Cape Hatteras National Seashore: Firearms restricted?

This is a discussion on Cape Hatteras National Seashore: Firearms restricted? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Planning to visit the Outer Banks in a few weeks...looks like at least part of the highway passes through a "national seashore." A quick visit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape Hatteras National Seashore: Firearms restricted?

Cape Hatteras National Seashore: Firearms restricted?

Planning to visit the Outer Banks in a few weeks...looks like at least part of the highway passes through a "national seashore." A quick visit to nps.gov shows no firearms restrictions for Cape Hatteras. Strangely enough, Padre Island (another national seashore) explicitly addresses firearms (which, in another strange twist, states that the firearm only needs to be "temporarily disabled" rather than cased and out of reach).

So, anyone know what the definitive answer is? Did I miss something obvious here?

2. Remove Ads

Don't know....

To me, "temporarily disabled" means it is not within my reach...ergo, it cannot fire, thus, disabled.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Err... I'm about to embark on a trip to Port Aransas. Can you expound on what you know about Padre? Never been there, but it looks like I may be on thin ice here.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Err... I'm about to embark on a trip to Port Aransas. Can you expound on what you know about Padre? Never been there, but it looks like I may be on thin ice here.
    I only know as much as what's in this link:

Padre Island National Seashore - Things To Know Before You Come (U.S. National Park Service)

I still think the "temporarily inoperable" part is rather strange. I consider my handguns "temporarily inoperable" when they aren't in my hands.

(I misquoted this earlier as "temporarily disabled"...sorry about that!)

I go to the Padre Island National Sea Shore quite often, and have asked them about their policy on firearms. It was explained to me that they were allowed but could not be loaded.

Well after reading the regulations I think that I may have been misinformed, I always unload my gun but it seems I would have to put it in my mini gun vault to not be in violatation of the law. Glad I saw this thread.

Distinguished Member
    I just got back form Hatteras today , I don't think you can carry in the Pea Island National Park , if you plan on fishing there. It runs from
    just south of Oregon Inlet to Rodanthe , the first town on Hatteras.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I just got back form Hatteras today , I don't think you can carry in the Pea Island National Park , if you plan on fishing there. It runs from
    just south of Oregon Inlet to Rodanthe , the first town on Hatteras.
    Completely missed that one, so focused on the other! Thanks for pointing this out. So just by driving south on the highway, I will transition from a non-criminal to a criminal unless I stop to secure my weapon, at which point I'll be a non-criminal again as I continue my journey. What a farce.

Hope you submitted comments when you had the chance. Things will likely be different in a year or so.

It sounds like you all are talking about National Parks.

So far, the law has not changed. Carry or access is still illegal.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post

My original question was: Is a "national seashore" the same as a "national park"? And why does one national seashore (Padre Is.) explicitly prohibited concealed carry on their site, when another (Cape Hatteras) doesn't?

VIP Member
    I cannot find the exact wording either; however, another nearby
    refuge reguires cased and unloaded guns and they are refering to auth hunting guns.
    If it was me I'd go cased and unloaded out of reach.
    <
    <
    The thought that someone put forth that a gun out of reach is disabled will not fly.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by brianko View Post
    My original question was: Is a "national seashore" the same as a "national park"? And why does one national seashore (Padre Is.) explicitly prohibited concealed carry on their site, when another (Cape Hatteras) doesn't?
    National Seashores and National Parks are both administered (managed) by the Dep't of the Interior thru the National Park Service, a subordinate agency.

In theory, the rules and regulations should be the same for both, since both are managed by the same agency.

It may be that whoever designed the Cape Hatteras web site simply forgot to include any firearms rules.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I was just down there 2 weeks ago. I was just north of Hatteras in Avon. Before I left I used the handgunlaws.us site for info on NC:

North Carolina Must Notify Officer: Yes
    Wildlife Management Areas NO
    State/National Forests NO
    State Parks Road Side Rests NO
    15A NCAC 12B .0901 YES §14269.4
    Stun/Chemical Weapons Restrictions
    · Schools, public or private, all levels including universities. This also applies to all property
    owned by any school. §14269.2
    · Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14269.3
    · Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14269.3
    · State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on
    the grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court
    of Justice. §14269.4
    · State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14415.11(
    c)
    · Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities. §14415.11(
    c)
    · Financial Institutions. §14415.11(
    c)
    · Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with,
    or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon
    any private health care
    facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political
    subdivisions to
    willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. §14277.2
    · Areas of emergencies or riots. §14288.7
    · Where notice of carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous
    notice or statement.
    §14415.11(
    c)

Even though its likely that the National Seashore designation is the same as a National Park, I believe you cannot carry firearms on any beach anywhere down there. Several public beach access points I saw in Avon had No Firearms signs. Some others (like on the bay side) were not posted. I believe you can carry everywhere else save the other locations laid out above. I have to admit though, 90% of the time I was there, I did not carry as I was either on the beach or in the pool at our rental house, and usually partaking in a few alcoholic beverages. There isn't a whole lot to do as far as going out or shopping, so I didn't have the need to carry much, just a few trips to the grocery store.

Be safe on your trip and if this is a family vacation make sure to try to relax. The OBX are so laid back its hard not to, but it does take me a day or two to kind of slow down and let go, so don't fight it

Thanks for all the input...this is the info I needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links