Report: Flying with gun out of Ft Lauderdale and Raleigh/Durham

This is a discussion on Report: Flying with gun out of Ft Lauderdale and Raleigh/Durham within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry for being away so long but pressing matters like having fun shooting for a week were in the way. A buddy of mine and ...

VIP Member

Sorry for being away so long but pressing matters like having fun shooting for a week were in the way.

A buddy of mine and yours truly went via Delta Airlines from Ft Lauderdale to R/D to attend an IDPA match. Checking the gun in at Ft Lauderdale was absolutely painless. The gentleman at the counter was polite and professional which made the process a joy. A TSA agent was called to the counter, checked my guns and took the bag away himself.
    The only nasty part was that my luggage was over the limit by 9 pounds and I was charged $80! Incidentally 300 rounds of 9mm ammo weigh 9 pounds and that made it the most expensive reloads I ever made.
    Raleigh/Durham on the way back was about the same in professionalism & courtesy although the counter personnel were overwhelmed by passengers. No TSA agent came to check the luggage but the conveyor belt fed directly to the TSA X-ray machine placed about 20 feet away inside the secure area. Delta at R/D has a scale you can use right before the counters so I checked my luggage weight again. I had shifted a bunch of stuff from my bag to my carry on and I thought with no ammo other than my 3 mags worth of defensive BBs I was OK... nope, I was over by 4 pounds (I guess the goodie bag and other items picked up at the match were enough to screw me again) so 2 towels, and old t-shirt and shorts ended up in a waste basket. I checked in one pound under the limit

Note: If you suspect you are going to be over the limit with your luggage, take a spare duffel bag with you and split the load. You will be charged $25 for the extra bag instead of the $80 for overloading the plane. Does it make sense? Nope.
    Last edited by Miggy; June 25th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

It sound like you had more problems with your luggage than your firearm. Good, thats the way it should be when you fly with your firearm. I'm glad the airline personnel knew the proper procedures for your gun. I usually fly out of Fort Lauderdale so this is good to hear.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    You will be charged $25 for the extra bag instead of the $80 for overloading the plane. Does it make sense? Nope.
    Actually, on planes they worry about weight distribution perhaps more than actual weight; two moderate bags are better for loading than one heavy bag...

Glad the rest of the trip was painless. How'd you do at the match? (Was this the Carolina Cup?)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    Yep... I sucked....LOL
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    yea those over weight fees are killer. Most domestic airlines are 50 pound limit per bag. Measure your bag at home and give yourself a few extra pounds of space.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Links