Travel thru airport, when 2 disarm?

Travel thru airport, when 2 disarm?

This is a discussion on Travel thru airport, when 2 disarm? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm curious when other people disarm and case their firearm? I have to fly several times a month and will usually take my Glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel thru airport, when 2 disarm?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Question Travel thru airport, when 2 disarm?

So I'm curious when other people disarm and case their firearm? I have to fly several times a month and will usually take my Glock with me. I've always unloaded and cased out in the parking lot when I'm departing, and then at a gas station or some parking lot before returning my rental car on the return flight. Then I don't get to re-arm myself until I get all the way out to my vehicle at the far end of the parking lot, often times, late at night.

I've considered staying armed until getting in to the terminal and locking myself in a bathroom stall to unload and case. Somehow being perched on a crapper in a public restroom doesn't seem like the best place to be unchambering rounds and emptying clips. Imagine dropping a round on the floor in a public bathroom let alone at the airport.

Maybe, it would be best to unchamber out at the vehicle and then empty clips in the bathroom?

I always have mine packed in the case and bag. For whatever reason I am not fearful of not having it ready when I enter the parking lot or the terminal.

I do not think it is a good idea to do as you have said. If in any manner someone became aware that you had a firearm and was handling it, I suspect you would get a fast visit from security folks.

Regards,
    Jerry

I'm usually dropped off right at the terminal with plenty of police around. I figure if something goes down I'd let the police handle it anyway rather than got shot trying to help. So I unload and secure it usually before I leave home -- but, at least one way, somebody else is generally packing in the car.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I agree it's likely to get a quick visit, but it is legal to be armed in the common areas of the airport, not past the security checkpoint.

I too don't find myself on as high of an alert in an airport parking lot but I guess I wonder if that's a false sense of security because it's in no way a secure area. There's a gazillion people traveling thru there. For all ya know, some guy is waiting in the parking lot for his girlfriend flying home from the Bahamas where she had some fling with an ex. He fly's off the nut and starts wacking people in the parking lot.....

I just thought it was an interesting topic for thought and others peoples ideas. The chances for trouble in an airport parking lot area are probably next to nothing. But does anyone expect that today is the day they'll need their firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    I'm usually dropped off right at the terminal with plenty of police around. I figure if something goes down I'd let the police handle it anyway rather than got shot trying to help. So I unload and secure it usually before I leave home -- but, at least one way, somebody else is generally packing in the car.
    That kind of brings up another point of interest for me on the same topic: With the price of fuel, I've been considering taking the shuttle bus from a parking area an hour away from the airport. So now do you go unarmed before getting on the shuttle?

Ohio is a perfect example of the how gun control laws turn honest citizens into criminals.
    1. Like CO, the Ohio Revised Code prohibits the possession of firearms beyond secure areas. So one can carry in an airport to help a friend with bags etc.

2. BUT there is another law that bans firearm possession in government owned buildings, and they MUST place a gunbuster sign at each entrance.

3. MOST major airports in OH are government owned.

4. What does this mean? It means that if you want to travel from OH with a firearm, you must first commit criminal trespass to get the gun (unloaded, in your locked container, separate from ammo) to the check-in counter.

Gun control is not crime control. It only turns citizens into criminals.

BTW- I travel to COS frequently, and re-arm in the restroom near the baggage claim.

Recently I have been flying out of KY though.
    Last edited by kimberland; June 25th, 2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: more info

Normal caveat applies...... State laws vary and you must know yours.

In Florida, you're not allowed to carry into any portion of the terminal at all, so I case and pack it at home rather than trying to do so in the parking garage.

If merely picking up or dropping off someone, I do not disarm. Obviously, I also don't go into the "secure" areas.

The few times I have traveled with a defensive sidearm, I have come to the airport one of three different ways: by train, driving myself, or by shuttle/taxi. I have then disarmed in a restroom. After disarming, I've headed back to the check-in desk to declare the item and check the bag.

Since I choose to not be disarmed whenever possible, I go armed during the inbound trip. Not ideal, but there aren't a lot of choices to (a) remain armed where possible, (b) avoid giving apoplexy and thrombosis to everyone within earshot, and (c) avoid having someone call in the cavalry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Smile

As a frequent traveller - here is my approach
    coming in to the airport - I unload in the trunk of the car - either are the rental car lot or the parking lot. If I'm getting dropped off- I unload before I leave to go to the airport.

On arrival - I go right to the restroom and load up. I keep my mags loaded. It is legal to keep your mags loaded. Just keep them in packaging that covers the exposed round at the top like your mag carriers. I use a MOLLE carrier and travel with 4 1911 mags. They are inexpensive at Cheaper than Dirt.

I've been traveling this way for 2+ years 2-4 times a week. I haven't had an issue in the past 18 months and only had 1 overall (a guy at Continental in Cleveland - NRA member to boot - after my complaint - I got a letter confirming that the guy was wrong and would be retrained). I did have to wait for 30 mins at LAX where they had never seen loaded mags before but they found the reg that said that loaded mags are OK and they sent me on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

In Florida, you're not allowed to carry into any portion of the terminal at all, so I case and pack it at home rather than trying to do so in the parking garage.
    Thanks for the heads up, David. On a recent flight to FL I had intended to retrieve my checked baggage and arm up in the restroom before meeting my ride at the curb. The only reason I didn't do so was because I didn't want to scare the sheep when they heard me racking the slide to chamber a round in the stall.

That could have been ugly, considering FL's laws!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by franktait View Post
    I keep my mags loaded. It is legal to keep your mags loaded. Just keep them in packaging that covers the exposed round at the top like your mag carriers. I use a MOLLE carrier and travel with 4 1911 mags. They are inexpensive at Cheaper than Dirt.
    Which Molle carrier do you use? I searched on the CTD site and found lots of tactical vest type carriers and hydration systems, but nothing that looked like a mag carrier.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I pack my stuff before I go to the airport. If leaving from home there is a gun in the car. When I arrive at my destinations I load and arm myself at the most convient and closest location. I do not handle any firearms in the airport. The only exception is if at check in the want see if it is unloaded. Most would not know if it was or not.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I pack my stuff before I go to the airport. If leaving from home there is a gun in the car. When I arrive at my destinations I load and arm myself at the most convient and closest location. I do not handle any firearms in the airport. The only exception is if at check in the want see if it is unloaded. Most would not know if it was or not.

Semper Fi
    +1...What he said!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I would unload at home or in car and pack in my suitcase to reduce the likelihood that I forget and walk through security. I know I am unlikely to forget, but the hustle and bustle of the airport can be distracting and the consequences can be fairly serious.

My experience has shown the terminals and check in area are quite safe. You are nearly always within shouting distance of an officer or two. If you are worried about the trip to the airport, have a carry buddy drive you or disarm upon arrival.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

That goes for Arkansas too. Here's an excerpt from the list of where you cannot carry in AR.
    Inside the passenger terminal of any airport, unless the handgun is encased for shipment by lawful transportation.
    Tom

Glock 19
    Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II
    Wilson Combat Tactcial Supergrade
    Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links