stuff they like on their shirts, backpacks etc., like Big Bird, Power Rangers or Dora. When are we supposed to outgrow the need to have pictures of things we like on our clothing?
    When we breath out last breath,the heart beats just one more time and and our eyes see nothing but a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

Our last concious thought will be ...hmmm....I wonder what shirt they'll put on me when they lay me in the casket? Glock? Got Sig?
    Winchester? Happiness is an Armed Man, or Christian American Heterosexual Pro Gun American?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Some of these replies

Wearing a Glock logo on a hat, a NRA T-shirt, or any # of other garments with gun advertising isn't going to get you into trouble with anyone.

It doesn't make you a bigger target than you are already. It doesn't scream "GUN!!!!" to anyone. It doesn't mean anything at all. LOTS of people wear gun apparel every day and you don't see them getting killed or arrested over it.

Give yourself a break people. Wear what you want and stop being paranoid.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Wearing ... gun advertising isn't going to get you into trouble with anyone ... make you a bigger target than you are already ... doesn't scream "GUN!!!!" ... doesn't mean anything at all ... paranoid.
    And yet, a search will show several prior discussions in which folks who know (LEO's, others) have heard criminals indicate that the fanny pack, the knife's clip sticking out of the pocket, the manner in which someone's walking or fidgeting (to protect the hidden gun) are seen as indicators. The point is that it's no different than any other indicator that hinders blending into a crowd.

It's not paranoia. It's simple acceptance that blending in can be beneficial and that advertising can hinder that. It takes little more effort than opting to not watch Channel 4 on television tonight.

None of this is to say that bad things happen to those who advertise. It's simply acknowledging that indicators matter to those looking for them. Advertising is what it is. No more, no less.

Again, I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback here.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

VIP Member
    Good if it is made in the USA
    Just depends on where you are and what the good old boys wear.

I just wear everyday stuff around town. Av's jerseys are good and baggy but summer time is heated.

If you think about it. let us know how long it took for Denver to follow the law and issue your permit. When i got my permit from Denver it took 95 days, just in time for me to get the heack outta there and move to Aurora.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

Nothing but downside for me if I were to wear gun guy logo clothes. I go totally gray man, or so I think. Chicks seem to notice me wherever I go.

Occasionally I'll sport the Gunsite raven ball cap but that's it.

If you know the logo most likely you'll keep it on the "down low" and I'm OK with that.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I saw a guy wearing a NYPD shirt today. He looked like a cop, although I doubt he worked for NYPD. These shirts are popular. In fact I was given one of these shirts by my Father in Law who lives in New York and I gave it away to another officer. I'm with SIXTO on the fact that I don't want to advertise or pretend to be apart of something that I'm not.

I also saw a guy today wearing a tap out shirt. He might have been a great fighter, or as I suspect, an amateur fighter at best. I would rather be the gray man and surprise him if I had to defend myself against him. He was kinda throwing all of his cards out on the table. But him wearing that shirt might be a good tactic for him. Most people would not want to take the chance and find out weather he was a great fighter or just wearing the shirt. Intimidation is a weapon even without the skills to back it up, although it could backfire.

I have old martial arts shirts and a few old police academy shirts. I don't mind wearing the martial arts shirts from time to time, but I avoid wearing anything with guns or police on it. I have stated that I don't mind so much if people realize that I'm carrying and this is true, but I don't want to hold up a bill board advertising it either. If you do wear this type of clothing then just make sure you have the hardware on you to go along with it.

I was thinking of this last summer and decided to try a little experiment.

I open carry most of the time in my town of Arlington Tennessee, not far from Memphis. It is very common to see people open carry here by the way so please, no comments on why I shouldn't do it. I know some don't like OC but I don't want to hear about it.

Anyway, I have open carried since we moved here 3 years ago. I have only had 2 comments on my gun, both from LEO's, one on duty and one off, both were comments on what was carrying and that they were happy to see more of us civilians carrying.

Regular sheeple have never commented, or as far as I have been able to tell even noticed the Glock 23 on my right hip.

I have a SigArms T-shirt that I have had for a few years.I decided to wear it out one day while carrying in our town. But, I concealed the G23 with the shirt. I got 4 comments on the shirt. 4 people, who I did not know actually asked me about the shirt. One asked if I worked for Sig. One asked where I had gotten the shirt. And 2 asked if I was a cop.
    No one asked if I was carrying a gun.

But the conclusion I came to was: the common sheeple idiot walking around in what I refer to as "Atomic condition white" is more inclined to notice what clothing you are wearing than the fact that you might have a handgun on your hip.

Humans are amazing creatures, and honestly, I wonder sometimes how we we made it to the top of the food chain.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links