My NJ Experiment - Page 3

My NJ Experiment

This is a discussion on My NJ Experiment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Document everything. Times, dates, places, and if possible names. <SNIP> Document everything. <SNIP> And don't forget, Document everything. Think digital, if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VIP Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Document everything.

Times, dates, places, and if possible names.

<SNIP>

Document everything.

<SNIP>

And don't forget,
    Document everything.
    Think digital, if meeting face-to-face.

What is NJ law on recording conversations? In some States, it only requires one of the people being recorded to know they are being recorded. If you are recording yourself and someone else talking it is legal, because you are the one party that knows the conversation is being recorded.

There is some reasonable priced gear available (see: Spy Pens Recorder Pens MP3 Player Pens Voice Recorder Pens)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

There is a whole (2+ year long?) blog over on GlockTalk written from someone who was seeking their NJ CCW permit. It was a pretty interesting read...though he did finally give up in the end. He made it pretty high up, went through a few appeals, and finally got stonewalled at the final interview...they basically said "we don't issue these, you wont be getting one no matter what you do." (paraphrased) ...another thing to remember is that many state's CCW permit applications ask you to list and explain any revocations or denials of any other permit and to explain why....so this could potentially make the application process in other states longer than average. Just somethings to keep in mind. I wish you the best of luck though!

Good for you press1280. I would like to see someone go after MD as well. Wish you the best and look forward to the future posts.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Agreed. MD is pretty much the same as NJ, although their application is a lot longer and more $$ up front. They do need to be challenged on this unfair system of 1 person(or group of people) deciding on a whim who gets permits and who doesn't.
    Imagine if you went for a driver's license and passed the written and road test(like passing the background checks and training requirements for CCW), and then were told,"well, we just don't think you need to be driving, you live in a place with public transportation a block from your house, it's not necessary, there are already too many cars on the road."
    Would this fly ANYWHERE in this country?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I believe NJ,MD, and others need to be challenged, especially now.
    Sadly Maryland is challenged every year, and the challenge never gets out of the legislative committee.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    OK, I'm going to apply for NJ CHL.
    I need folks input as how to pursue this.
    You're looking for a successful approach to wending your way through the legal landmines that exist. IMO, it's time to speak to an attorney qualified in such areas.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just an update: I've been trying to get info on NJ's current few CCW holders(without names and personal information), and have pretty much been stonewalled. The state government says the info is not public record.
    Evan Nappen did refer me to a website with about a dozen or so appeals records of people who were going for their CCWs. Although not a direct link to my situation, 1 case did show an average citizen(in glass repair) able to get a permit and 5 bounty hunters, all working for the same company, but a judge in 1 county OKed 3 and a judge in another denying the other 2. Arbitrary?

"Because Heller conceded at oral argument
    that the D. C. licensing law is permissible if it is not enforced arbitrarily
    and capriciously, the Court assumes that a license will satisfy
    his prayer for relief and does not address the licensing requirement."-SCOTUS Decision
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Just a thought, but doesnt NJ have to produce to DOJ or some other Federal agency some type of metrics as to how many CCW's etc were and were not issued?

Seems to me if that was the case you could get it from the DOJ without much issue... I would call around and find out...

V/R,

Mike A!
    Land O Lakes, FL

I had posted a letter / question on the Attorney Generals website, never got a reply.

What would you be willing to pay to carry in all 50 states if possible? and not have to worry about jumping thru all these hoops?

I wish you the best on this one.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by mlakrid View Post
    Just a thought, but doesnt NJ have to produce to DOJ or some other Federal agency some type of metrics as to how many CCW's etc were and were not issued?

Seems to me if that was the case you could get it from the DOJ without much issue... I would call around and find out...

V/R,

Mike A!
    Land O Lakes, FL
    I could probably get that info. I'd be curious how many are issued to judges and lawyers. I'd bet a big number go there outside of LEOs and security workers.
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links