Defensive Carry banner

Subconscious Compensation - Sidebar

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  jmiked 
#1 ·
The subconscious compensation thread is great - super topic, and excellent (very educational) responses. It got me to wondering about folks who may have read it and thought, "Hmm. Maybe my hide-out or mousegun with its 5 or 6 rounds is not enough! But, I don't know how to use a knife, stylus, etc." It got me to wondering about good comprehensive training. There are lots of great (and not-so-great) trainers out there. Have any of you experience with an immersion-type course that someone who has little time can attend over the course of several days to a week that builds on one's basic skills with a handgun and, for lack of a better description, sorta rounds him or her out - meaning gives him or her a basic understanding and ability to implement other defensive measures such as weaponless and tools-at-hand defensive measures either separate from or in conjunction with a handgun? Would love to read reviews.

Best,
Jon

#2 ·
I tok several years of martial arts traing and attended a polica academy. There are many diffrent hand to hand courses out there. I think ground fighting might be the next I will look into. I think getting physical and training to actually react is the most important aspect , rather than what style or course to take. If you haven't trained to react to an assault you may freeze up, atleast for a few precious seconds.

#3 ·
I wish I was not as old! :smile:

I have to rely on old man's treachery and what fighting skills I did learn way (way) back. I am told I am in pretty good physical shape - but appearances are deceptive and I know my stamina is very poor - I have to depend on what I always called ''explosive'' methods - extreme output for a short spell and if that don't cut it then I am probably dog meat!.

Funny tho, recently, wife said (not for first time) that my step son's friends find me very intimidating LOL! Ok I am 6'.00" and 210 (yeah and I always am packing, open or concealed about home) but do not see myself as all that intimidating - tho if it is enough to not be wearing a victim label then maybe it'll stand me in good stead, along with maintained/sustained yellow.

#4 ·
P95Carry said:
I... my step son's friends find me very intimidating LOL! Ok I am 6'.00" and 210 ...
Count your blessings, P95. I definitely have a yeti somewhere on an upper branch - 6'5" and 270. Clothes and cars that fit are hard to come by off the rack. Sometimes, it's funny, though - I went to Japan with my dad about ten years ago. There, it's not polite to stare. While walking along the street, I'd quickly turn around from time to time just for fun, and I almost always caught someone staring at me with his mouth open! lol!

Best,
Jon

#5 ·
Maybe yes Jon - I will count my blessings!! In fact I do that most days for a great many reasons.

I daresay you must have quite a problem getting suitable - anything - when it comes to fit. I mean geez, on the odd occasion I am in wife's car instead of my truck - I struggle getting in and out - quite how you'd do it I am not sure!

I guess tho your size does convey a certain ''presence'' if it come to any ''awkward'' situations LOL :wink: #270 with your height - sounds to me like you are pretty much ''lean and mean" :smile:

#6 ·
P95Carry said:
Maybe yes Jon - I will count my blessings!! In fact I do that most days for a great many reasons.

I daresay you must have quite a problem getting suitable - anything - when it comes to fit. I mean geez, on the odd occasion I am in wife's car instead of my truck - I struggle getting in and out - quite how you'd do it I am not sure!

I guess tho your size does convey a certain ''presence'' if it come to any ''awkward'' situations LOL :wink: #270 with your height - sounds to me like you are pretty much ''lean and mean" :smile:
Gettin' suitable was quite an expensive deal - but now, not so - I don't have to wear 'em anymore. YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm not fat, but I'm not ripped either. I guess we're all in the same boat - back in high school, I could do two Whoppers with Cheese, a Whopper Jr. with cheese (add bacon to both), a large fry, shake, AND a pie, and not gain a pound. Now, at 47, I gain weight driving BY Burger King and just smellin' the smoke. In short, I was just born and remain a living, breathing terrain feature.

As far as size goes, actually, I actually see it as a liability in the defensive context - if some little-guy thug attacks me and I have to defend myself, how's it gonna look in court? I start out with one leg in the legal grave, if you know what I mean. I have a ridiculously long fuse - heck, it hasn't gone off in twenty years. I find that I take pains probably more than even the average guy here to avoid, and if caught up in to exit rapidly, potential problem situations.

