Florida CCW Listings

Florida CCW Listings

This is a discussion on Florida CCW Listings within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see that Florida is listing some licensee names on the web now. Go to http://www.wftv.com/news/5272863/detail.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida CCW Listings

Florida CCW Listings

I see that Florida is listing some licensee names on the web now.
    Go to http://www.wftv.com/news/5272863/detail.html
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

VIP Member
    The article itself is a good read and includes some pro-carry points.

Listing the names of permitholders serves no positive purpose and allows criminals to have a handy list of homes with guns, and points the way for anti employers and neighbors to discriminate and ostracize.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Yeah, I already fought this battle. Took it all the way to the State Attorney General and the Governor. It's legal UNLESS they cite the name of serving, retired or FORMER LEO's. Then it's a felony. Folks like the New Times here in Miami have been counselled for revealing that the former chief of police has a CCW Permit. My place of employment..well every school can be forced to give out the names and addresses of Teachers (they usually don't) to just about anybody who asks on the same basis. I let all my school sites know right up that they cannot do that to ME as a former LEO. But my complaints about this seem to have some legislators thinking about a privacy revision in the law. I'm working a similar measure to get all teachers notified of the presence of a felon in their classes. Liberals currently protect and shield these poor misbegotten creatures....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why they'd list the names and addresses on the website. I'm sure the argument is that the public has the right to know who holds a state license to do anything, but I would think that one would have a good chance of challenging it in court - privacy concerns would, I think, outweigh the need of the public to know.

It would be interesting if someone did a study based on crime statistics to see what percentage of burglaries in each county were committed against those who were versus those who were not licensed to carry. I bet you'd find that there'd be at least a slight difference, with those who are not on the licensed list being on top. But of course, paying for such a study wouldn't be a politically correct expenditure of tax dollars, right? Right?

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Lead Moderator
    The article did have some good points. Some of the language was a bit over the top.

In Central Florida, about one in 40 adults has a permit to pack hidden heat.
    Pack hidden heat??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Question Comparison Study

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    It would be interesting if someone did a study based on crime statistics to see what percentage of burglaries in each county were committed against those who were versus those who were not licensed to carry. I bet you'd find that there'd be at least a slight difference, with those who are not on the licensed list being on top.
    Then you could do a comparison study to see how many folks who were listed as a permit holder on the site had been burgled (residents NOT at home) so their guns could be stolen. Or how many had been robbed and shot first thing so as not to have a chance and then wallet and gun were taken....so the BG stalks them...and having the advantage of "surprise...." makes the kill. He gets the money and the bonus for a new gun.....That is until he runs into somebody who's not just a novice and takes the right to carry and defend oneself seriously.

It would be a dangerous game, but I know punks who might think they're up to the challenge. I teach some of them in my classroom. well...they actually don't learn...they usually sit there, rap with their buds and fail my class.....They sit in school between jail terms until they're old enough to be put out permanently.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Betty

Listing the names of permitholders serves no positive purpose and allows criminals to have a handy list of homes with guns, and points the way for anti employers and neighbors to discriminate and ostracize.
    good post
    pat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty

Welcome to Florida's Sunshine Law. What was intended to be used to keep track of goverment doings and avoid the corruption that comes from under-the-table dealings turned into a free-for-all access of individual records.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like Ohio's trick too! I have a FL non-res - wonder if they'll list me and those like me too!

It serves no useful purpose whatsoever - other than to strip legitate gun owners/carriers of their basic right to privacy. One of the biggest advanatges of CCW is the ''not knowing'' aspects as far as BG's go - which is why crime is so usefully controlled. But as has been mentioned, spreading folk's names around just could invite targeting - either for reasons of attempted gun theft or simply enabling BG's to be forewarned if they chose to try anything on.

IMO the only people who should know this info are the ''authorities'' - and that info to stay there. Hell - the FEDS can look folks up if needed but that's about as far as it need go.

Another slant - if this info is published then it strikes me it gets unpleasantly close to the publishing of sex offenders names - which I do totally endorse. But hey - CCW's are not in this league, pulleez.

(Frantic anti - ''OMG - my neighbor carries a gun" <horror> )
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Florida CCW lists

Yeh, I was surprised when I found that FL newspaper article ! As Betty said , the article did have though some real good info.The law here in KY ,at least I was told, is that even LEO's can't see our CCW lists (doesn't sound true though I know, but it's supposed to be). Also , supposedly again, the media (of all people!) can obtain lists but cannot ask for just any one person but must purchase the entire state list of CCW holders (for a goodly price I've heard). Money rules !!

I wonder... does a private detective or licensed Bounty Hunter or any such clearance count as LE? There's got to be some quasi-LEO status that one can obtain.

Florida CCW list

Well, the URL I originally posted this morning which referred to the Florida media article and listing the CCW holders names and addresses has now changed and does not now list the names !!????? I guess it seems they updated the news release and it no longer shows the 'clickable' county CCW lists . Don't know if it was removed for some ?? reason or just replaced by later news, etc ???? Hmmm

first thing you didnt mention is those people gave there names to a reporter who then had the full right of the 1st ammendment to freedom of the press and free speach. the state didnt publish those names the people gave away there names to the press!

our local paper did the same thing. they said it was in the public's interest. these reporters get me . they got phone calls and emails from all over and the list magically disappeared just like this one. maybe one day the reporters will get the idea concealed means concealed. i doubt they will, that would require some intelligence on their part.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky
    Well, the URL I originally posted this morning which referred to the Florida media article and listing the CCW holders names and addresses has now changed and does not now list the names !!????? I guess it seems they updated the news release and it no longer shows the 'clickable' county CCW lists . Don't know if it was removed for some ?? reason or just replaced by later news, etc ???? Hmmm
    They got pounded yesterday with calls and emails to their editorial staff as well as their advertisers and state legislators.

It happened about 3:15 yesterday afternoon, after what I suspect was a LONG day for whoever answers their phones.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links