Traveling in Massachusetts

This is a discussion on Traveling in Massachusetts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have CCW permit for Connecticut, and I have a time share in MA. I'm wondering if any of you know what is required for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling in Massachusetts

I have CCW permit for Connecticut, and I have a time share in MA. I'm wondering if any of you know what is required for transporting a handgun in MA. I don't want to keep my guns in the house while on vacation. I don't plan to carry, just keep them under lock and key.

I spoke with a gentleman who taught me the NRA gun safety course, and he says locked and ammo separated from the gun. I just want come confirmation here. I trust him, but also know these New Englanders. (I'm from Indiana and lived quite a while in the mid-west and south.
    Ruger P89 (9mm)
    Beretta 9000s (9mm)
    Beretta Tomcat 3230 (.32)
    Sig Sauer Mosquito (.22)

I may be wrong but from what I've seen you can get a CCW non-resident for MA. I heard its 100/year which is kind of steep but if you go there every year it may be worth it. Also from what I hear it takes awhile for it to be processed.
    I would think the timeshare would qualify like a hotel, so one would think you could take them inside and carry them inside w/no problem.
    Maybe a MA person could clarify.........
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Actually, I have no desire to carry in MA, especially for that cost. I remember my gun safety instructor, who lives in MA, telling me it cost a lot.

Yeah, I figure that just carrying into the room is all I want to do.

thanks for the reply,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I may be wrong but from what I've seen you can get a CCW non-resident for MA. I heard its 100/year which is kind of steep but if you go there every year it may be worth it. Also from what I hear it takes awhile for it to be processed.
    I would think the timeshare would qualify like a hotel, so one would think you could take them inside and carry them inside w/no problem.
    Maybe a MA person could clarify.........
    Ruger P89 (9mm)
    Beretta 9000s (9mm)
    Beretta Tomcat 3230 (.32)
    Sig Sauer Mosquito (.22)

Good for 4 years.

It has always been my understanding from here in Vermont when ever I leave the pistol range I belong to if I make a right I'm safe by still being in Vermont if I make a left out of the ranges driveway for about 100 feet I'm in MA and without a class A or B I risk the mighty rath of MA. (To be safe I would call the MA State police to clarify the below)

(According MA Law Enforcement)
    How do I transport a gun in my vehicle?
    A: A person with a Class "A" LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.

A person with a Class "B" LTC must transport handguns unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Check with these folks.....

Gun Owners

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    You aren't going to like the answer!

You can NOT legally have a gun in MA while you are at a time-share (or anywhere else but a match) UNLESS you possess a MA LTC (exception for LEOs precedes LEOSA/HR218).

"Transporting" thru MA with no delays in MA is fine under FOPA w/o a NR LTC, but staying in MA w/o the LTC is a felony.

Mere possession of a firearm in the home in MA requires a LTC (for handguns/FID for some long guns but that is only for Residents).

Obtaining a MA NR LTC is not difficult, but it can take months to get, cost $100 and is only good for one year.

Feel free to check out my answer with GOAL at 508-393-5333. Tell Nancy that I sent you.

What if I live in Indiana. Bought my pistol in Indiana. And am moving back to MA. Where can I read up on the laws regarding a situation like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    What if I live in Indiana. Bought my pistol in Indiana. And am moving back to MA. Where can I read up on the laws regarding a situation like that.
    First I'd give some serious thought to NOT moving to MA. NH is nice and depending on where you work, might be a doable commute.

Go to NortheastShooters.com forum and search the MA Gun Laws section for good info on what you'll face. If you move to the wrong city/town, you may have to give up your guns . . . in a "green town" (issue permits-they are TOTALLY Discretionary in MA) you may be OK.

Legally all pistols are OK when you move in (although the City of Boston has it's own restrictions). Mags are another story . . . none >10 rds unless the mag is pre-9/13/1994 or you are LEO (this goes for residents, visitors, competitors in matches, etc.).

Gvhorwitz, Len S is right on the money in post #7.

Fenway, I recommend that you purchase "Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law" for a good understanding of MA law, regulations, and case law as it relates to firearm ownership and use. It's a training manual available from the Municipal Police Institute, Inc. Its published every year, in April I believe, and I think it's about $50. In the meantime, check GOAL for a brief discussion of the laws of MA and drop by Northeastshooters.com New England's Premier Shooting Forum for any and all questions relating to MA.

