My Pastor Needs a new Sheepdog!

This is a discussion on My Pastor Needs a new Sheepdog! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My CC friendly/Dependant Pastor has moved to Moore, Ok. He is discreetly searching for a new Sheepdog in his Church. I was his Sheepdog here, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Pastor Needs a new Sheepdog!

My Pastor Needs a new Sheepdog!

My CC friendly/Dependant Pastor has moved to Moore, Ok. He is discreetly searching for a new Sheepdog in his Church. I was his Sheepdog here, he became very comfortable and Dependant on my abilities to protect he, and his flock, what a refreshing change. He was totally unaware of the concept of CC until we became fishing buddies. His dad died when he was 3 years old and he never really had a manly influence in his life. We learned much from each other, he taught me how to save my soul, I taught him how to save his life. He knows what to watch for and thinks he has spotted a carrier, but, he has been taught to be very delicate in approaching the subject with his guess. PM or e-mail me if you are a CC in or around Moore, Oklahoma, and attend Fresh Start Church Of God. My e-mail is
    acts1013@bellsouth.net My EX-Spiritual Leader needs reassurance from his new sheepdog. I can assure you, from experience, he is confidential. He, his wife, and my wife were the only folks that knew I carried in Church.
    Danny

2. Remove Ads

The pastor needs to get his own Oklahoma Concealed Weapon License and take personal responsibility for his safety.

Oklahoma County and Tulsa County have the highest numbers of CWL holders in the State. Finding several, even at a small church should be no problem.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    why doesn't he just tell the congregation CCW's are welcome.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I agree, he needs his own permit. I am not going the extra mile to protect anyone else - my family comes first - and if I can remove myself & family from harms way - then out the door I go. I am not going to rescue the entire congregtion. He (the pastor) needs to rescue himself - just like he cannot save your soul.

As I read it, Cajun is not looking for suggestions on what should be done, but candidates for the sheepdog position at the new church.

Way to go, Cajun, you accomplished a great deal in a discreet fashion--looks to me like a well-founded security plan for a small parish.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    I agree, he needs his own permit. I am not going the extra mile to protect anyone else - my family comes first - and if I can remove myself & family from harms way - then out the door I go. I am not going to rescue the entire congregtion. He (the pastor) needs to rescue himself - just like he cannot save your soul.
    Great Idea but in a church setting usually the best way to protect yourself and your family is to remove the threat since there is usually only 1 way in and 1 way out unless you consider the bottleneck going into the rectory a great place to escape backed up in a huge rush away from the gunman and getting shot in the back,Just my .02
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You can find some SheepDogs here.
    AmericanSheepdog Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Speaking as a pastor, I think (1) he needs to take personal responsibility, and (2) if I announced that ccw's were welcome, I'd clear out the church, because churches are populated by many more sheep than sheepdogs (or shepherds).
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

why doesn't he just tell the congregation CCW's are welcome
    Reason #1 Louisiana Law prohibits CCW in Church. He knows that much now, I do not know Oklahoma Law.
    Reason #2
    if I announced that ccw's were welcome, I'd clear out the church, because churches are populated by many more sheep than sheepdogs
    YEP
    He is not looking for you to save his life, he simply feels a bit safer with a CC in the house. As I stated above, it took quite a while for me to get him comfortable with the CC idea, he was raised as a sissie, without a man in the house. He has never fired a pistol, rifle, shotgun, or anything else. His dad died in a coal mining accident, his mother overcompensated by not allowing him to do ANYTHING, no hunting, no fishing, no roughhousing, nothing.

I work the sound booth, I am the first line as anyone entered our Church. I was one of two folks with a clear view of the entrance, the other was the Pastor. Thank You for your interest and time.
    Danny

Cajun,

Have the Pastor check out H&H Gun Range in OKC they are right off of I-240and Meridian.....not far from Moore. The guys at H&H can take him all the way from "never shot agun" to advance CCW with weapons retention and night firing training. The Oklahoma S.D.A. class is only $60.00 at H&H.

OK......?

......I'd bet that there are plenty in the congregation already.

I think as he gets to know the men in his new congregation he could ask a few discreet but direct questions to find his new sheepdog. I don't know the % in OK with CCW, but if you assume 2-3%, there should be at least a couple in the church.

He knows the correct terminology to drop to let a CC'er know that he is aware. I just thought I might make it a bit easier for him, since he has moved 600 miles away, and I still have a propensity to want to protect him. He is kinda special to me, he led me to the Lord. I didn't intend to stir up any ill feelings, some folks are simply not inclined to carry and I respect that, it makes him no less a human. If you attend Fresh Start Community Church in Moore OK, just know your Pastor is CC friendly and would love to meet you.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    I still have a propensity to want to protect him.

D
    Quite admirable. IMHO, pray for God's protection over him and his family and trust that God will do so. Pray for God's leading in his new congregation and for God to find the right folks to fill the roles that need filling. Trust God to do so. I know sometimes we want to build/guide/direct, but IMHO, man made isn't as good as God made...

That's too bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Speaking as a pastor, I think (1) he needs to take personal responsibility, and (2) if I announced that ccw's were welcome, I'd clear out the church, because churches are populated by many more sheep than sheepdogs (or shepherds).
    At our church, I arranged a CCL class for anyone who wanted to attend. I put it in the church bulletin and we had 11 takers including both the senior pastor and the associate pastor. Since then, we have had several other people express an interest in attending if we have another one.

This is in a congregation with a Sunday attendance of 100-120 each week in a relatively urban area of about 50,000.

Nobody left the church, protested, or even said, "boo".

I interact with many churches across the northern part of our state and I honestly, I don't consider our church to be that unique with respect to 2nd ammendment views. In fact, one of the denominational leaders for our district (55 churches) has a CCL.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
    but because he loves what is behind him."

- G.K. Chesterton [ 1874 - 1936 ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links