National Park Carry OK?

This is a discussion on National Park Carry OK? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, is it legal to carry concealed in national parks starting on 1 July? I'll be heading to Maine and might go to Acadia if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Park Carry OK?

National Park Carry OK?

So, is it legal to carry concealed in national parks starting on 1 July? I'll be heading to Maine and might go to Acadia if I can carry there.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

2. Remove Ads

I don't think so. Why July 1?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I don't know anything about the law or any changes, but I can tell you this.

My Dad was in Estes Park Colorado, which is part of the Rocky Mountain National Park, and he was patted down by a ranger because he was wearing his NRA life Member cap. This happened about three weeks ago. The ranger said something about the NRA cap, asked my dad if he was carrying a concealed weapon and felt around his waist to check. My Dad doesn't CC so everything ended there.

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you know for sure it's allowed. AFAIK, it's forboten, but I admittedly don't know the laws.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    It is, as of now, illegal to carry in any national park. The NRA is currently taking submissions from the public in an effort to get this rectified.

It is also illegal to carry in many, if not all, state parks.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    It is, as of now, illegal to carry in any national park. The NRA is currently taking submissions from the public in an effort to get this rectified.

Not entirely correct. The US government is taking comments, then will rule on the issue. The NRA was instrumental in getting the policy change considered. Regulations.gov

The comment period ends soon - By July 1 at the latest. There may still be a few days to get your comments in..... do it!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    My Dad was in Estes Park Colorado, which is part of the Rocky Mountain National Park, and he was patted down by a ranger because he was wearing his NRA life Member cap. This happened about three weeks ago. The ranger said something about the NRA cap, asked my dad if he was carrying a concealed weapon and felt around his waist to check. My Dad doesn't CC so everything ended there.
    Trying to figure out the probable cause...the cap? Can a ranger pat you down because of an article of clothing?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Trying to figure out the probable cause...the cap? Can a ranger pat you down because of an article of clothing?

Rick
    Me too. I know for sure that Colo DOW (Dept of Wildlife) officers don't need search warrants but I didn't think that extended to (Federal) Park Rangers. It would surprise me if they did. On the surface, that sounds like an illegal search.

That gets into that thread from a few days about wearing your gun gear while out and about or should you dress to "stay under the radar"?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I don't know anything about the law or any changes, but I can tell you this.

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you know for sure it's allowed. AFAIK, it's forboten, but I admittedly don't know the laws.
    That would be an illegal terry stop. Wearing an NRA cap is not RAS to stop and search someone. Your dad should file a complaint.
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

If it were me I would not only file a complaint I would retain a lawyer and sue them. Now I'm not big on sueing but the only way this sort of nonsense will stop is if they get a clear message that it will not be tolerated. The more we tolerate the more they feel that they can get away with.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

This is not the case. It depends on State law. In Nevada it is legal to carry concealed in State parks if you have a permit that is recognized by Nevada.

Ken

Of course not.... carrying in a Federal Park apparently causes you to magically turn into a Poacher. Because they say so thats why...

Quote Originally Posted by VTFatBa*d View Post
    So, is it legal to carry concealed in national parks starting on 1 July? I'll be heading to Maine and might go to Acadia if I can carry there.
    I believe that the United States Department of The Interior is about the close the public comment period on June 30. I am not sure when an announcement will be made regarding the outcome.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    This is not the case. It depends on State law. In Nevada it is legal to carry concealed in State parks if you have a permit that is recognized by Nevada.

Ken
    Same w/Colo
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

July 1st GA will be ok - just not in any publically owned buildings there - so from what I understand, restrooms, among others, would be off limits. National parks still an issue everywhere

If you where is Estes park proper you should not have been subject to a search as you have not entered to park yet,..when we went up trail ridge road last month and went thru the ranger station the paper work that was handed to us said notheing about weapons in park therefor I did not disarm and the ranger when I asked him at pay boothe just said be careful and stay concealed
    there where no signs posted any where we went in park...we got up to about 15 feet away from elk that where laying down to take pictures but if said elk had charged us I would definatly have had to protect my grandkids.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links