WA State: Inform officer of carry?

This is a discussion on WA State: Inform officer of carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am digging through RCW's and cant find what i need yet. I remember (that's reliable ) from getting my permit that you did not ...

Thread: WA State: Inform officer of carry?

WA State: Inform officer of carry?

I am digging through RCW's and cant find what i need yet. I remember (that's reliable) from getting my permit that you did not infact have to inform the officer of your ccw or the weapon unless asked.

In a casual conversation with a few officers, one said i did, one said i did not.

the only thing i can find in the RCW is:

RCW 9.41.050
    Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

It just says when and if required to do so? Where can i find this info? Does anyone know, or can they point me in the right direction? thanks.

Off i go to dig trough RCW's
    Springfield XD40 Service

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Voluntary notification not required, you must do so only if asked by LEO. From Handgunlaw.us , click "US off limits N-W", etc.

You don't have to, but the last thing I want is for the LEO to see a portion of the barrel or butt sticking out under my shirt or printing through my shirt while reaching over to get registration out of the glove box or while I'm getting my DL out of my wallet and getting real nervous, stressed and possibly panic. Traffic stops are considered one of the most dangerous situations a LEO does routinely and I don't want to add to it by surprising him with a weapon.
    I haven't been stopped yet since I got my permit, but if and when I am, I will put my hands out the window as he approaches and tell him that I have a permit and where and what I'm carrying. After that, it is up to him how he wants to handle it.
    Most LEO's don't have a problem with honest, law biding people exercising their constitutional rights. There are a few LEO's and jurisdictions that go out of their way to harass CC permit holders, that is just the price you pay.

In Texas you are required to notify and if i'm traveling thru reciprocating states and get pulled over instead of trying to remember if i have to or not I'm notifying,they can't get you in trouble for notifying wnen you don't have to but if you don't and your suppose to Barney might make things difficult
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    You are not required to inform the officer up front, you do need to hand the permit over if asked.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have not been stopped yet either. I was just contemplating what to do.

A) Keep my mouth shut until asked.
    B) Just hand him my Drivers Licence and CCW permit. right up front
    Springfield XD40 Service

I would inform the officer, regardless. It makes for good relations with the LEO and puts you in the right if anything goes awry.

My state, SC, requires informing the LEO.

What they said. LOL. Where in WA state are you from RDSA?
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I am in SE washington, what about yourself?
    Springfield XD40 Service

Quote Originally Posted by JDSA View Post
    I am in SE washington, what about yourself?
    I am in Olympia.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

You are not required to inform the LEO unless asked.

I got pulled over for out of state plates (just moved up from CA) and gave him paper work on vehicle and DL. He didn't ask about weapons so I didn't mention the .45 on my hip...no probs.

VIP Member
    My state has no duty to inform but that's a moot point because as soon as your license plate is run here, the officer knows.

Though not required or necessary, my plan, if stopped, is to hand both my driver's license and my permit to the officer. I personally think it's just common courtesy.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

In WA as of last year it is my understanding that your drivers license CAN BE linked to your concealed carry permit but usually will not be unless the officer asks for it.

If stopped I intend to provide the carry permit immediately under my drivers and just above my insurance. No fuss no confusion.

Was briefly stopped last week in Port Angeles for a brief chat but no DL check...had the stuff ready. Officer just wanted to thank me for extensive community volunteer work.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

I would not suggest anyone follow my example but if the officer is professional civil and respectful than I am civil and polite. I inform him out of respect. If he is a rude authoritarian bully or otherwise provokes my recalcitrant side I am especially polite civil respectful and fully cooperative as required by law.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

When we went through CCW school we were taught to always, regardless of if they ask, say this immediately when speaking with the officer:
    "Hello Officer. For your protection I'd like to inform you that I am carrying a licensed, concealed firearm in my ________."

They'll supposedly tell you what to do after that, if anything different at all.
    Usually it's not a big deal, they just like to know ahead of time vs finding it accidentally and blowing your head off.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Links