I've come to a conclusion about concealed carry...

This is a discussion on I've come to a conclusion about concealed carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I've been carrying a little while now. I've also been on this forum for awhile as well and I've realized something. Despite the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've come to a conclusion about concealed carry...

I've come to a conclusion about concealed carry...

Ok, so I've been carrying a little while now. I've also been on this forum for awhile as well and I've realized something.

Despite the fact that I am aware of the pistol on my hip, no one else in the world even cares that my waistband exists, much less that it might contain a gun.

Very often my wife and I will go somewhere for hours and hours (holding hands, etc.) and when I get home and disarm she'll say something like, "oh, I didn't realize you had it with you."

Bottom line, I think for me, was the realization that it just doesn't even cross people's minds. The next time you're having a long conversation with someone, count the number of times they look at your hip. I bet the number is pretty close to zero.

People are no more looking for our sidearms than they are looking for a man with 6 fingers on his right hand. Some of us are looking, but even then only occasionally.

Now, none of that is to say don't be careful. My only point is its probably just not something to spend much time worrying about. Thoughts?

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

2. Remove Ads

I think you're right...most sheeple are so clueless that they probably wouldn't see it until you whacked them upside the head with it.

If you carry with a decent belt and holster, I don't think you really have much to worry about.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

A few years back, I invited a couple non-shooters to go to the range with me. We were to meet up at my house, review safety, and then share a ride to the range. When they showed up, I was wearing T-shirt and jeans, with an exposed belt holster containing a full size pistol.

We talked for about a half hour, and one of them asked me a question about loading a pistol. I safely drew, cleared, and started to demonstrate... only then noticing their eyes were the size of saucers. We had been talking about guns for over a half hour, and neither of these two guys noticed the big, black handgun strapped to my hip.

I never again worried about concealment.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Once one starts CCW, it's a non-issue, it's just like a watch, a wallet, a ring, or a cell phone...get up in the morning, load up the 'tools', and it's out the door.

Stay armed...always take your 'tools' with you...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've realized this truth for a long time. As a result I'm comfortable carrying guns that I shoot well and that I enjoy shooting.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    yes...most of us come to that conclusion if you have carried long enough....no body notices...and that is great...I think for most you could carry IWB with your shirt tucked in so the grip is showing and nobody would notice...now I am NOT saying to try...but it would be an experiment in some OC friendly state.
    the only people that notice CC is 'us', and maybe LEO.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I was thinking of just this as I left the house today. Armed of course and what I was thinking was simply I don't care if I get made I'm legal I do the best I can not to be found out..

I also live in a open carry state so there is not much that can be done...

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    Ok, so I've been carrying a little while now. I've also been on this forum for awhile as well and I've realized something.

Despite the fact that I am aware of the pistol on my hip, no one else in the world even cares that my waistband exists, much less that it might contain a gun.

Very often my wife and I will go somewhere for hours and hours (holding hands, etc.) and when I get home and disarm she'll say something like, "oh, I didn't realize you had it with you."

Bottom line, I think for me, was the realization that it just doesn't even cross people's minds. The next time you're having a long conversation with someone, count the number of times they look at your hip. I bet the number is pretty close to zero.

People are no more looking for our sidearms than they are looking for a man with 6 fingers on his right hand. Some of us are looking, but even then only occasionally.

Now, none of that is to say don't be careful. My only point is its probably just not something to spend much time worrying about. Thoughts?

Mel

When we started carrying, I'd wear different shorts and I'd ask Holly what it looked like when walking, sitting (where it would be tighter and more noticeable), and it's funny, everytime she'd say: "Yes, yes! It looks like a gun!" But it also looks exactly like a cell phone or wallet -- if you don't know, it doesn't even enter people's mind. Unless a stereotype is born on guys wearing NRA caps....just like people feared teenagers in long black overcoats for a while here when a few of the school shootings occurred..
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

All of these are great thoughts. I agree. It's surprising when i open carry and have nobody notice, or at least it used to be. I swear the citizens of the United States are SO zoned out you could walk around with an AR-15 and nobody would notice...
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I agree,Agentmel.When any of us visit a store,how many could say what color the floor was, if someone asked you in the parking lot after you left the store?Not many.Most people walked around like they are lost.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I used to be very self conscious about carrying. I have been doing it about 6 months now and I do not concern myself with printing any more. No one really looks for it as they are not expecting people to carry guns with them.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Agreed. Around here, some people were highly attentive to CCW people.... as the law was new last year. However, it seems they got tired (except for the Gov who wants to reverse it and still ticked they over-rode her veto) as no one was paying attention to it, and many were "glad" that they were allowed... and this was the non-carrying people.

So, it's becoming more that way .... every once in awhile .. there's somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post

If you carry with a decent belt and holster, I don't think you really have much to worry about.
    That's the secret right there. When it's comfortably worn sometimes even you the person who is wearing it forget its there. It kind of becomes a part of you. As far as people are concerned the only time I ever got made was when I got hugged at a party and then you get the eyes wide open response. Needless to say I shy away from hugs now.
    NRA Member

Very true statement. Friday will make a week a was CCW, so you know i am thinking every one is seeing me. I keep pulling and looking at myself every chance i get. Was in home depot yesterday getting material , while being assitance from two store people, i was bending lefting stuff
    none of them notice. i was shocked, i swore one would soon run off and call security. went on a job today in a highend office to do some painting where 90% percent of the staff are women. I left my G19 lock in carsafe cause i didnt want to scare them, even tho there would mentioned it to me instead of running and hide. I left the holster on and my shirt would always come up and leave holster expose. None of them ever notice. Again shock.
    It's Barbados Ah come from
    Celebration Lodge #36
    Celebration, Fl.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links