Airport "Puffers" - Page 2

Airport "Puffers"

This is a discussion on Airport "Puffers" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wagglebee Fertilizer was used to make the 1995 bomb in Oklahoma City. A bad guy can do a whole lot more destruction ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airport "Puffers"

Quote Originally Posted by wagglebee View Post
    Fertilizer was used to make the 1995 bomb in Oklahoma City.

A bad guy can do a whole lot more destruction with fertilizer than he can with a gun.
    They ordered a bunch of 85 or 90% ammonium nitrate fertilizer and mixed it with another ingredient and that may be the reason for the nitrate sniffers since a small amount can make a big blast,but I don't think they would work that great if somebody else built the device and you just transported it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Has anyone on here got a "false positive" from one of these machines because of their carrying habits?
    All the time. I walk through them to get to work.

Dont fart, wear stinky perfumes or cologne and wash your hands if you have been doing much and you'll be OK..most of the time.

I got hit for using Tapmagic to tap some holes out. I walked out to the parking lot and walked back in and ended up getting patted down.

Another time I got hit for using Layout dye and had some on my hands. It noticed it. I got patted down again.

Another time I went out to the range to help the armourer take apart some Ar-15's that had the barrel nuts gunked up. I came back in and got hit again.

The sniffers pick up any explosive or flammable vapors or residues.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think that the sniffers are a good idea. I do, however, believe that they are susceptible to failure like any other piece of machinery. That's why we should just put up with a bomb dog humping everyone's leg at the airport...(it's in the name of "security"!)
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    All the time. I walk through them to get to work.

Dont fart, wear stinky perfumes or cologne and wash your hands if you have been doing much and you'll be OK..most of the time.

I got hit for using Tapmagic to tap some holes out. I walked out to the parking lot and walked back in and ended up getting patted down.

Another time I got hit for using Layout dye and had some on my hands. It noticed it. I got patted down again.

Another time I went out to the range to help the armourer take apart some Ar-15's that had the barrel nuts gunked up. I came back in and got hit again.

The sniffers pick up any explosive or flammable vapors or residues.
    Weird. Does ANO use the new GE ones? The only time I've had them alarm was when I was carrying something and broke the infrared beam - never for a hit on the detector.

Senior Moderator
    We've got one that seems to spend as much time down as it is up. We have 3 other access ports that are supposed to be switched over soon. Until they get the first one up and running and reliable, I dont think they are in any rush to change over. Those things are expensive.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    We've got one that seems to spend as much time down as it is up. We have 3 other access ports that are supposed to be switched over soon. Until they get the first one up and running and reliable, I dont think they are in any rush to change over. Those things are expensive.
    Yeah.. but the worst part about them are those recorded messages that play when you are waiting for clear. Some sites aren't bad, short and sweet, ALARA, safety, etc... but I was at Ginna this spring and the bloody message was TWENTY FIVE seconds long. It was some little kid rambling about keeping her grandma safe at work... on, and on...

Do the ones in the airports say anything other than commands? I can only imagine the crap they'd program into them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links