Does this make me a wierd?

This is a discussion on Does this make me a wierd? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have yet to get my CCW but in the mean time I have been carryinf around the house to get used to the idea. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this make me a wierd?

Does this make me a wierd?

I have yet to get my CCW but in the mean time I have been carryinf around the house to get used to the idea. I didn't think this was wierd until my girlfriend, mother and others make me out to be some phsyco. I know, I know they should even be able to tell Im carrying, but in my own home concealment is not on the top of my list of importance. Should it be? I tell anyone who questions me on it if it makes them uncomfortable, they are not being held at gunpoint to stay...No pun intended. Does this make me crazy

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Most people pratice before the nacho run by carrying at home, some of the guys on this board carry at home. I would do my best to practice not printing when you are carrying. If your mom or girlfriend can't tell you are carrying, when you get your permit you will be farther ahead.

Don't tell your mom you are carrying, IF you are serious about the girl she is going to have to get used to the idea because you are taking the responsibility for your life.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

nope not crazy just prepared. my farther in law flips out every time he comes to my house. i actually commonly wear open carry in my house not outside but i do when inside and i could probably eliminate his grief by concealing but it is my house.

i was actually cleaning my carry gun the other day when they showed up and i loaded it and stuck it in my holster he asked me and i quote" you actually carry bullets with the gun" and he is very familiar with guns. he said that seemed way to dangerous

I would practice the concealing part since that is what we strive for on the streets,being able to carry without being made.If people that are suppose to know you best start looking at you like your dingy ya need to tone it down a few notches
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    nope not crazy just prepared. my farther in law flips out every time he comes to my house. i actually commonly wear open carry in my house not outside but i do when inside and i could probably eliminate his grief by concealing but it is my house.

i was actually cleaning my carry gun the other day when they showed up and i loaded it and stuck it in my holster he asked me and i quote" you actually carry bullets with the gun" and he is very familiar with guns. he said that seemed way to dangerous
    Tell him if somebody tried to do harm to you or your family it would be dangerous for them,ask him if he thinks Police Officers with bullets in their guns are dangerous
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I do practice the concealing most of the time. but every day I wear a black wife beater under my shirt and around the house I just dont always wear an overshirt, because its comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by ellswj View Post
    ... until my girlfriend, mother and others make me out to be some phsyco.
    They are crazy to believe that your search for competency in your ability to defend them and you against potential attack is a bad thing. It's not you, no. They simply fail to appreciate the simple realities of the world. I would bet they aren't taking the safety and security of their family members seriously, else they wouldn't have such a knee-jerk attitude about it. Of course, they'll need help to see it that way.

BG's don't give a damn whether your parents are pissed, or your significant other is an anti, or you're feeling a bit "off" today. You'll either be prepared or not, and that won't happen by osmosis.

As for whether to carry in your home, consider that a home invasion can start with an explosive entry through your door. Will you have sufficient time in such a situation to go down the hall, into another room, then grab your weapon from the safe? While outside playing with the kids, barbecuing, gardening, or whatever, evaluate whether someone can approach without announcement and whether that'll matter when you're 30ft from the room where your firearm is stored. In short, the only practical way to be prepared for whatever situation is to carry it with you, or at least have it near you (at home).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    Your FIL is right, you should just carry one bullet in your pocket.

ellswj, it sounds like you need to conceal better so no one is aware that you are carrying.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

i agree, you should practice concealment as well as getting accustomed to carrying. dont worry about the sheeples.

Keep practicing. Think of your pistol as your egg--it needs body warmth to grow--without it it will die. Carry at home always (even after you get permit). Once your family quits making comments or suggestions, you'll know you're doing things right or they've relented in their arguments against such practices. The day you procure your actual permit will be the day the egg hatches and the offspring will open it's eyes to the world. Both of you will develop an inseparable bond. Once in a while you may want to test other specimens and therefore check out your local pistol shelter for unwanted or older specimens and subsequently develop similar bonds with others, but that paternal instinct will always be with you. Best of luck to you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Keep practicing. Think of your pistol as your egg--it needs body warmth to grow--without it it will die. Carry at home always (even after you get permit). Once your family quits making comments or suggestions, you'll know you're doing things right or they've relented in their arguments against such practices. The day you procure your actual permit will be the day the egg hatches and the offspring will open it's eyes to the world. Both of you will develop an inseparable bond. Once in a while you may want to test other specimens and therefore check out your local pistol shelter for unwanted or older specimens and subsequently develop similar bonds with others, but that paternal instinct will always be with you. Best of luck to you and yours.
    RamRod...that was deep :)

Practice your concealment around the house. We all did this prior to getting our permits. You'll feel more comfortable and will be ahead of the curve when you venture out your first few times.

And don't worry about the family. Just tell them that you hope you are around when SHTF around them, otherwise they are outta luck.

The mere fact that they know you carry may bring them to think of "what would happen if" situations and begin to understand where you're coming from, and I hope that's the case. But more than likely they are the type that thing nothing bad will ever happen to them and you are silly for gearing up like rambo.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Not at all. Carrying comfortably and inconspicuously is a learned skill and should be practiced.

Good for you.

Welcome from the U.P. Take the class and get your paperwork in. If you do print in Michigan, it's no big deal.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

That is not weird at all, I don't have my CHL yet and I practice. It helps you to know where you can carry, 3:30 for me IWB, and have the best concealment as well as work on your draw, remember to keep your finger off the trigger . I have even gone out and sat in the car for a little bit to make sure that will be comfortable and how I might have to draw from that position.

Just tell them that in any situation that you want to excel at you need to practice before that skill is called upon.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    As you can see, you are not crazy or weird. I didn't carry around the house all the time but I tried out a couple of holsters and belts and made sure I had adequate concealment garments before my permit came in.

The last week or so was filled with positioning mag pouches here, finding the most comfortable spot for my gun there, putting on my cover garment and standing before the mirror to see if I was printing, bending, lifting, turning, jumping to make sure everything was secure.

By the time my permit came in the mail and I made my first trip out with my husband and my concealed gun I didn't even flinch the entire night. I felt very comfortable because I knew I was prepared for that maiden voyage.

Concealment wasn't a huge thing for me in my own home but I didn't have anyone I was trying to conceal from. It looks like you may have to start breaking out those cover garments and seeing just how good you are at hiding that thing.

As stated, if you can hide it from your girlfriend and Mom then you won't have a problem at all when you get out in the rest of the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links