Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea?

This is a discussion on Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just thinking of some CCW etiquette. Is it wrong to wear gun manufacturer attire if you CCW? An example, I have a "Got ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea?

Wearing gun logo clothing and carrying a bad idea?

I was just thinking of some CCW etiquette. Is it wrong to wear gun manufacturer attire if you CCW?

An example, I have a "Got Glock" hat which I love. I don't have my CCW yet, but my app is in and I have about 60 days left of the wait. Once my application is approved, is it a poor idea to wear my hat, or any other attire that shows I'm pro-gun, if I CCW? Would wearing clothing that advertises guns/weapons indicate to someone I may be carrying, or would most people shrug it off?

I love my Got Glock hat, but will definitely not wear it if it would potentially reveal something.

Thoughts?
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    You want to be sort of invisible. Not that a Glock hat is necessarily going to say "Hey, I am carrying a Glock" but the more you blend in the better. Just dress like the average Joe walking in the mall.

Let's take worse case scenario. You are in a bank/jewelry store or whatever and two guys come in to rob it. They see your Glock hat. They may instantly assume you are carrying or at least suspect you are. You are going to be "searched".

I would not hesitate to wear it at the range, but just walking down the street, you might want to reconsider.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    You want to be sort of invisible. Not that a Glock hat is necessarily going to say "Hey, I am carrying a Glock" but the more you blend in the better. Just dress like the average Joe walking in the mall.

Let's take worse case scenario. You are in a bank/jewelry store or whatever and two guys come in to rob it. They see your Glock hat. They may instantly assume you are carrying or at least suspect you are. You are going to be "searched".

I would not hesitate to wear it at the range, but just walking down the street, you might want to reconsider.
    Thanks. I guess if I had to ask, I was already suspecting the answer, and it makes perfect sense.

Thanks again.
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

VIP Member
    It probably depends a lot on where you live.

Around here there are a bazillion guys wearing ball caps... guns hats, fishing hats, I'm retired hats etc. Nobody pays much attention or seems to make any assumptions regarding CCW based on hats.

Clothing is the biggest give away here with Fanny Packs probably heading the list!

I agree 100% with exactlymypoint about being invisible.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Around here there are a bazillion guys wearing ball caps... guns hats, fishing hats, I'm retired hats etc. Nobody pays much attention or seems to make any assumptions regarding CCW based on hats.

Clothing is the biggest give away here with Fanny Packs probably leading the list!
    Exactly. Blend in with your surroundings. When walking with Zebras, wear stripes. When your with leapards, wear spots.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Clothing is the biggest give away here with Fanny Packs probably heading the list!
    Guess I'm glad I have an MTAC IWB holster for my G26 and a Smart Carry for my G19 :)

Thank you for the response.
    Glock G26 - Generation 3

Well, I live in a military town, so almost everyone on town is wearing "gun logo" clothing. I have seen glock hats. Got Sig stickers, S&W shirts. In this town they are pretty much just ignored. I personally don't wear gun logo clothes. I feel that if you want me to walk around with a S&W advertisement on my shirt, then I want to be paid. My feelings are that they would most likely be ignored by most people in most areas. However, i don't think wearing a Glock hat in San Fran would be a good idea. I doubt most people wuld think you are carrying, but most would probably think you are a pro-gun guy and may have a few guns at home. Most people are oblivious that people actually concealed carry guns daily. I catch more crap in this town for wearing my N.Y. Yankees hat than any other piece of clothing I own.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Senior Moderator
    Same here.

Since it seems that most people carry, its no big deal.

They can be good conversation starters though.

I've got a T-shirt that says..

Christian
    Amerrican
    Heterosexual
    Pro- Gun
    Conservative

just like that. That shirt prompts more conversation than any other I ever worn.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Staying as neutral as possible isn't a bad idea...again, it's where you go and what the other 'Romans' are doing.
    I'm even careful about where I wear my NRA hats, but that's just me.

Stay armed...incognito...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I wont wear gun logo stuff in the general public for a bunch of reasons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think we are over-thinking things here again. But that's just me though. Carrying doesn't dictate what I wear, it's all in how I wear whatever I'm wearing. Hats wouldn't even be an issue. I loved my H&K no compromise t-shirt (got a lot of "like the shirt" comments on that one) and used to have a nice MacVSog shirt as well. Black is my favorite color by the way no matter what the shirt says. I've never worn a shirt with a target on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Care to elaborate on some of your reasons?

I definitely appreciate all the feedback here on this.
    Glock G26 - Generation 3

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, please elaborate, I'm curious now.

Thanks

i only wear my glock shirt to gun shows and stuff.
    other than that i love my P.E.T.A. SHIRT
    PEOPLE
    EATING
    TASTY
    ANIMALS
    there is room for all gods creatures. right next to my mashed potatoes

people are too busy reading the shirt to try and look for my weapon
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Senior Moderator
    I've always found this topic ever so slightly humorous.

So, if I wear my Smith & Wesson ball cap, my Glock shirt, and my Federal Fusion sweatshirt, that means someone is going to assume that I'm carrying a Glock, my bug is a S&W and they are both loaded with Federal ammunition?

I don't even own a Glock!

I have a t-shirt that says, "USMC Rifle Squad." I've never been in the Marine Corps and certainly not on it's rifle squad.

I have a t-shirt that says, "Switzerland." I've never been to Switzerland.

I have another one that says, "(Something-or-another) Police Academy." I've never been in the police academy.

My point is that just because your shirt says something doesn't mean its true and I give just as much credit to other people who wear such t-shirts.

If I'm in a mall and a madman starts open firing on the good citizens shopping for nick-knacks and I look over and there's a guy with a "Got Glock?" shirt on I'm not suddenly going to feel better because there's a fellow carrier around.

And, no, I would not expect he is going to be specifically targeted because he has said shirt on.

We give some people WAY too much credit.

I've had people ask me what Glocks were, what Sigs were, and what a Smitt and Weston was!

My sister thought that "Semper Fi" was a sorority I was part of when I put the bumper sticker on my car.

A Walmart employee asked my husband what "Yuu-smick" stood for when she saw his "USMC" tattoo one day.

Even if you are wearing the shirt and even if people pay enough attention to even give a crap what you are wearing there is still a good chance they may not know what the heck it is.

I dress accordingly to my activities.

If I'm going to dinner with some friends I wear something nice. If I'm going to be digging in a field I wear grubs. If I'm just going to Walmart to pick up deodorant and cat food I wear whatever the heck I want. If that happens to be a "gun logo" shirt I'm not suddenly looking over my shoulder wondering who's spotted me and just how long it's going to be that they attack me for my gun.

It's just a shirt.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links