I will soon be disarmed on a cruise ship!

This is a discussion on I will soon be disarmed on a cruise ship! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for suggestions from people who have been in this position before: My wife's family is taking us all on a Caribbean cruise ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am looking for suggestions from people who have been in this position before:

My wife's family is taking us all on a Caribbean cruise the first week of December. Of course cruise ships are "disarmed-victim zones" to the extreme of no pocket knifes or even pepper spray.

The details are very frustrating as the tickets were bought before I had a chance to say "No."

So because I love my wife, I am going on the cruise (though I would rather not go), and I will be forced to leave every defensive item behind.

I would like suggestions for "creative" defensive solutions that are perhaps possible in a cruise-ship setting. Thanks.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people.

You might consider some innocuous yet pointy object. I have seen a "defensive stylus" somewhere. Looked like a colored pencil, but was solid. Any ball-point pen could be lethal.

http://www.shivworks.com/stylus.asp

And there's Trevanian's hero in "The Eiger Sanction" who could kill with a tightly rolled-up magazine!

OD*
    Look into the Personal Defense Accessories offered by Choate.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...ProductCode=31
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Sharpened #2 pencils, use in the eyes, neck, arms or legs. Single edged razor blades ( take a razor with them so no suspicion is aroused). Anything long and slender with a sharp point, ie; metal fingernail file. How about one of those long back scratchers with sharp claws, those things could put out an eye!! I'm sure you'll think of others. Good Luck!!

Assistant Administrator
    Jaltered - apart from seeing your birthdate I know not which year and so your age.

The best possible would IMO be a suitable walking cane - but maybe you are too young to pull that off. Maybe get a cane and before the trip, conveniently ''sprain your ankle'' - and so need help hobbling around!

Beyond that may I suggest too the proverbial sock full of loose change!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

once onboard look for things that can be used as weapons, say for instance a butterknife or steak knife, fork or even a handle of a spoon.

Belt Buckle

My grandpa told me a couple years ago after 9/11 why he always wears a heavier belt and a western style heavier belt buckle. This everyday piece of attire can be turned into a pretty brutal weapon in no time. His point was that he always carried a weapon when flying and I asked how that was (thinking he meant a knife or gun) and then he told me what kind of damage he saw a belt and belt buckle do while in Korea and that he was always armed with one. I can attest to how quickly a belt can come out of the pants and become a weapon however it was always because I was on the receiving end of a "whooping" from pa.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

you can always take a flashlight Streamlight TL2s work fine.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaltered
    Of course cruise ships are "disarmed-victim zones" to the extreme of no pocket knifes
    WHAT!!!???? Not even the Swiss Army knife? That's unbelievable.

There are always some type of weapon around if you know what you are doing. One of the most common, that even gets by TSA, your keys. If you don't have a a nice long car key, find one!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I always have the following with me on the airplane.

Laptop power supply
    Steel shaft pens
    #2 pencils
    Keys
    Shotgun choke tool
    Heavy belt and buckle
    Various cords about 6ft or a little better in length
    Can of soda/pop
    A Surefire light

All these weapons should be allowed on a cruise ship as well.

-Scott-

I know how you feel, BTDT the security on these ships is very tight, however they do not search you luggage, if it leaves your room however and they find it they will confiscate it. Heck they even took someones soldering iron that they bought at a Radio Shack. Go figure maybe they feared that they were going to melt a holein the side of the ship (not). Yes I felt Naked without my HK but I still had a good time all things considered.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

How about one of those innocuous looking fountain pens that have a long solid knife blade attached to the inside of the cap?

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Flashlights and canes and those big, fat Sharpie markers are your friends in these types of situations.

A few other items that are also excellent are the Stinger and the Travel Wrench.

Of course, I highly doubt that they'll actually search your bag so I would probably carry a couple of knives with me anyway. Notice, I won't go on record as actually reccommending that you violate the restrictions, I'm just telling you what I would do .
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I don't understand. Are they going to rummage through every last bit of your luggage to find a pocket knife??

I'd get a couple of used ones on ebay, or from a forum member, and bury them deep in my suitcase.

They would come out on the ship and probably be reserved for state room defense. These should be folders you wouldnt be upset about if you had to drop them off the side into davy jones locker.

I never thought of "Cute keychains" here's one if you're an animal lover.
    http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/K...ns/wildkat.php
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links