Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW? - Page 3

Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW?

This is a discussion on Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shortly after this a neighbor who I was friendly with became agitated about a fence................ Great example, Jframe. Any accusation of brandishing, he said she ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shortly after this a neighbor who I was friendly with became agitated about a fence................
    Great example, Jframe. Any accusation of brandishing, he said she said, is going to hard to disprove.

Because many folks have a knee-jerk opinion and lash out because of it. Irrational as that may seem, it's real and it can bite.

Witness the Disney reticence in Florida. Or Pizza Hut's wonderful treatment of employees who carry. Or any number of folks whose friends or family shun them forever after once they find out. It's sad, but in many places it's utterly true.

Until opinions change, we're left with that. Can't change it overnight. Can't wish it away. In the meantime, we've got to deal with the fallout. To the extent that fallout can create havoc (financial or otherwise) in your life, far be it from me to color you childish or unthinking for taking that tack.

For myself, I know several people who wouldn't take it well at all. So, at least for the time being, until time can help them change their attitudes, my carry status isn't their concern. Works for me, and that's what counts.

BTW, until you've had coworkers threaten your livelihood or had relatives threaten their relationship with you, don't knock it . It's real, for many.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Except with family, I take the "conceal the concealed carry" approach. I've often wondered how awkward it would be for me to talk to a good friend about a CHL, only to have him (or her!) admit to not being able to qualify. I don't know if I'd want to put a friend in that position...

I was raised that you didn't broadcast family business. This seems to fall into that category.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I have told someone outside of my immediate family about my CCW (once), but don't share it as a general rule. Did so that one time with discretion as a new carrier, probably out of exuberance, if I'm honest about it. No negatives occurred, but I'm over it now, and don't tell. Also got to thinking about it, and as life goes on, I hear from time to time about 'so-and-so' that we all thought was an upstanding guy, who turned out to be associated with seedier elements. You never really know who you're telling your 'secrets' to...

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Great feedback. Thanks to all who've offered their opinion. Trust me, I'm not running around broadcasting to everyone I meet. But as I said, many don't even let their families know as said above and that's what I was after. I'm not even the kind of person who puts up political signs in my yard because of the friction it seems to cause.

I really appreciated the example shared about the disgruntled neighbor. That was probably the most realistic and conceivable trouble I think anyone shared (at least for my family, work, and living situation).

People talk. The information you want to get relayed may not get relayed by a third party talking about you. I learned this the hard way. I got my CCW, and the family was aware. We went over to a friends house and my 11 year old who had just received a lecture not to tell anyone blurted out "My dad has a gun hidden under his shirt!"... What he was really trying to tell them was that I got my CCW. Fortunately it was very friendly company, but it resulted in a very stern lecture.

I question even telling kids in the family. Specifically to avoid the, "My dad carries a gun all the time!" playground bragging. The kind of thing a teacher overhears and then later freaks out at parent-teacher conferences all worried that you have a gun.

If you don't tell, you control that information completely.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianko View Post
    I've often wondered how awkward it would be for me to talk to a good friend about a CHL, only to have him (or her!) admit to not being able to qualify. I don't know if I'd want to put a friend in that position...
    Another good point!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I liken it to another aspect of my life...

I work in a church, but I love some things that not every one at church approves of. I brew and drink beer, I drink single malt scotch, I smoke cigars... etc. Now there is no explicit rule against any of these at the church I work at (furthermore there is no Biblical precept prohibiting any of them), however some people just do not approve and cannot even contemplate these things. So what do I do? I simply don't tell people that I'm going home to brew tonight - or that I'm going to a cigar lounge for a tasting... I just tell them I'm busy tonight. Why? Certainly not because I'm ashamed of my actions or because they're wrong. I don't tell them what I'm up to because it saves me a hassle then and later when they decide to blab about it.

Carrying is the same way... It's not illegal (provided you're licensed and following all applicable laws), it's not wrong and it's not something you should have to hide... but it sure as hell will make your life easier if you do keep it hush-hush. You will always know people who believe differently than you (about anything, not just self defense), and there are times when it's easier to not even bring certain topics up.

Just my two cents.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Besides all the other great reasons mentioned, you lose any "tactical surprise" you may have.

To me it's the same as flashing a big wad of money in public. It may draw some attention you certainly don't want.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Speaking only for my self: I don't invite random folks into my private life , be it my bedroom or my beltline . I don't feel i have a thing to hide in either instance i quoted , but rather i feel its none of anyones business .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Why all the "hush hush?

Tactical advantage plus... I'm sick to death of stupid people, arrogant know it all butt holes and liberals who will give up every right we have for the mere promise of security!

It took me a while to learn that keeping my personal life private really does make life MUCH easier!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Why all the hush-hush about CCW?
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    It "ain't" concealed if everyone knows it!
    Exactly! Concealed is hidden by definition. If I carry and others know about, it's open carry in a sense.

Of course one's spouse knows, and if you shoot IDPA or IPSC competitions, it's fairly certain that every competitor you see there has a permit.

But you may travel in other social circles where public knowledge that you carry is detrimental, like at work, as several previous posters in this thread mentioned, or spouse's anti relatives who would sever relations if they knew.

The only people who know are my pastor, my wife, and only my friends who also carry. My Kids don't know, nor does my imediate family(some are real liberal). The element of surprise is my main reason for not telling.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Most of my friends either have guns, want a gun, CCW or working on it. Some family members know, but NEVER tell your mum, she will get a lecture. I know if she ever finds out i have one coming
    It's Barbados Ah come from
    Celebration Lodge #36
    Celebration, Fl.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links