Pack on at the Kansas City Zoo

This is a discussion on Pack on at the Kansas City Zoo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I entered the K.C. Zoo today, I was looking for any signage and found some at the bottom of a sign off to the ...

Thread: Pack on at the Kansas City Zoo

As I entered the K.C. Zoo today, I was looking for any signage and found some at the bottom of a sign off to the left side of the entrance.

NO CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMITTED
    (pursuant to city of Kansas City, MO resolution #040267)

I ignored it and packed on with confidence in the preemption statute in Missouri.

When I left, I googled that resolution. What a belly laugh that gave me. Itís a non-criminal, non-binding resolution of sour grapes about the CCW statute passed in Missouri. It reads:

RESOLUTION NO. 040267
    Encouraging private property owners to exercise their rights to exclude concealed weapons from their businesses or other places open to the public.

WHEREAS, The State of Missouri adopted House Bill Nos. 349, 120, 136 and 328 over the veto of the Governor; and

WHEREAS, the Missouri Supreme Court has found the statute generally constitutional; and

WHEREAS, the owners of private property are granted the authority to exclude the carrying of concealed weapons on their premises, by posting their property with signs at least 11 inches by 14 inches with at least one inch letters prohibiting concealed weapons; and

WHEREAS, when placed before the voters of the state, urban areas including Kansas City, rejected a concealed carry law;

WHEREAS, the City Council has elected to post its buildings to preclude the presence of concealed weapons in City buildings; NOW, THEREFORE

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF KANSAS CITY:

Section 1. That the Council of Kansas City encourages all private property owners whose property is open to the public to exercise their statutory right to exclude concealed weapons from their property by posting required signs of at least 11 inches by 14 inches with at least one inch letters prohibiting concealed weapons.

What a bunch of funny sour grapes. If discovered, I could have been asked to leave, which is the same as it would be anywhere with or without any resolutions.

The kids had a great time with Grandpa and Nanna at the zoo. My brother was there too with his wife and new baby. A good time was had by all and my Kimber road along quite happily in my usual Galco Quick Slide.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    What a joke! They could have saved a lot of text and posted "licensed carry of concealed weapons is legal, but we don't like it". Is the KC Zoo private property?

I like the way the law is written in Missouri. It lists many places that are off-limits, then says if one does carry concealed in any of those places, it is not a violation of the law.

Clearly stated, clearly written, clearly carried.

I'm not sure if the zoo is private or public. My suspicion, given their obviously thick wallets is that they are publicly supported, if not publicly owned.

Sponsored Links