Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW?

This is a discussion on Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read many people comment about how friends, family, and neighbors don't know they have CCW permits. I'm sure people have a good reason for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curious why all the hush-hush about CCW?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

I've read many people comment about how friends, family, and neighbors don't know they have CCW permits. I'm sure people have a good reason for this and am interested in hearing. I haven't felt the need to be as quite with my friends and neighbors about how I feel about CCW, when the topic comes up, and have been surprised to find that everyone I've run into so far seems to receive it positively. I've even discovered many other people who already have, or are wanting to obtain, their own CCW.

If someone has a link to a previous discussion on the topic, I'd love to see it.

Thanks so much! This site is awesome and I've found my work is starting to suffer from spending too much time here!

2. Remove Ads

Here was my answer from a similiar thread...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ans-ccing.html

From mine, and other members past experience, letting people in on our 'little secret' tends to end badly. Either a 'friend' is more likely to get into a confrontation because he knows you carry or a co-worker finds out and next thing you know your employee handbook is changed. Often enough, after one person that you 'trust' knows, everybody knows, including people you would have never told on your own.

I'm all for furthering concealed carry, but just make sure the people you allow into your circle of trust truly belong there.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    For my part, it's because I am a public-school educator. Most of my colleagues would be aghast (and frankly, terrified ) if they knew that I even had a permit, much less carried whenever legal. And believe me, in the small-town, good-old-boy-club atmosphere of a Southern school district, there would be repercussions.

Needless to say, carry in public schools is against the law, and I do comply with the law.

The few people who know I have a permit are either immediate family, other permit holders, or those who are getting ready to get their own.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Always carry, never tell. This falls into the "nunya" category as it is nobody's business but your and the BG's.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The FEWER people who KNOW you carry, the BETTER!

Why? There will be less chance of someone under stress inappropriately giving you away, when, WITH SURPRISE, you might at least have had a hope of saving a life, possibly your own!

adding this

CCW will be perceived in many ways.
    The people you tell many not be anti gun, but some may not hear CCW, but instead hear GUN: I have a gun*, I use gun* right now, do you have a gun*? Let me tell you about my gun*. (CCW*)

They may wonder why you told them you carry a gun not so much why you carry a gun.

I think you really have to pick your spots, and know about the person to whom you're speaking. For example, most of my family and a number of friends know my wife and I carry, but that's because most of them carry, or will be soon.

I'm very circumspect with folks I'm not sure about. I'm also very careful about who might overhear a conversation.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Here was my answer from a similiar thread...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ans-ccing.html

From mine, and other members past experience, letting people in on our 'little secret' tends to end badly. Either a 'friend' is more likely to get into a confrontation because he knows you carry or a co-worker finds out and next thing you know your employee handbook is changed. Often enough, after one person that you 'trust' knows, everybody knows, including people you would have never told on your own.

I'm all for furthering concealed carry, but just make sure the people you allow into your circle of trust truly belong there.
    I concur. I told exactly 2 people when I started to carry:

1. my wife (no explanation necessary)
    2. a co-worker who sits next to me. We'd gone shooting together a couple of times. He's ex-military and has expressed interest in getting his permit.

Next thing I know, other people from work are coming up to me saying "I can't believe you have a GUN on you bla, bla, bla".

Circle of trust - broken
    willingness to share - gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I've read many people comment about how friends, family, and neighbors don't know they have CCW permits. I'm sure people have a good reason for this and am interested in hearing. I haven't felt the need to be as quite with my friends and neighbors about how I feel about CCW, when the topic comes up, and have been surprised to find that everyone I've run into so far seems to receive it positively. I've even discovered many other people who already have, or are wanting to obtain, their own CCW.
    The most perceived reason for "concealment of concealing" is because many people are not comfortable with it. Similarly, I myself might be uncomfortable walking among a bunch of strangers who openly carried. That is probably attributable to upbringing. Still though, that is nothing new, because open carry of handguns became prohibited in the old wild west over a century ago because of the reputations of drunks and hell-raisers.

Ideally the CHL licensee will be discreet and will dress and appear as if he is last person suspected of carrying. If circumstances should ever arise where the handgun is needed, the CHL will be least expected, and thus he will have a tremendous advantage. That is a great reason for keeping concealment concealed. In a small town if you tell one friend and you might as well put it in the newspaper.

I know, I know, there is a desire to discuss it with others. That is why we have this forum. Those who come here expect that others will be CHL licensees and it is no big deal.

At work, political correctness is tied to insurance rates, favored-status in government programs, and good-standing with certain charities. Political correctness leaves little room for openly gabbing about what's out in my car. That would be just plain stupid.

My friends know I carry ... because I can't really be friends with people who are strongly anti-gun. At church ... I have let a few people know because I am opening up and becoming friends with them. It's completely legal and a conflict on the subject would not put my income in jeopardy. If confronted on the subject by church leadership I would not be neither cooperative nor unpleasant and hopefully it won't result in them doing something that would permanently alienate me from a congregation that I have come to enjoy.

I won't be totally open about it because people will never agree on the issue and I'm not into arguing with idiots.

I aint sayin' a word 'bout that.

Only my family and a few business people know that I have a permit, and none of them know when or what I'm carrying. Blabbing it around to other people just seems rude and 'macho' in the worst sense.

Besides, gremlins love surprises.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    The Brady Bunch against Self-Defense run ads and hand out flyers about our Self Defense laws. “Shoot First Laws” as they call them. Their intent is not to help Florida, but the message they are getting out by accident is “Be Polite, You never know who is armed.” Or “There is no right to Road Rage, You never know who is armed.” Concealed Carry laws work best when advertized publically to make sure the BG’s know that the population may be armed. I have helped two women and one guy at work get their Florida CWL in the 6 months I have been back in FL. There are a few more mostly women that are interested in obtaining theirs. The best way to defend your neighbor is to help them defend themselves. In the end if your neighbors and you are armed the BG’s wont want anything to do with your neighborhood, and life is better.

Thank you Brady Bunch.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I think most of the people in my office probably know I have a CCW but the office is also 1000miles away and I work from a home office. I know one of the other guys that works in the office spilled the beans he was carrying one day and caused nothing but problems for him.
    If I'm not in my home office, then I'm traveling around the country as part of my sales job. I end up talking to other sales people that service the same industry with their own products. These are the people I run into and find out they already have CCW or are interesed.
    The people that make me the most nervous with them knowing are my girlfriends co-workers. The couple of people in her office have come to know and I would rather they didn't. She works for a hotel in the area so we sometimes end up going to community events and then the younger guys end up wanting to bring it up as a topic of conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I've read many people comment about how friends, family, and neighbors don't know they have CCW permits. I'm sure people have a good reason for this and am interested in hearing. I haven't felt the need to be as quite with my friends and neighbors about how I feel about CCW, when the topic comes up, and have been surprised to find that everyone I've run into so far seems to receive it positively. I've even discovered many other people who already have, or are wanting to obtain, their own CCW...
    Most of my friends are people I shoot with (trap, IDPA or just at the range) so it wouldn't horrify any of them if they knew I was carrying. I told the president of our trap club (he's also a friend & a LEO) that I had a CHL and that I might be carrying now. He thanked me for the heads up.

None of my neighbors know. I found out that my cousin and (Front Range) brother had their CHLs sort of by accident.

IMHO, I think it's better left unsaid.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links