Defensive Carry banner

WalMart

6K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  SIGguy229 
#1 ·
No, this is not one of those silly "I got my permit so I just got to go to WalMart" didies. I was going inside when I heard someone say "Can I speak to you a moment partner?" I turned to see an officer aproach me. He asked if I had a conceal weapon permit (My USP was inside my pants with the but out in sight) i showed him and he said the reason was WalMart had a no gun policy. I told him that was news to me as I never saw a sign on the door. Here in VA I never had a problem with them. I think because it was the way I was carrying it is why he asked and used WalMart as an excuse

#2 ·
My best guess is he didn't want you to cause any kinds of problems with the other customers. If another customer would have seen you pistol sticking out they probably would have freaked out.

#3 ·

#4 ·
Danger,
I believe that IWB and open carry (the combination thereof) have been an interesting topic, open to debate and interpretation among these forums for quite some time now. I personally believe that since in most jurisdictions the weapon must be "fully visible", IWB is a no-go with open carry. This is only my *personal* opinion, and once again laws in your jurisdiction could be worded differently. If you didn't end up behind bars, then I would say he knew what you were doing was legal.

#7 ·
Virginia law only states "open to common observation". Most take that to mean if any part is visible that it can be identified as a handgun, it is open carry.
Virginia State Police
VSP said:
A weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
My thoughts are the officer should not have asked you for a permit if you were openly carrying. They also echo Natureboy's sentiments. He probably was nipping a problem in the bud, but you shouldn't be deterred from OC if that's your thing.

#5 ·
Where were you in Virginia? I was told by a FFXC officer that if you have a permit, it needs to either be completley conceald or completely in view when carrying. I'm pretty sure thats not written down anywhere but the whole gun in my pants with the butt sticking out seems kind of gang bangerish to me. No offense intended, just speculating.

#11 ·
It was probably more my fault as I was carrying my full size HK and not the Glock 30. My tee shirts have a tendancy to ride upwards and gets caught on the grip. The Glock being so stream line does not do that to me. So it probably was the way it was seen. The law here in VA says its ok to open or conceal (With permit) but does not specify fully open or fully concealed. My thinking was that when he saw it according to VA law "The true nature of the weapon was hidden", thats probably why he asked.

#13 ·
There was a case in the Richmond-Henrico area that clarified the open carry deal. A police officer arrested a guy for carrying a concealed weapon even though a third of the holster was clearly visible. In court the officer was asked how he knew the guy was carrying a gun. The officer stated that he saw it. The judge told the officer since he saw it, it was not concealed. In essence if any part of the gun is visible to common observation and can be recognized it is not concealed. Most here already know that Wal-Mart's no gun policy only applies to employees and as far as customers go they tend to go with the prevailing state law.

#17 ·
Could be that the officer was confused thinking that the 'no guns policy' was not just for employees. It is also possible that he was reacting to the fact that it was visible. Walmart requires that permit carriers carry concealed at all times in the store. If the weapon becomes visible they will either ask you to cover it up, or possibly ask you to leave. Its possible the officer saw the grip of the USP and thought there might be an issue since it was not fully concealed.

Here is a letter regarding Walmart's policy on CCW:

DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM

Subject: RE: Firearms

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Who really knows for sure what the officer was thinking...

Any more info Danger Mouse?

Matt

#19 ·
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

#20 ·
OK folks, put on your 'ear hats' and let's sing together...then maybe he'll answer!:image035:

D, A, N..................G, E, R.....

M, O, U, S, E...

Danger Mouse...Danger Mouse,

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Come on Danger, what happened?:confused::confused::confused:

Stay armed...sing a lot...stay safe!

#21 ·
OK folks, let's sing together...then maybe he'll answer!:image035:

D, A, N..................G, E, R.....

M, O, U, S, E...

Danger Mouse...Danger Mouse,

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Come on Danger, what happened?:confused::confused::confused:

Danger Mouse repeat 3x

Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company
D-A-N hope to see you soon G-E-R
M-O-U-S-E!!!!!!!!!

#25 ·
Yeah...well the officer was wrong about Wal-Mart's policy...they abide by the state's laws regarding firearms. I've carried (OC or CC) in Wal-mart with nary a problem.

#32 ·
That's it? No excitement?
That's like a Frankenstien movie ending with a tea party!:hand1:

Ya' certainly got the 'questions marks' going though...:yup:

Glad you had no problems!:hand10:

Stay armed...even in WW...stay safe!

#34 ·
I think it's something like if 50% of there business is alcohol then you are not allowed to carry in there, but don't quote me on that one.:confused:

#40 ·
NC g.s 14-269.3 any establishment where Alcoholic beverages are Sold And Consumed.. I take it as sold and consumed on site which walmart does not IE a Bar and grill..

#46 ·
I'm not aware of Wal*Mart having such a policy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.