Can you CCW at Gunshow?

Can you CCW at Gunshow?

This is a discussion on Can you CCW at Gunshow? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This maybe a stupid question, but can you carry concealed at a gun show or it have to be open carry. There will be a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you CCW at Gunshow?

Question Can you CCW at Gunshow?

This maybe a stupid question, but can you carry concealed at a gun show or it have to be open carry. There will be a gunshow here in Orlando this weekend(saturday 05th June). I know you can carry guns to sell or trade but how about concealed?
    It's Barbados Ah come from
    Celebration Lodge #36
    Celebration, Fl.

in va you can carry but must unload gun when you enter. they always have a sign out front saying no loaded guns allowed inside.....
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

In my limited experience w/ FL gun shows, they have you unload the gun at the entrance and put a zip tie through the chamber.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    In my limited experience w/ FL gun shows, they have you unload the gun at the entrance and put a zip tie through the chamber.

-JT
    This is what they do at the gunshows in Pensacola too.

Brian

Same thing here in TN.
    Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

MI is the same way. It always amazes me that people will get up in arms when Walmart or some other business doesn't allow CCW but it's all OK at a gun show. I do not attend shows because of this.

Here is what will happen at the show you will be attending........

There will be a LEO (acting as private security) at the entrance asking if you have any loaded weapons. If you answer "yes", you will be directed to another security LEO inside who will instruct you to unload your gun. He'll then zip tie it and give it back to you.

As an aside, and FWIW...... In FL, it's not illegal to carry in any place (including a gun show) that has been posted "no carry". But if discovered and asked to leave, you would be required to do so immediately or potentially face a charge of armed trespass.

Having said that, there's a ton of LEO security at the things and really no reason to mess around with it. Let 'em zip it......especially if you might want to check the fit of a holster, or the function of a mag or some such. I would not recommend leaving a gun in your car.....even in a COM. Just too many people walking around that could be looking for just that kind of opportunity at a gun show.

Have fun.
    Last edited by David in FL; July 1st, 2008 at 11:50 AM.

As far as I know, unless your state/local has a law against carrying at a gun show, it is legal. The gun show however, can restrict you from carrying a loaded weapon.

Virginia has no laws against gun show carry, open or concealed, but it is usually in a private venue, and the shows I've been to always make you show the firearm is unloaded and will zip-tie it if possible. Usually, the shows do it for insurance reasons. If I recall correctly, there was a negligent discharge at a Georgia show some years ago and a minor was killed.
    RedKnightt

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

Quote Originally Posted by detroit9mm View Post
    MI is the same way. It always amazes me that people will get up in arms when Walmart or some other business doesn't allow CCW but it's all OK at a gun show. I do not attend shows because of this.
    I carry at gun shows. The promoters know I do. They never say not to do so.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I let them zip-tie my guns, but I have about four knives on me and there are cops all over while inside. I feel somewhat safe there. It is the going back to my car that I worry about, so I have them snip the zip-tie on my way out and the extra loaded mag I "forgot" about somehow makes its way into the gun (either one). Getting robbed/shot in a gunshow parking lot is not on my list of things to do.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

The last gunshow I went to in Richmond there were 2 Richmond police officers at the entrance after you paid you admission. They zip tied my empty weapon there.
    Your best bet is to unload outside the door, that way there won't be a problem. YMMV
    ron

In WA there is no law against it. Many of our local gun shows have rules against carrying, whether openly or concealed. Seems like an odd place to restrict carry of a gun.....
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Amen detroit...

Quote Originally Posted by detroit9mm View Post

It seems very hypocritical to me when we are trained and have had background checks. Saying we can't carry a gun because of an AD falls right into the hands of the anti's. If I were them I would be pointing this out.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Even if posted here in UT, it's legal to carry at a gunshow. I don't go to many anymore as prices aren't great, and over half the tables are selling beef jerky, vitamins, or "authentic" Indian jewelry.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    It seems very hypocritical to me when we are trained and have had background checks. Saying we can't carry a gun because of an AD falls right into the hands of the anti's. If I were them I would be pointing this out.
    My guess is that all of these policies likely have nothing to do with law, but are as a result of insurance carriers who provide insurance to promoters. I don't necessarily agree with the policies, but if I were an insurance company, I'd require the same thing. An AD could cost a bunch of money and would drive up the cost of insurance for all gunshow promoters or even make it impossible to get. So, they take as much action as possible to lessen the risk of that happening. It's likely more of a business decision than a political statement IMO.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links