I will soon be disarmed on a cruise ship! - Page 2

I will soon be disarmed on a cruise ship!

This is a discussion on I will soon be disarmed on a cruise ship! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would buy a City Stick & "LIMP" going aboard ship. Click Here For The Cold Steel City Stick "If you have been looking for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator

The Cold Steel City Stick

I would buy a City Stick & "LIMP" going aboard ship.
    Click Here For The Cold Steel City Stick

"If you have been looking for a classy walking stick that's just at home at the opera as it is on a stroll through the urban jungle, look no further. Our new City Stick fits in at just about any social situation and is just as functional as it is good looking. Its glossy black shaft is made out of eleven layers of fiberglass and, in our horrific impact tests, proved to be unbreakable. For eye appeal, it's topped with a mirror polished "head" made of 300 series stainless steel that's highly resistant to rusting and just about begs for your custom engraving. To keep you from slipping on the mean streets and cracked sidewalks, each City Stick is capped with a thick rubber ferrule that looks good and gives excellent traction."

The stylus seems pretty good and if not a good pen would work. I would be vigilant and aware of my surroundings at all times. I also would not drink any alcohol. Be aware very aware. In these days and times anything is possible. I don't see myself taking any major trips anytime soon.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    Try to purchase an inexpensive knife (that can be lost or confiscated without causing major heartburn ) before the trip or at the first port of call.
    Above all, please enjoy a nice vacation on a cruise through the Caribbean
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Switch Blade!!!

Have a good trip

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

OD*
    You fellas really should look into the offerings by Choate.
    There are non-detectable and hold-up extremely well, first hand experience, I've had mine since 1989-90.

(this is not a paid endorsement )
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    guess its a little later to learn a martial arts form now. Best to learn to fight without weapons as well as with a gun. Lots of encounters you are likely to have to fight with less than deadly force.

Wink Alert Levels and some techniques...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaltered
    I am looking for suggestions from people who have been in this position before:

My wife's family is taking us all on a Caribbean cruise the first week of December. Of course cruise ships are "disarmed-victim zones" to the extreme of no pocket knifes or even pepper spray.

The details are very frustrating as the tickets were bought before I had a chance to say "No."

So because I love my wife, I am going on the cruise (though I would rather not go), and I will be forced to leave every defensive item behind.

I would like suggestions for "creative" defensive solutions that are perhaps possible in a cruise-ship setting. Thanks.
    Be VERY Careful! I live in Miami FL and know a few folks in the cruise industry. The crime rate onboard those ships is staggering. 99% never get reported, especially shipboard rapes (usually perpetrated by the crew) I HATE to rain on your parade, but it's really easy to get victimized in this situation, which is why I never do them, even though I live in the cruise capital of the planet. Maybe the advice below is old hat for you, if so.....I'm sorry; I'm not trying to be patronizing. But take a hard look at my "newspaper" self defense technique and the Impact Kerambit which you can get from:

http://store.botachtactical.com/kelwordtlimk1.html Since you're short on time, get the video that is an option.

Total cost about $30-40 and it could save your life!

I wrote this for another forum (so it's not written specifically for YOUR situation) and it has become a permanent fixture on one continuing thread:

WARNING:

I do not advocate folks get firearms training from any other than a certified instructor (like me) or from a book, neither would I feel real great about having somebody try something I described on the thread and getting killed for their effort. I know exactly what to do if I'm grabbed from behind, but the response is inculcated to the point of instinctual reaction and difficult to "explain." Therefore we need to keep it so simple, it can be done in "one move." But before we get to "moves" we have to start with :

"ATTITUDE!"

Be aware -

See life as a series of threat levels - think of them like a stoplight: Green, Yellow, Red.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A. Green means "GO" and 99% of the population is stuck in this mode. They go through life with their eyes down, thinking of everything but their own safety. They wonder what's on tv; who phoned while they were out; what's for dinner; does he or she really love me; etc. Everything but what matters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

B. Yellow means "caution." You must be aware of your surroundings in a 360 degree perimeter for about a forty foot radius. You should be "aware" of every moving object and living thing in that area. How do you keep track of what's behind you?

If you're walking down a sidewalk and a car passes near you on the road, you can tell by the sound of it's tires how fast it's moving and the wind pressure against your body.

You can hear when it slows down by the engine noise and brakes.

If you approach your car in a parking lot, be sure to not only check the back seat, but also under the car before you even get close.

Moving perimeter____

You are aware of things and allow your little onboard "voice" that everyone has and never listens to....to let you know something is strange.

What about the guy who looks drunk and is stumbling towards you? Is he only faking being drunk, are his feet moving in a coordinated fashion but his body seems to sway and stumble?

Can you see his hands? Look around. Do you see anybody reacting to your specific presence, for example some guy crosses the street to your side for no apparent reason? Let's say you glance across the street and become aware that another man seems to be moving in concert with the first.

Now what?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Insert a color here to the Traffic light model----ORANGE ALERT--

is a heightened alert specific to a given situation. It means you are aware of a specific threat to your person. You must assess and then decide how to act and whether to raise an alrm as it were, or disengage and get the heck out of there or finally (and only if you're qualified to do so) to engage. The key is assessment!

