Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW? - Page 2

Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW?

This is a discussion on Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've learned not to tell friends because its just asking for trouble. I now fear that one of them will say the wrong thing while ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW?

I've learned not to tell friends because its just asking for trouble. I now fear that one of them will say the wrong thing while I'm around and escalate a fight or something because they know I have a gun.

I don't want some guy bowing up to me and then having a girl say "something really bad will happen to you if you don't back down" while I'm trying to descalate the situation.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I found a similar thread perculated to the top this afternoon. Figured there must be one out there but didn't know what to search by. Maybe MODs will merge... Hope I'm posting the link correctly:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ans-ccing.html

I work at a private school I cant not carry there but I always talk to the kids about shooting, sometime I take kids to the range, they have a great time.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    This is a very good example of the circle...
    1.people do not stay quiet
    2. friends change
    3. for some public perception is their business
    4. it is personal decision, not a public one

I am an instructor in a relatively small town, so some have an idea, buy only my wife knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by trob09 View Post
    I concur. I told exactly 2 people when I started to carry:

1. my wife (no explanation necessary)
    2. a co-worker who sits next to me. We'd gone shooting together a couple of times. He's ex-military and has expressed interest in getting his permit.

Next thing I know, other people from work are coming up to me saying "I can't believe you have a GUN on you bla, bla, bla".

Circle of trust - broken
    willingness to share - gone.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

It's not all a big bad secret...you kind of have to 'feel' your way through this.
    At school I don't talk a lot about SD, but I have with various individuals...the results? Most people know that I like firearms and have a permit, four of the staff members are working on, or already have their CCW permits, others are intrested. I think that was a great trade.
    Then again, I work in a rural FL high school and most families have guns at home, are pro-gun, (and won't vote Dem...thought I'd just throw that in).

One thing is for sure, if you tell one person at work, they will all eventually know. If you tell one family member, they will eventually all hear about it. You be the judge!

Stay armed...think ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    For my part, it's because I am a public-school educator. Most of my colleagues would be aghast (and frankly, terrified ) if they knew that I even had a permit, much less carried whenever legal. And believe me, in the small-town, good-old-boy-club atmosphere of a Southern school district, there would be repercussions.

Needless to say, carry in public schools is against the law, and I do comply with the law.

The few people who know I have a permit are either immediate family, other permit holders, or those who are getting ready to get their own.

Ditto...although carrying in a public school IS lawful in Oregon with a permit.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

My friends know. I don't tell strangers, but the people that know will know. Last Sunday I was asked if I wanted to go to the range by a member at my church. Of course I accepted. As we were driving around town, my new friend (had known for about 2 months, but never hung out) mentioned that he had a permit. I was not completely blindsided by this, as we WERE talking about guns at the time. What did blindside me, however, was what came out of my mouth next. I told him that I usually carried concealed 24/7 365 unless I was in a firearms restricted area. He asked if I was armed at that time. I responded that I was not, because I had just moved to the state and was still waiting for my permit to come in the mail. I have never told somebody that I didn't know too well about my ccw status. All went well, and at least I know who the good guys are and who will be armed should anything go down in the middle of a service!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I've been carrying for years. In retirement, I wear my shirt outside my pants, and carry (in warm weather) my CZ P01 or (in cold weather) my Beretta 92 FS. I may print or not, but since I am licensed, I don't much care.

Since I have no business folks to be worried about, I'm not worried.

And as for the anti-gun folks, my stock respose is, "I hope you never need one."

I really don't understand this thread. I work at a college and today I mentioned to one of the program directors that I had taken the CWP class. She immediately said "I need to take that class and I think I will the next time the school offers it".

At least half of the professors and staff carry a gun in their car and several have a CWP. I have been asked by some of the Deans about my permit and what kind of gun I have. I have also been offered some for sale by several of the staff and I am not talking just men.

