Utah gov tweaks non-res CCW permit

This is a discussion on Utah gov tweaks non-res CCW permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So who needs a place to stay when they have to come to Utah to get their permit? Writing my Rep so that this will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah gov tweaks non-res CCW permit

So who needs a place to stay when they have to come to Utah to get their permit?

Writing my Rep so that this will never pass.

ksl.com - Governor considers change to gun permit law

Governor considers change to gun permit law
    July 1st, 2008 @ 8:13am
    By Andrew Adams

A lot of Utah's concealed carry permits go out of state, and Gov. Jon Huntsman doesn't see the benefit unless the law is changed to help tourism. He's considering the idea.

"Let's use it as a travel and tourism opportunity; have them come here to our state to go through the prerequisites here while staying in our hotels and dining in our restaurants," the governor said.

It's in response to the Department of Public Safety's problem. It is having a hard time tracking instructors and permit holders outside Utah.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Sounds like he might be overstepping his authority if he tries that. Plenty of other States offer non-res. permits and they don't require anything like that. As to the benefits of offering non-res. permits - what does he think all those the permit fees Utah is collecting are?
    Jack

VIP Member

Cash Cow?

The time and cost of instruction are all over the place already.

I could see instate instructors turning this into a real cash cow.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    On the surface, his idea could have meritt considering what's best for his residents. But in the end, I'm convinced it would fail. The amount of people who would travel there as part of a vacation and get their permit would be minimal compared the funds they could raise if they would just increase the permit fee inline with what most other states charge.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Actually a lot of Canadian shooters would go for it, including myself. I was planning on getting my Utah CCW through a course run up here, presently they stopped issung CCW permits to Canadians but honouring current permits.

As a Canadian I can certain understand the local government trying to promote the economic interest of it's State.

It's all about the dollar.....
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

A few weeks ago there was a story run about how Utah has no control over people with non- resident permits since they don't get the daily checks like the residents do. Also there were complaints of the flood of people getting non-resident permits and that making things slow for residents. This is his response which is pretty craptastic.

I'm worried that if these things do pass could they affect the reciprocity with other states?

ummm.....if you have a permit in UT, you're supposed to be checked daily? By who??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I thought UT was trying to cut back on the nonres permits issued by forcing the classes to be taught in state ?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    This is so stupid it is such a NON issue!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ummm.....if you have a permit in UT, you're supposed to be checked daily? By who??
    I'm guessing here, but even back before retirement there was a lot of cross reference of file done automatically -- often daily on files where an agency was the custodial party of both sets of databases. A computer program would cross check all the new entries in one database against the records in another -- a very early data-mining technique.

As they likely have a court disposition file and most likely a mental commitments file of in-state actions, they could run new inputs against the CCW file for hits. OTOH, they would not have ready access to the same data for court actions taken out-of-State --neither for residents traveling out-of-state nor non-residence.

Again just a guess.

Yep! Big Brother is watching.
    Last edited by DaveH; July 1st, 2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Wow I was just in Moab, UT. I should have stayed an extra day and got my permit.

VIP Member
    Sorry, your Govenor is a dill weed!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I'm guessing here, but even back before retirement there was a lot of cross reference of file done automatically -- often daily on files where an agency was the custodial party of both sets of databases. A computer program would cross check all the new entries in one database against the records in another -- a very early data-mining technique.

As they likely have a court disposition file and most likely a mental commitments file of in-state actions, they could run new inputs against the CCW file for hits. OTOH, they would not have ready access to the same data for court actions taken out-of-State --neither for residents traveling out-of-state nor non-residence.

Again just a guess.

Yep! Big Brother is watching.
    Yup that is it exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    I thought UT was trying to cut back on the nonres permits issued by forcing the classes to be taught in state ?
    That is what the Governor is trying to pass. You must have missed the first article i posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links