Got by at the court house

This is a discussion on Got by at the court house within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few days ago I had to go to the county courthouse here. Of course there is no carry. One of the only few places ...

Thread: Got by at the court house

VIP Member

Got by at the court house

A few days ago I had to go to the county courthouse here. Of course there is no carry. One of the only few places in this great state I can't carry.
    I was experimenting carrying my magazine a little farther back (12 double stacked for an XD ) When I got to the courthouse parking lot, I took off my gun and holster and felt for my magazine, I didn't feel it, so I went on in.
    I took everything out of my pockets to be scanned and went through the scanner. It beeped. I told them that last time it was my belt buckle, ( it's rather large ). He said "probably ". He took me asside and used the hand scanner and it beeped again around my waist, I lifted my shirt and said "it's the belt buckle". He said " yeah, go on".
    I did my business, went to my car, put on my holster, put my gun in the holster and looked for my magazine, I was quite shocked when I found it on my belt. Pretty good security heh? I felt a little nauseous.
    I talked to my friend who happen to just start working down there and he asked one of the security gaurds what would have happend had they found it. He said they would have probably just held it in a locker until I was done with my business. He said the same would have happend if they found my gun on me. I thought it would be a felony. I'm sure it would be in a federal courthouse.
    It could have just as easily been a small gun i got by with....

2. Remove Ads

I started in a Federal Courthouse with a knife and they said they couldn't hold it. I was required to take it to the car. In an airport attempting to board a plane with a gun is a crime. but not a knife. Seems strange!! Yeah, KY laws are fairly good, still can't carry in a bar like, NV, CO, UT, IN, and PA (I think my list is correct, not sure about PA).

On a related note I was stopped in KY (Russell, KY) for a "ID" check, We had four in the car, I was driving and we had a Glock in the back seat in a Glock box. The KSP officer looked at my CO driver's license, inside the car with his flashlight, and said carry-on. Not a word was said about the Glock, we proceeded into Ohio.

We had to go through the same ID check on the way back after the "beer run". The only problem I had with the KSP, was they ask me where I was goiing. What buisness was it to the KSP where I was going? It reminds me of "Papers, where's your papers????

Yeah---well, be careful lest you be tackled on your way to the elevator. Every time I go to the courthouse, there are sheriff's deputies everywhere. My county doesn't have a security scan, but my old one does. You're lucky and you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I don't know how many terrorists have been pinpointed in down town Kentucky, but rest assured, you'll likely be the first to take 'em down while law enforcement and homeland security stand by and watch. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    We had to go through the same ID check on the way back after the "beer run". The only problem I had with the KSP, was they ask me where I was goiing. What buisness was it to the KSP where I was going? It reminds me of "Papers, where's your papers????
    Not to defend, but he may just have been making conversation. They are usually pretty friendly guys. Always a few bad eggs though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I had to go to the courthouse (Jackson Co. MO) to pay my property taxes a while back.

I locked up my gun, took out my pocket knife and change, spare mags, leatherman and flashlight. I had a new holster with very hard to fasten snaps so I elected to leave it on rather than mess with it.

When I passed through the metal detector it of course went off. The deputy doing the hand wanding was busy yakking to her friends so I attempted to interrupt her and explain that it was the metal reinforcement in my empty holster setting off the detector.

She never really acknowledged my statement but proceeded to wand me, getting a loud "squeeeEEEE!" directly over my concealed holster. Where my loaded gun would be if I weren't honest. "You're OK. Go on through."

She never looked, felt me up, nothing. Just kept wagging her chin with her buddies.

I really kind of feel bad for not reporting her.

Joe

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So if you want to carry a gun into a courthouse, just stuff it under a Bubba buckle!

There was a guy over at OCDO that got busted for having a magazine that he DECLARED at the detector because he forgot to take it off. In VA, taking ammo into a courthouse (which he pleaded to instead of fighting it) is the same as the gun.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    I started in a Federal Courthouse with a knife and they said they couldn't hold it. I was required to take it to the car. In an airport attempting to board a plane with a gun is a crime. but not a knife. Seems strange!! Yeah, KY laws are fairly good, still can't carry in a bar like, NV, CO, UT, IN, and PA (I think my list is correct, not sure about PA).

On a related note I was stopped in KY (Russell, KY) for a "ID" check, We had four in the car, I was driving and we had a Glock in the back seat in a Glock box. The KSP officer looked at my CO driver's license, inside the car with his flashlight, and said carry-on. Not a word was said about the Glock, we proceeded into Ohio.

Very few states allow carry in a bar. Look how many states there are that you can't even carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol period. Kentucky is way above the majority on carry laws. Bars is about the only place you can't carry in Ky compared to many other states.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    A few days ago I had to go to the county courthouse here. Of course there is no carry. One of the only few places in this great state I can't carry.
    I was experimenting carrying my magazine a little farther back (12 double stacked for an XD ) When I got to the courthouse parking lot, I took off my gun and holster and felt for my magazine, I didn't feel it, so I went on in.
    I took everything out of my pockets to be scanned and went through the scanner. It beeped. I told them that last time it was my belt buckle, ( it's rather large ). He said "probably ". He took me asside and used the hand scanner and it beeped again around my waist, I lifted my shirt and said "it's the belt buckle". He said " yeah, go on".
    I did my business, went to my car, put on my holster, put my gun in the holster and looked for my magazine, I was quite shocked when I found it on my belt. Pretty good security heh? I felt a little nauseous.
    I talked to my friend who happen to just start working down there and he asked one of the security gaurds what would have happend had they found it. He said they would have probably just held it in a locker until I was done with my business. He said the same would have happend if they found my gun on me. I thought it would be a felony. I'm sure it would be in a federal courthouse.
    It could have just as easily been a small gun i got by with....
    I have worked the security machines at the county courthouse here. Granted, I know KY is very different than NJ, but my response to you saying its my belt buckle would have been, "well, take it off then". I had too many people attempt to bring in weapons to allow people to go inside the courthouse who are still setting off the metal detector and patting people down is my last resort(meaning pacemaker, hip,knee replacement, etc) I don't know if its your belt buckle or maybe its the gun you have IWB, knife, etc. We also would just have you put your weapon(s) in a locker until you are finished. Even LEO's on personal business have to secure their weapons. All that said, security machines are only as good as the person who is operating them.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Wait wait wait......you mean to tell me you forgot you were wearing a mag? How does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Not to defend, but he may just have been making conversation. They are usually pretty friendly guys. Always a few bad eggs though.
    It's not a "bad egg" kind of thing, or just making conversation. It's an intentional tactic police are taught, and a tactic that they willfully employ.

It sounds like he was talking about a "checkpoint" type of situation since he had to go through it on the way there and on the way back.

What business is it of theirs to do 'ID checks' ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    Wait wait wait......you mean to tell me you forgot you were wearing a mag? How does that happen?
    As I said, I was experimenting with wearing my mag farther back. I had on a new pair of cargo shorts that has a belt loop farther towards the front. It was hard to get in my pocket so I put the mag farther back. I felt where I always carry it and didnt feel it so I assumed I had already taken it off. I had taken out my pepper spray at a stop light, so thought I must have taken it off then.

Links