Utah gov tweaks non-res CCW permit - Page 2

Utah gov tweaks non-res CCW permit

This is a discussion on Utah gov tweaks non-res CCW permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What he is proposing is the same system that we already have in TX. ranburr...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utah gov tweaks non-res CCW permit

What he is proposing is the same system that we already have in TX.

ranburr

AZ required that. I had a great time down on the Colorado River for a few days. AZ was so efficient I barely got back before my license.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    As non-resident I would be willing to pay more to cover the costs, in fact they could hire a clerk to do strictly non-residents. Also up here all gun owners have to have a licence with a full background check, no record and including a written OK from your spouse. People like myself would have to provide proof of a valid licence up here, plus we would likely not be allowed to travel to the US if we had a record, which the border guys do check.

If they decide to let Non-Residents apply again I'll be on my way the next day. My Dad lives in San Diego but has land in Montana and I visit him there regularly. I'd like to have a CCW that's good for Washington, Idaho, and Montana, since those are the States that I will be driving through the most. I've done the paperwork for getting my CCW for Maine but they don't have reciprocity with Washington and Montana. I've been trying to figure out a way to get reciprocity with Washington and Montana but so far, the only way is with a Utah CCW.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    If I already have a permit though, they would let me renew it without going to UT though right? Kind of like a grandfather clause.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

If it's really a financial burden on the state, they should just charge more.
    I haven't heard anything about FL having the same issues with their permit. Maybe issue permits for longer periods(like FL just did) so paperwork is lessened?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I guess one would have to keep their pistola locked in the trunk unloaded until they got a permit issued and picked up. Sorry, that just plain smacks of 2A abuse.

Maybe a federal CCW license would resolve the issue once and for all? I know it is not a privilege but a right.... try and tell that to the state legislators who believe that you must be a resident. Whether or not you are a US citizen is irrelevant.

I say, it matters not where you live. If you are a US Citizen you have the right to bear arms a la 2A. I also believe that a license is a necessary evil for concealed carry to weed out the misfits.

It is my understanding that Utah issues more non-resident permits than resident permits per year. I don't think Utah should do away with the program. It cost me $140 for my TX application fee. I thought Utah was a steal at $65. I think if Utah realized people would be willing to pay more for the permit then they wouldn't be considering changing it. Also, I think the govenor proposal would actually be counter productive, as i guarantee that it would shrink non-resident applications by 80-90%, because people wouldn't be willing to make the trip out there to get it. So in effect, Utah would be getting less money out of the deal with that proposal than they would be currently getting.

Exactly why I believe a FEDERAL gun permit program is needed. Many disagree, but the laws are so convoluted as to be worse than a dog's breakfast.

Why on Earth we can't get it together is beyond me. "WE the People" have the right .... 2A.... and it just bugs the heck out of me.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    We need as few federal programs as possible.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    The time and cost of instruction are all over the place already.

I could see instate instructors turning this into a real cash cow.

The UT CFP is one of, if not the best permits in the country. I for one have no issue with this. If your state doesn't have a permit that you are satisfied with... vote different people into pubic office. Or please move here to Utah... it's 'a pretty great state' :)
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    There was a claim I read elewhere that the Canadian government asked that they do not issue CCw permits for Canadians, but I suspect that is hogwash. They did try to claim that they couldn't do a crimmanl record check, but it was pointed out to them that to have a valid firearms license in Canada you must not have a crimmanl record, otherwise it would be revoked. They could change the wording for Canadians that the CCW permit is only valid if the Canadian Firearms permit was valid and that applying for a CCW permit would be giving permission for the Utah goverment to request the information from the RCMP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links