WalMart

This is a discussion on WalMart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, this is not one of those silly "I got my permit so I just got to go to WalMart" didies. I was going inside ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WalMart

WalMart

No, this is not one of those silly "I got my permit so I just got to go to WalMart" didies. I was going inside when I heard someone say "Can I speak to you a moment partner?" I turned to see an officer aproach me. He asked if I had a conceal weapon permit (My USP was inside my pants with the but out in sight) i showed him and he said the reason was WalMart had a no gun policy. I told him that was news to me as I never saw a sign on the door. Here in VA I never had a problem with them. I think because it was the way I was carrying it is why he asked and used WalMart as an excuse
    Think twice
    Buy once!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    My best guess is he didn't want you to cause any kinds of problems with the other customers. If another customer would have seen you pistol sticking out they probably would have freaked out.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Danger,
    I believe that IWB and open carry (the combination thereof) have been an interesting topic, open to debate and interpretation among these forums for quite some time now. I personally believe that since in most jurisdictions the weapon must be "fully visible", IWB is a no-go with open carry. This is only my *personal* opinion, and once again laws in your jurisdiction could be worded differently. If you didn't end up behind bars, then I would say he knew what you were doing was legal.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Where were you in Virginia? I was told by a FFXC officer that if you have a permit, it needs to either be completley conceald or completely in view when carrying. I'm pretty sure thats not written down anywhere but the whole gun in my pants with the butt sticking out seems kind of gang bangerish to me. No offense intended, just speculating.
    The second amendment isn't about hunting deer, it's about hunting politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisforlovers View Post
    Where were you in Virginia? I was told by a FFXC officer that if you have a permit, it needs to either be completley conceald or completely in view when carrying. I'm pretty sure thats not written down anywhere but the whole gun in my pants with the butt sticking out seems kind of gang bangerish to me. No offense intended, just speculating.
    From reading his story I don't think he was aware that the butt of his gun was sticking out.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Danger,
    I believe that IWB and open carry (the combination thereof) have been an interesting topic, open to debate and interpretation among these forums for quite some time now. I personally believe that since in most jurisdictions the weapon must be "fully visible", IWB is a no-go with open carry. This is only my *personal* opinion, and once again laws in your jurisdiction could be worded differently. If you didn't end up behind bars, then I would say he knew what you were doing was legal.
    Virginia law only states "open to common observation". Most take that to mean if any part is visible that it can be identified as a handgun, it is open carry.
    Virginia State Police
    Quote Originally Posted by VSP
    A weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
    My thoughts are the officer should not have asked you for a permit if you were openly carrying. They also echo Natureboy's sentiments. He probably was nipping a problem in the bud, but you shouldn't be deterred from OC if that's your thing.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Virginia law only states "open to common observation". Most take that to mean if any part is visible that it can be identified as a handgun, it is open carry.
    Virginia State Police

My thoughts are the officer should not have asked you for a permit if you were openly carrying. They also echo Natureboy's sentiments. He probably was nipping a problem in the bud, but you shouldn't be deterred from OC if that's your thing.
    Good post. I agree. If it is your thing, and it is legal then who is he to discourage you. The constitution DOES prohibit the government from discouraging you from exercising you civil rights.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    From reading his story I don't think he was aware that the butt of his gun was sticking out.

It doesnt matter because it's not illegal either way. Wasn't questioning the guys character, just saying what I presume the officer assumed.
    The second amendment isn't about hunting deer, it's about hunting politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisforlovers View Post
    It doesnt matter because it's not illegal either way. Wasn't questioning the guys character, just saying what I presume the officer assumed.
    You should have said that in the first place then.

It was probably more my fault as I was carrying my full size HK and not the Glock 30. My tee shirts have a tendancy to ride upwards and gets caught on the grip. The Glock being so stream line does not do that to me. So it probably was the way it was seen. The law here in VA says its ok to open or conceal (With permit) but does not specify fully open or fully concealed. My thinking was that when he saw it according to VA law "The true nature of the weapon was hidden", thats probably why he asked.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    It was probably more my fault as I was carrying my full size HK and not the Glock 30. My tee shirts have a tendancy to ride upwards and gets caught on the grip. The Glock being so stream line does not do that to me. So it probably was the way it was seen. The law here in VA says its ok to open or conceal (With permit) but does not specify fully open or fully concealed. My thinking was that when he saw it according to VA law "The true nature of the weapon was hidden", thats probably why he asked.
    What's most important is that you did not have a bad encounter with that LEO.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    There was a case in the Richmond-Henrico area that clarified the open carry deal. A police officer arrested a guy for carrying a concealed weapon even though a third of the holster was clearly visible. In court the officer was asked how he knew the guy was carrying a gun. The officer stated that he saw it. The judge told the officer since he saw it, it was not concealed. In essence if any part of the gun is visible to common observation and can be recognized it is not concealed. Most here already know that Wal-Mart's no gun policy only applies to employees and as far as customers go they tend to go with the prevailing state law.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    There was a case in the Richmond-Henrico area that clarified the open carry deal. A police officer arrested a guy for carrying a concealed weapon even though a third of the holster was clearly visible. In court the officer was asked how he knew the guy was carrying a gun. The officer stated that he saw it. The judge told the officer since he saw it, it was not concealed. In essence if any part of the gun is visible to common observation and can be recognized it is not concealed. Most here already know that Wal-Mart's no gun policy only applies to employees and as far as customers go they tend to go with the prevailing state law.
    That's what I was thinking of, but didn't have the docket number for it as a reference and didn't want to post something erroneous.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

So Danger Mouse, what did you do?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links