quick question

quick question

This is a discussion on quick question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my Georgia Firearms License in the mail. When I applied, I asked for my concealed carry license...but now I'm told that the Firearms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick question

quick question

I got my Georgia Firearms License in the mail.

When I applied, I asked for my concealed carry license...but now I'm told that the Firearms License is something different and I can't carry with it.

Can someone shed some light on this?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Since you do not need a license to purchase a firearm in georgia I believe that would be your concealed carry license but I am not from Georgia.If in doubt call the sheriff or police dept and ask them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

does it not have the details on the card? My dad lives in Ga and his license clearly explains what it is for.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

congrats on the license, it is a open or concealed license. you can carry any where except for "public gatherings" they are laid out at this site Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org there is also a very good georgia specific forums for more technical questions there are also a few ga lawyers on the site along with case law etc. they are in plain English for the layman like you and I. july 1st tomorrow some of the laws change adding more place you will be legally allowed to carry also make sure to join Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news it will be the best investment for a georgia permit holder

Congrat...on the new permit!

I would suggest that you quickly get into a pistol self-defense course...6-20 hours...learn how to use your weapon, weapon safety, and GA laws in detail...very important!
    You don't want to do something foolish and lose it, do you? OMO

Stay armed...know your state's ccw laws...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    congrats on the license, it is a open or concealed license. you can carry any where except for "public gatherings" they are laid out at this site Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org there is also a very good georgia specific forums for more technical questions there are also a few ga lawyers on the site along with case law etc. they are in plain English for the layman like you and I. july 1st tomorrow some of the laws change adding more place you will be legally allowed to carry also make sure to join Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news it will be the best investment for a georgia permit holder
    +1 GeorgiaPacking.org is the best place to start. Review ALL the laws in detail....the written AND the 'plain english' version as well.

Yes, A GFL (Georgia Firearm License) is a permit to carry (open or concealed). Again, know the laws and ALL the "off-limits" places.

I'll also second retsupt99's advice, seek and get a self-defense/firearm course from a reputable instructor/school.

Welcome Aboard!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Since you do not need a license to purchase a firearm in georgia I believe that would be your concealed carry license but I am not from Georgia.If in doubt call the sheriff or police dept and ask them
    Its the local sheriffs department that told me that I couldn't conceal with my license. I thought that it didn't sound right.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

yeah I got my permit in athens-clarke and they have a habit of telling people there's a license for open carry and a license for concealed carry, which there isn't. there's just one to cover everything.

Congrats on the new permit!!!
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Congrats on your new permit.

Be safe out there.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Cool, new permit! Congrats!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    I got my Georgia Firearms License in the mail.

When I applied, I asked for my concealed carry license...but now I'm told that the Firearms License is something different and I can't carry with it.

Can someone shed some light on this?
    A GFL is simply to CARRY the weapon, it does not have to be concealed... it is not needed to purchase a firearm etc but it has to be with you EVERY TIME you have a handgun on your person (or inside your car not in the glove compartment before July 1st).
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Its the local sheriffs department that told me that I couldn't conceal with my license. I thought that it didn't sound right.
    A law enforcement agency that apparently doesn't know the laws they are suppose to enforce,I would call back the person I spoke to and tell them they gave me erroneous information and they need to get updated on the license and applicable laws before they get sued for false arrest in the future
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wow, what a bunch of hogwash! Nothing like having the folks who enforce the laws, not know the law.

... or maybe they were using subterfuge, hmmm.

Anyways Well Done!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably be contacting the Paulding County Sheriff and talking to someone about that.

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links