Video Interview: Man defends child and pregnant wife against intruder - Page 2

Video Interview: Man defends child and pregnant wife against intruder

This is a discussion on Video Interview: Man defends child and pregnant wife against intruder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This reminds me of a story Gramps told me. He was sitting one nite reading a book with most of the lights turned off when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This reminds me of a story Gramps told me.
    He was sitting one nite reading a book with most of the lights turned off when he heard someone try the locked front door, then leave. He got up, looked out the window and saw the BG walking towards the back door which was tested too. Gramps fetched his 12ga., unlocked the front door and took a seat facing it. when the BG tryed the front door again, it opened....Gramps said the guy took off like a rocket having found out the jig was up....
    When in doubt, wup it out....

Yes he made some mistakes, but the guy is OK, but what I can't understand is he allowed the BG to back him up for so long. The BG ignored repeated commands....

I would have fired immediately. BG comes into the house and advances and can see I'm armed? He's definately not with good intentions.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    It is for exactly this reason that I carry an XD, have one on the nightstand, and the wife carries an SP101. I would hate to lose a loved one or be shot myself by an intruder because I forgot to take the safety off.

This guy got lucky.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    It is for exactly this reason that I carry an XD, have one on the nightstand, and the wife carries an SP101. I would hate to lose a loved one or be shot myself by an intruder because I forgot to take the safety off.
    That is what happens when you are that unfamiliar with your own gun and/or have a lack of training on how to use it. It really isn't rocket science, but it is critical.

This guy got lucky.
    Yes he did. Even though he knew there was a suspicious person on his property and he took the time to arm himself, he still had a tough time defeating a slowly advancing unarmed bad guy!

From the Speedy Gonzalez cartoon, "Slow Poke Rodriquez, he pack a gun."
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

San Antonio man stops intruder (video).......

Saw this posted on XDtalk.....not sure if anyone posted here. Anyway, here's the link to the video......Man Recounts Shooting of Home Intruder : ClipSyndicate Video

I just realized that I mistakenly posted this in the wrong section.....mods, please move if necessary.
    Last edited by petey1; July 4th, 2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: posted in wrong section of forum

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Another reason I own a Glock. Under stress, I just don't want to have to remember all that safety stuff. .
    That's why my wife only likes revolvers. No safety , little chance of a jam, and if it misfires, just pull the trigger again.

I don't want to flog a lifeless equine, but the lesson we should all take from this is LOCK THE DOOR......Duh! Especially if you KNOW there is a prowler in your yard. This guy was not too bright. I'm still glad he and his family are safe.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    All I can add to what's already been said is... practice, practice, practice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I'm glad the guy and his family are safe... As for his mistakes, it seems as if training and mental preparedness are the keys here. He has a gun with a safety. Fine. I have trained myself that if I am arming myself for defense, the first thing that happens is the safety comes off. In fact, my 1911 comes off safe as I pick it up... it's one motion. Not locking your doors is just a plain stupid habit. Security, among other things, comes down to habits. Our doors are always locked except when we pass through them. Why? Because unless you have a key or an invite, you don't get in... And I'll never understand giving ground against 1 assailant in your own house when you're armed... One warning. If he doesn't heed it... one magazine center mass to stop the threat. Reload and get back on target.

Again, glad he's safe... he did just about everything in the world to ensure he wasn't.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

It's always good to hear or read what others have gone through when they face the BG. At least he was able to keep his head and actually think about why the gun did not go off the first time, some might have totally frozen.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

M2
    This happened here in San Antonio back on 1 July, here is the article which only says the intruder was in critical condition.

There will be a Grand Jury investigation, but that is standard practice for any shooting.

It is pretty much guaranteed that the homeowner will receive a 'No Bill' verdict, which means he was cleared of any wrongdoing. With Texas' laws, Castle Doctrine, and the recent verdict in the Joe Horn case in Pasadena, Texas, the criminals are beginning to learn that the law-abiding citizen in the Lone Star State has the right to defend themselves, their family and their property without fear of criminal or civil lawsuits.

God Bless Texas!

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    Just more proof for the "Anti's"
    negative. it's not proof; they'll just ignore it, or twist it around for their own benefit. people who won't see reason in the first place can't be made to see it, no matter what proof you give 'em.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I can see several things that say this guy is lucky he's talking and not dead.#1 He has a gun that he is not familiar enough with as to try to fire without taking the safety off,they have had people die because they pulled a gun and because they tried to shoot the gun on safe the BG killed them.You need to practice with your weapon enough to where employing it becomes second nature.#2 The guy just walked in his house,why didn't he lock the door behind him when he came in the house if he's been watching this guy acting weird and the guys bicycle is on his porch.I keep my doors locked if somebody has to kick my door open it's gonna make enough noise and slow them down just enough for me to draw and fire if I need to.
    My thoughts exactly..Why was the door unlocked?

M2
    It's easy to Monday-morning quarterback this situation, but all things considered he was successful in defending his wife and unborn child from the intruder. Be it because of luck or skill, it doesn't matter, as to quote an old Air Force axiom, I'd rather be luck than good any day!

I seriously doubt any of us would be perfect in a similar situation, the best we can do is train and hope that we do the right thing if and when the time comes. But let's forgo blasting this guy because he didn't perform textbook perfect, and be happy that it had a happy ending for the right people.

Cheers! M2

Just goes to show you how much of an equalizer the gun is!

Thousands of people with little or no training are still able to successfully utilize a firearm to defend themselves against the predators!

Of course I always cringe when I see people use a firearm who obviously have not had a lot of gun handling skills or tactical training, but hopefully it's safe to say that at least for this guy... More training is gonna be on his "short list" of activities to do before the baby arrives.

Thank the lord it wasn't any worse. The homeowner definitely was showing signs of denial that the event was happening and clearly did not want to have to shoot the guy.

Some real hardened criminals who have been in the joint more than a few times can easily capitalize on such visible display of uncertainty and possibly charge him and successfully disarm him.

Still the first rule is to HAVE a gun! He did, and he used it and he and his family are safe.

Good Guys 1 / Bad Guy 0

for the good guys!

And a good interview! Shows us who are "in the know" where he was lacking... and shows the anti's that he was clearly a good guy who did what he had to do even though he didn't want it to go that far.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Everyone seems to be critical of him not locking the door but I'm going to cut him some slack on that one. Imagine, wife calls and tells you about a prowler in the area. You get home and see a bicycle on your front porch and a stranger skulking around your neighbors house. My first thought would be to get in my house and check out if my wife and child were O.K. I can easily understand that in a hyper, anxious state I may not think to re-lock the door behind me before I checked out my family.

The gun is a different situation. I agree that this guy is very lucky to be alive. To have the time to fire once, unsuccessfully, recycle the gun, remove the safety and fire again is amazing. Given all we've heard about how quickly an assailant can cover that magic 21 ft, he is indeed fortunate.

From another printed news article:
    Police said Stevens will not face any charges for pulling the trigger.

Stevens told News 4 he just wants the intruder to be okay.

Garcia remained in critical condition at University Hospital as of Tuesday afternoon. Police found a beer can in his pocket and suspect he was drunk when he entered the home.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links