CCW & Motorcycling

CCW & Motorcycling

This is a discussion on CCW & Motorcycling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I seem to remember there being a few posts talking about motorcle riding and ccw, however I can't seem to find it. I am curious ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW & Motorcycling

CCW & Motorcycling

I seem to remember there being a few posts talking about motorcle riding and ccw, however I can't seem to find it. I am curious what methods people have used, and found to work best for them.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have not yet managed to combine riding and carrying, but it has been discussed. There are methods for secure mounting holsters to the bike. A lot of folks pocket carry. I know one guy who uses an IWB with thumb break. I would be interested in getting a shoulder rig (probably an Andrews Monarch, with a back strap instead of belt tie-downs) for riding.

Some threads:

* http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...torcycle+carry

From a search on "motorcycle carry".
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I purchased a vest from CCWSUPPLY.BIZ that has a built in holster on each side. The only drawback is my Colt Defender is a little large for the holster. so in this case I usally carry my Bersa .380, much smaller but better than being unarmed.

I carry all the time while riding. When I first did it I used a covershirt and carried it at 3:00 IWB. The wind did not lift my shirt over the gun nor did any printing occur as I thought it would. I must say that I have a winsheild on my motorcycle and this helps to deflect most of the wind around me. Whatever method you use make sure your holster has good retention.
    NRA Member

My Kimber Ultra is my EDC...except...on my Harley! When riding, I tuck a Glock-36 IWB in a Fist #41 at 4:30-5:00 (behind right kidney)...secure and no problem with wind.

Stay armed...Harley-Davidson......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

TNK
    I normally just put my pistol in the top box, as I probably wont be riding along and using it anyhow. when I stop somewhere, whether it be a campsite, restaurant etc...I discreetly take it out of the top box and tuck it into my waistband. No one has ever noticed or said anything when I do this.

The other option I have thought about is outside carry using a holster with a thumb break . I have two such holsters for either of my carry pistols, so maybe I'll try it out one of these days.

One other option I've though about is simply putting on my magnetic tank bag and putting the pistol in there. It would be easily accessible in almost all situations and could be convieniently and discreetly pulled out and put into an IWB/appendix carry.

TNK

Milt Sparks VM2 IWB like always. If I need to enter a place where I cannot carry, I use my Road Warrior locking holster.
    S and S Sales
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I carry in my normal IWB from Tucker Gunleather. At first I kept checking to see if my shirt was riding up but it never seemed to happen so I just don't worry about it anymore. Now I am riding a scooter so perhaps the way I sit on that as opposed to a big motorcycle has something to do with it but I am still going 55-60 MPH.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I always carry my Glock 26 IWB and my Kel Tec P3AT in my right rear pocket while riding.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have carried my Glock-26 comfortably in my M-Tac while riding, but, lately it's been my LCP in front pocket and pocket holster.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Since I got my C-TAC, that's what I use on my bike. I actually prefer my SERPA, but have almost quit carrying openly, including on my bike.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Smartcarry or snubbie in the pocket

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I carry the same when on my bike as when I'm out in the car, IWB at 3:30. Depending on the weather, I use a T shirt cover, or a vest, or a jacket. Riding a motorcycle does not present any unusual problems for IWB. Wind will not expose the gun as long as your cover garment is long enough to fall below the level of your belt line.

I carry fanny pack, in vest, or IWB.

There are motorcycle jackets, vests, etc. all made specificially for conceal carry.. and made to hold and be able to hold a gun. Fanny packs are common with motorcyclists, so no one thinks anything about it.

And normal IWB or OWB .... the holsters I'm using now have a snap thumb break to make sure it doesn't fall out of the holster while riding down the road and I'm leaning back in the seat. This came from just sitting on the bike in my yard and leaned back and the gun slid right out of my hoster onto the ground. Went to thumb breaks to prevent that ever happening again.

There are fanny packs that have holsters built into them. I have 4 of them in different sizes.

If I cannot take the gun in somewhere.... I take off my vest, or fanny pack, etc. and lock it up in the saddle bags, and no one has any idea that there is a gun in them. If I'm IWB, then I can take off a vest or take something and slide it in with it into the bags, and not be noticed.

When traveling I had a bag on the pinion seat that has side pockets that can be locked.... and a gun fits in there perfectly. However, I lock it down to the point that no one can take off with the bag without major major issues.

A lot of times, you can also lock up a small carry gun in the side panel , and lock it with the key. Most LEO's I've asked, say they use that method to lock it up if they need to.

I carry tucked IWB, so riding or driving, there is no difference.

I will probably read the linked threads, but I should state that CC on a motorcycle and needing to use it while still on the bike (stop light, parking, etc.) is going to require some significant rider skill. There are some riding principles and use of CC that are diametrically opposed to each other.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links