Due to state law I cannot carry on the school grounds but can have one in my car in the parking lot. I don't know but it just seems around here to be understood that everyone has a gun of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I've read many people comment about how friends, family, and neighbors don't know they have CCW permits. I'm sure people have a good reason for this and am interested in hearing. I haven't felt the need to be as quite with my friends and neighbors about how I feel about CCW, when the topic comes up, and have been surprised to find that everyone I've run into so far seems to receive it positively. I've even discovered many other people who already have, or are wanting to obtain, their own CCW.

If someone has a link to a previous discussion on the topic, I'd love to see it.

Thanks so much! This site is awesome and I've found my work is starting to suffer from spending too much time here!
    It's not a good thing to go around telling people that you have a CCW. The idea of a concealed weapon is that nobody knows you have it? Why go around broadcasting it, even if it is friends and family? It can backfire on you.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

It "ain't" concealed if everyone knows it!

I don't make a habit of telling everyone. Most people with whom I have regular contact, I don't make a big deal of secrecy either.

I don't hide it at the shooting range even though most of the members are trap shooters. I have a friend who owns a pawn shop and he sells some guns. I don't hide it from him either. I have several friends who also have ccl's and I don't hide it from them.

But I am not going to tell everyone I meet. I am a writer and recently published an article on the 2nd amendment and cc. I used my real name in a newspaper which is miles away from where I live, but I debated long and hard about using it in a local newspaper. I just felt that with my photo in the column there would be too many people who might cause me grief if they knew I carried. The editor agreed to let me use a "non de plume"; but when the paper dropped the printed version to go totally Internet I went ahead and let them use my real name.

In a fairly small town, I don't need the BG's recognizing me and knowing I carry decide I should be taken out first. It's that simple.

There isn't an upside to telling, other than an interesting topic of conversation or a testosterone boost.

Btw it's legal to carry in schools in California, as it is in Oregon.

When I got my permit I felt like I wanted to share it with all my neighbors. Fortunately my son who has been carrying a lot longer than me warned me not to say anything. It was great advice as this is what happened next:
    Shortly after this a neighbor who I was friendly with became agitated about a fence that I legally installed. I wound up calling the cops when he threaten me in front of two witnesses. For the next few months they were trying to "get back" at me and actually called the cops and filed a bogus charge against me.
    Just think how this may have wound up if they knew I carry and told the LEOs that I pulled my gun on them.
    Trust me, it is so much better to be discreet. It might be something that you may not realize at this time until an incident happens.

Most of my friends know, they also carry. I was the first to get a CCW, and 4 friends have followed. The GF knows, and is quite happy about it. Ill occasionally get the "accidental" bump at 3:00 if things start getting dicey :) My family knows, oddly enough, they are not happy about it and my g-pa is a ret. cop.

I just dont volunteer it right away, and i never do it in public. just to avoid the whole "OH MY GAWD, YOU CARRY A GUN!" ordeal in the middle of applebee's
    Springfield XD40 Service

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It's not all a big bad secret...you kind of have to 'feel' your way through this.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I don't make a secret about it -- just don't broadcast it.

As I regularly write LTEs defending RKBA, I doubt if many folk who know me would be surprised, if they thought about it. However, I suspect that many white zone don't put the two and the two together.

Work is no problem -- retired.

Some volunteer work has been -- their loss, not mine. An exception has been at VT. The folk I work with there are pro-RKBA.

Relationships within Non-RKBA organizations (not Anti just other focuses) has been contentious at times. For example, I was vocal about the ATC opposing the carry on NPS lands. They can take it or leave it. I am not planning to run for office anyway.

In all that, I doubt that any of the antis made me CCing -- which I do more than 90% of the time. And I think that is helped by my OC, some of the time. In Virginia, you can't CC in a restaurant w/ ABC on site. However, you can OC and drink, or not. So, the antis get uptight when they see OC. And I assume that they then assume I'm not carrying when I am CC.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links