Question on Missouri Carry

This is a discussion on Question on Missouri Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From what the CC instructor here in KS told our class, Missouri has no state preemption, therefre munucipalities can restrict concealed carry. I can find ...

From what the CC instructor here in KS told our class, Missouri has no state preemption, therefre munucipalities can restrict concealed carry. I can find nothing from either the AG or St. Louis Sheriff's dept regarding prohibition in St. Louis or other municipalities. The AG's website says MO permits are valid state wide.

This weekend I may be traveling to St. Louis for a couple of days.

So, I would appreciate a synopsis if anyone could provide it accurately and/or some link to a resource where I can verify the info.

I know the folks here are knowledgable enough to save me some time in my search for this info, and any help is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Missouri has state preemption. This is the AG's site for concealed carry Missouri Attorney General's Office :: Concealed Weapons :: Concealed Carry Reciprocity
    and this link will take you to a MSHP booklet on concealed carry http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSH...ts/SHP-863.pdf
    I hope this answers your questions and enjoy your visit to Missouri.

You might take a look at Missouri Carry (http://www.missouricarry.org) if you need info on MO.

You're legal in MO just about anywhere that's not posted, federal (post office, etc), Dept of ED, state parks... I'm sure I'm missing something. The above linked PDF is very good.

Welcome to MO, and do be careful in St. Louis... there's some rather rough spots around.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Thanks for the info folks.

I know many (most) parts of St. Louis are pretty nasty, I'll try to avoid them as always.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    You might take a look at Missouri Carry (http://www.missouricarry.org) if you need info on MO.

You're legal in MO just about anywhere that's not posted, federal (post office, etc), Dept of ED, state parks... I'm sure I'm missing something. The above linked PDF is very good.

Welcome to MO, and do be careful in St. Louis... there's some rather rough spots around.
    Why would you think State Parks are off limits? Missouri has no legally enforceable off limits areas. Federal off limits apply which includes schools, national parks, secure portions of airports, etc. No signs by anyone have any weight.

Pack on.

Munucipities, can restrict, open carry & discharge. Also remember that the Arch is a national park. St. Louis restrict open carry.
    "A man has a right to protect his property and his life"
    Robert Duvall
    Open Range

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    Why would you think State Parks are off limits? Missouri has no legally enforceable off limits areas. ... No signs by anyone have any weight.
    Sorry, I misspoke on state parks, I was thinking about federal parks. Hopefully, this issue will resolve itself shortly.

He asked about what was legal, not what he could get away with. Legally, you can't carry in a posted location. Happily, the punishment for breaking that law is negligible, but it's still illegal.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Carrying in privately owned businesses, restaurants and such that are posted no firearms is not a criminal act unless you fail to peacefully leave if you are asked.

Then you can be issued a citation with a $100 fine for 1st offense at the discretion of responding LEO's. No loss of permit for 1st offense.

If they do not confront you to provide you an opportunity to leave peacefully, and instead call the police, the LEO's usually won't cite you as you did not have an opportunity to leave or take your gun to the car.

Remember, you are a law abiding citizen who exercises a legal right to carry gun. It all depends on how you conduct yourself as to how people will respond to you, including LEO's. If you act like an idiot, expect to be treated like an idiot.

Welcome to Missouri and have fun in St. Louis!

Semper Fi
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I try to refrain from acting like at idiot whenever possible.

Enjoy your trip to Missouri!

One other thing to be aware of: if you're going downtown near the Arch, be very careful about crossing the bridge into IL. Almost everytime I go down there I accidentally end up on the bridge and have to set foot in IL to turn around.

Not only is it a very dangerous area, it's illegal to have a loaded firearm in your car. No correlation there, I'm sure.

Have a safe trip!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Enjoy your trip to Missouri!

One other thing to be aware of: if you're going downtown near the Arch, be very careful about crossing the bridge into IL. Almost everytime I go down there I accidentally end up on the bridge and have to set foot in IL to turn around.

Not only is it a very dangerous area, it's illegal to have a loaded firearm in your car. No correlation there, I'm sure.

Have a safe trip!
    Joe
    Yeah, Illinois sucks. My in-laws live there, that's whay I'm going to St.Louis. Meeting them to spend the weekend with nieces and nephews. I HATE going to IL, but that's another topic.

Since the Arch is a NP I won't be carrying there. Not allowed because someone might kill and animal. How many animals exactly are there at the arch? I guess that's another topic too.

Thanks for the info guys.

+1 on raytracer's post! I forgot about the bridges into IL. It can get kind of confusing down in that area when navigating unfamiliar terrain.

SgtD... You're a Marine! I never for a moment thought you would act any way other than a squared away professional. Irrespective of Eleanor Roosevelt quote!

(The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
    )

Semper Fi
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    +1 on raytracer's post! I forgot about the bridges into IL. It can get kind of confusing down in that area when navigating unfamiliar terrain.

SgtD... You're a Marine! I never for a moment thought you would act any way other than a squared away professional. Irrespective of Eleanor Roosevelt quote!

(The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
    )

Semper Fi
    That quote fit me rather well in my younger days when I was in the Corps, however my morals have improved since then, at least that's what I keep trying to convince my wife of anyway.

Links