If you plan on living anywhere near Boston, the only place that is shall issue is Arlington. Stay away from darn near every other suburb around Boston and as far out as Brockton, Fall River, and Worcester.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Interesting thread. In Mass, as someone previously stated, You can transport a firearm without a LTC if you are going to a competition or target practice. The gun needs to be secured ( trigger lock required in MA) out of reach of the driver ( back seat, trunk) and the ammo must be in a different part of the vehicle. I live in NH and have a good friend who I shoot with who lives in MA. I asked 5 different LEO's ( state and local) and got 5 different answers. I am currently appealing a LTC denial for NR in MA. My application was denied on the basis of a bounced check for 124.00 in 1998. The denial letter stated that "while there are no disqualifying convictions in your record it raises issues as to your suitability to posess a firearm in Comm of MA". I say this only to warn any one planning to apply for a non res LTC for MA, make sure you cross your t's and dot your i's. Mass is a very tough state to have and to carry. If you do plan to transport through Ma print out a copy of the transport laws as most of the LEO's have no clue as to what is legal and what isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post
    Interesting thread. In Mass, as someone previously stated, You can transport a firearm without a LTC if you are going to a competition or target practice. The gun needs to be secured ( trigger lock required in MA) out of reach of the driver ( back seat, trunk) and the ammo must be in a different part of the vehicle. I live in NH and have a good friend who I shoot with who lives in MA. I asked 5 different LEO's ( state and local) and got 5 different answers. I am currently appealing a LTC denial for NR in MA. My application was denied on the basis of a bounced check for 124.00 in 1998. The denial letter stated that "while there are no disqualifying convictions in your record it raises issues as to your suitability to posess a firearm in Comm of MA". I say this only to warn any one planning to apply for a non res LTC for MA, make sure you cross your t's and dot your i's. Mass is a very tough state to have and to carry. If you do plan to transport through Ma print out a copy of the transport laws as most of the LEO's have no clue as to what is legal and what isn't.
    Some errors here.

Target practice is NOT covered in MGL as an exemption to needing a NR LTC. Events like yesterday's shoot issued "competition" fliers/invitations to cover the exemption. But just coming into MA to shoot with some buddies won't fly if you get caught.

Trigger locks only count for "storage", NOT for "transport". Looked (unloaded) in case or in trunk are the only acceptable means of transport. This is also true for FOPA.

Back seat is generally a no-no. See above.

"Suitability" is NOT a criteria for denial of NR LTCs, only for Resident LTCs. I heard about this (peripherally) yesterday. Since I was talking with the Executive Director of GOAL and a firearms attorney, I don't recall which one told me about the CHSB "denial on suitability" that happened. No other details were told to me, but we all agree that it is BS and I can guess where it came from (w/in MA Gov't).

Good luck in your battle.

I was under the impression that target practice was acceptable. Thanks for the correction. As far as secured, I definately should elaborate. My understanding is that a trigger lock is required for storage and transport but is not a substitute for a case, just that the trigger must be locked even inside the case. As far as suitability, the young lady in the Firearms support unit in Chelsea MA informed me that MA has the loophole of suitability and that decision is made solely by the executive director, Curtis Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post
    I was under the impression that target practice was acceptable. Thanks for the correction. As far as secured, I definately should elaborate. My understanding is that a trigger lock is required for storage and transport but is not a substitute for a case, just that the trigger must be locked even inside the case. As far as suitability, the young lady in the Firearms support unit in Chelsea MA informed me that MA has the loophole of suitability and that decision is made solely by the executive director, Curtis Wood.
    No need for trigger lock inside a case. "Transport" law (different from "storage" law) only requires (and accepts) a locked case or trunk, outside the reach/control of the driver and passengers.

Great! NOT!! I guess they hired the new executive director and he's creating new "law".

I was specifically told that "suitability" discretion does not exist in the MGL (Ch. 140 S. 131F) for NR permits . . . that it only exists in the MGL for residents (and is wielded by the local chiefs). The source was either the Exec Dir of GOAL or the firearms attorney.

well that info is going to be useful in my appeal. Thankfully I will be seeing a judge who is obligated to follow the law so with luck he/she will see through this BS and grant me the permit. Unfortunately the appeal is going to cost me another 195.00 just to get on the docket. Personally I believe that the Commonwealth is trolling for some extra cash. I am going to research that MGL. Thanks again for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links