Call me a wimp if you like, but hey - I'll be alive and at home instead of jail the day after! :wink:

Best,
Jon

#8 ·
Bud White said:
Luckly size has disuaded a few problems for me i think .. Ive scared a few people with the grizzly adams look and typically get left alone
Yea, size helps me. Also, I'm sure I get a good bit of deterrent benefit from the facts that I actively shun any sort of deoderant, soap or toothpaste and walk around 24/7 dressed in nothing but black nomex, including gloves.

... not .... lol!

Best,
Jon

#10 ·
I find that I take pains probably more than even the average guy here to avoid, and if caught up in to exit rapidly, potential problem situations.
That Jon is the route we all need to take - big or small. I too have a very long fuze but woe betide anyone who pushes beyond that - fortunately that takes quite some doing!

#11 ·
P95Carry said:
That Jon is the route we all need to take - big or small. I too have a very long fuze but woe betide anyone who pushes beyond that - fortunately that takes quite some doing!
I suppose that's one of the good things about living long enough to gained perspective - it helps that we middle-agers have the additional "benefits" of lower testosterone levels and a recognition that we are actually not immortal - and that stuff we break hurts for lot longer. :wink:

Best,
Jon

#12 · (Edited)
Bigjon,

I haven't had the Emerson training but I did take the Gunsite Edged Weapons I & II courses from Steve Traini. It was eye opening. It included timed "draw and ready" drills, defensive tactics at near, mid, and long range. Excapes and disarms and enough practicality to emphasize if you're in a knife fight, you're gonna get cut.

Some of the tactics that skilled, trained knife fighters use are so formidable that it's dishearting. Fortunately, most of us will never face such a proficient fighter.

I had some of the very thoughts about knife use you described and that's what prompted me to take the courses.

I also got a knife and baton video from FIST, Inc. It's just unbelieveable what a guy that's good with a knife/baton can do. Maybe get the Fist video and see what you think.

#13 ·
Excellent, Tangle. That's what I was wondering about. I may take that, but it'll be in two years - next year, I'm going to make Long Range Rifle I at Storm Mountain if it KILLS me.

Best,
Jon

#14 ·
I stand just about 6' at around 250. I earned my waist size of 44 with too many years of the proverbial 12oz curl and I'm working on losing it now. Big guys are in a legal grave when it comes to hand to hand (although this gets better as you age if you can call it that) but even worse, we have a tougher time finding cover. Anybody remember the movie TRUE LIES with Governold AHnold? When the sidekick (Tim Arnold?) took cover behind a concrete light pole as the BG's hosed him full auto....he took a moment to check himself out and breathe a HUGE sigh of relief!

#15 ·
My adrenalin ramps up pretty quick when confronted, but like Jon says, I've lived long enough (I'm 58) to have a perspective on things. My Dad taught me talk first (if possible) and react just enough to dissuade someone from bothering you further. Other than that, if my life (or someone else's) is in danger...

#16 ·
Funny reading your size comments. I am 6" 1" (I shrunk and inch four years ago when I flattened three disks and herniated two others in a single lift, I was 6" 2") and am down to 200 even. I have never thought of myself as being big but I have had others comment on my size. I guess it is all relative.

#17 ·
I have had the opportunity to be trained by the military to fight, but at the same time I have come to understand this. You can have all the hand to hand training in the world and still lose the fight. Many people depend on training and forget about the will, desire, courage and just plain ol' I am gonna live mentality. I say have the mind set to survive and yes if possible get the training.

However, it is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. I say if the pistol is empty and you are left with the knife go balistic and remember all the warm things you will miss if you lose, wife, kids, Christmas. Then fight......fight , fight, fight...and regardless keep this mentality even when squeezing off your first to last round.

#18 ·
#19 ·
#20 ·
Tis A Quandry

I am 6' 4" and have fluctuated from 250 (College days) to 175 (right before being diagnosed with boder line diabetes) and these days walk around at 210. But, for years have been told "you are one scary SOB" with no idea why!

Still the smallets thing I will cary is an AMT Off-Duty in .45ACP with 5 in the Mag and 1 up the spout.

Possibly it is because of my Father who always said (Do not ever start a fight but, if the other guy starts it; you damn well better finish it).

The older I get, the smarter my Father sounds! :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.