ASSESS, ASSESS, ASSESS!

Look for a weapon or the possibility of a weapon.

Look for backup buddies out to the wings or in a vehicle.

Assess!

Then...DECIDE. From the second of actual decision, you must instantly do one of two things:

ENGAGE or DISENGAGE.

I always recommend to disengage! Unless you're somebody trained and experienced in this kind of action.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

CONDITION RED. This is quite simply, COMBAT. Slapping leather going for the draw, whatever.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Condition green invites victimization.

Condition Orange can't be maintained for very long, you'll tire quickly.

But Condition YELLOW can be maintained forever without effort. You can live, eat and sleep in Yellow. It's very easy to take somebody in condition green. It's might well be impossible to take anybody in "yellow."

__________________________________________________ ________

FOOTNOTES:

When grabbed from behind: "Pinch" the skin on the inner part of the thigh (pant material is thinner here) and just twist the crap outta it!

You can try this on yourself and be aware of the sensation without maiming yourself in the process. The idea here is to make the person LET GO in a shock reaction. After that, you may have to follow up with some other strike or just haul A$$.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One more important technique!

It only works at night or in some really dark area like a parking garage or the dark areas of a cruise ship, but for folks especially living behind enemy lines in a gun oppressed area get a SureFire Flashlight of at least two lithium cells in strength. Their 6P model is a fine choice but if you can afford the E2D by all means.

The beam of one of these lights is easily enough to temporarily blind/stun an attacker when he doesn't know it's coming. They are tail switch activated and some can be had with a bezel ring adjuster that is jagged and useful as a striking weapon, this is the E2D. I'm never without mine, even when I'm armed. Maybe especially when I'm armed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Take a section of newspaper and roll it up like you were going to swat a fly. Then bend it double and hold it in your fist. It should allow your fingers to close all the way around it. Where the crease appears there will be a number of small points or knobs. That is the striking
    surface. You'll find that the paper is now a sturdy club capable of literally splitting skulls.

* A variation or should I say an evolution of the Kubaton is called the Kerambit. It's an innocous looking little piece of plastic that looks like it's shaped into a broad "L" shape with a hole in one end. Use it correctly and you can take anyone any size at anytime.

* Carry a flashlight : Surefire.Com - Model : 6p or E2D
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I actually carried my SW knife on ship, one blade is serrated the other a regular blade, they open on opposite ends, and the handle gripped so as a blade protudes from either side of he hand. My only mistake was to take it on shore, they did not want it back on ship. You could try one of those poly knifes in the boot trick, they will make you pass through a metal detector to get back on board, they also give you a ship ID card that uses a photo displayed every time you use it, both while going ashore or returning.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

The most common Tourist purchase here is a ULU Knife and a cutting board.
    8-20 bucks get one off line leave it in your bags "from the last trip"
    Indulge your cooking hobby have that set of Dexter french knives, acutting board etc. The cane am mini mag flashlight, heavy pen the nlon Knives in the sock. a couple a rools of quarters in a sock soda cans in a couple pillow cases. a 1911 'How'd that get in there?"
    Don't develope a limp, develope the flu and get a refund, come up to Alaska next summer where you are encouraged to bring firearms.
    Rob

OD*
    Hey Rob! When did you get here?

Good to see you amigo.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

You're not being disarmed, you are simply going on with your life with one less tool.

Dan

OD, followed the trail of bread crumbs you left. Looks like a nice place with good folks. I seem to remember you mentioning this place to me at one time?
    For going places were we are "not allowed" to go armed, I carried a pair of the old CIA Letter openers. A good ole Mt Blanc pen will ruin most folks day though :-) The little Mini Mag light is Kubaton size- so many alternatives. I think one of those little torch lighters and some aerosol hairspray would be handy. I think I would take note of all the fire extinguishers on board.(great smoke screen with the co2 type great blunt instrument otherwise.
    As mentioned a rolled up paper or magazine can be used. Just remember with any of these, if you can touch them, they can touch you.
    Unarmed fighting skills and the WILL are most important, IMO.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

ďVictory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.Ē
    Winston Churchill

Two words: Coldsteel, Nightshade.

Very strong, very concealable, and so cheap you can throw it away without caring. Get the pushblades.

What kind of security screening typically happens when boarding a cruise ship? I don't want an xray machine to see the outline of a plastic knife, you know?
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Quote Originally Posted by Jaltered
    What kind of security screening typically happens when boarding a cruise ship? I don't want an xray machine to see the outline of a plastic knife, you know?
    Order a 6-pack of the Nightshade Push Blade II from Botach. ($36)
    Take off the metal ring, and if you like, make a sheat out of nylon or something. They are not sharp, its just the point you can hurt yourself on. Stuff them in your sock, IWB, in a shirt pocket or whereever.

As for security boarding the ship, I highly doubt they are going to feel up your whife or mother in law. :scruntiny
    And if they do, then just get off, and sue for sexual harassment.

Oh, and if you don't have any, get some Surefires for you and your whife and practice blinding each others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links