Texas: 'Where Can You Carry' Guide

This is a discussion on Texas: 'Where Can You Carry' Guide within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a good, quick, cheat sheet for Texas. It also lists the penalty (felony, misdemeanor). TCHA: Civilian Carry...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas: 'Where Can You Carry' Guide

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar

Texas: 'Where Can You Carry' Guide

Here's a good, quick, cheat sheet for Texas. It also lists the penalty (felony, misdemeanor).

TCHA: Civilian Carry

2. Remove Ads

Cool link! Thanks.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

me
    thanks but are 2 questions from my walk tonight...

Is there State Preemption in Texas?
    My City (college station) Park near my house has a sigh stating no firearms or air guns and cites a City Code.

Is this enough to Cover 30.06?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Here's a good, quick, cheat sheet for Texas. It also lists the penalty (felony, misdemeanor).
    Nice...but it's a bit too brief, so be sure to actually hover over the links. For instance, one would need to actually hover over the "school" and "premises" links to figure out that licensed concealed carry in the parking lot of a school is, in fact, legal. But it doesn't mention the fact that it is illegal to carry licensed on the *grounds* where a school activity might be held (the law does not use the word "premise" in this context).

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I don't know exactly what "state" preemption is, but there is no local preemption to state CHL laws (my notes say Section 1.08 of the Penal Code).

My City (college station) Park near my house has a sigh stating no firearms or air guns and cites a City Code.
    The city can't preempt state law. If you're licensed, and it's legal to carry in the park (i.e., no school activities), then you're good to go.

30.06 doesn't apply here.

BTW, IANAL. Make sure to do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by brianko View Post
    Nice...but it's a bit too brief, so be sure to actually hover over the links.
    Exactly. It's just meant to be a quick access list. For specifics, look up the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    thanks but are 2 questions from my walk tonight...

Don't take my word as legal advice, but I believe this is the law that applies to the park. I believe that it in not legal for a local gov't to ban CHL carry on gov't owned property (unless it is specifically prohibited by law, i.e. secure area of airport, jail, school).

Maybe a call to the CHL office can clear this up.
    Concealed Handgun Licensing Section
    Texas Department of Public Safety
    Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
    Helpline: (800) 224-5744

LGC 215.001

FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES

(a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.

(b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:

(1) require residents or public employees to be armed for personal or national defense, law enforcement, or another lawful purpose;

(2) regulate the discharge of firearms within the limits of the municipality;

(3) regulate the use of property, the location of a business, or uses at a business under the municipality's fire code, zoning ordinance, or land-use regulations as long as the code, ordinance, or regulations are not used to circumvent the intent of Subsection (a) or Subdivision (5) of this subsection;

(4) regulate the use of firearms in the case of an insurrection, riot, or natural disaster if the municipality finds the regulations necessary to protect public health and safety;

(5) regulate the storage or transportation of explosives to protect public health and safety, except that 25 pounds or less of black powder for each private residence and 50 pounds or less of black powder for each retail dealer are not subject to regulation; or

(6) regulate the carrying of a firearm by a person other than a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, at a:

(A) public park;

(B) public meeting of a municipality, county, or other governmental body;

(C) political rally, parade, or official political meeting; or

(D) nonfirearms-related school, college, or professional athletic event.

(c) The exception provided by Subsection (b)(6) does not apply if the firearm is in or is carried to or from an area designated for use in a lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting event and the firearm is of the type commonly used in the activity.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

How did I miss this thread, I was just about to post a 30.06 question and tried the search, guess I am getting better.

I had a question for the Texans on this forum, where are all the 30.06 signs?

I have been actively looking to make sure I know where I can and can't carry and outside of my CHL class I have not seen 1 actual 30.06 sign. I have seen many "it is illegal to carry an unlicensed firearm..." signs, but since I am about a week away form having my CHL in hand I don't have to worry about those.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

This might help. I've seen a few at hospital entrances.

Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I've carried in TX for 8 years, and have only seen one legal 30.06 sign (and I can't even remember where that was). Unless it's in English and Spanish, 1" high letters, contrasting background, includes the correct wording, etc. it just doesn't count.

Now that is cool. I was just thinking about trying to set up something like this, on maybe Google Maps or something.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

The only 30.06 signs I have seen have been on hospitals or doctors offices in a hospital owned building.

I guess the easiest way for us in Texas to protect ourselves is to just go back to carrying long guns. How do you think that would go over, if everyone started toting their shotguns around again. After the first week of calls to 911, with man has a gun entering Walmart or the grocery store, mall, ect. the dispatcher would probably just say, are they pointing it at anyone, answer no, well the it is perfectly legal for them to have it.

Anyone want to volunteer to start the movement off.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Anyone want to volunteer to start the movement off.
    I was actually carrying around 3 .410 yesterday, sold 2. I bet it looked real odd when I came out of the house yesterday morning with cell phone, laptop bag and 3 rifles and put them all in to my minivan

you're turn

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    How did I miss this thread, I was just about to post a 30.06 question and tried the search, guess I am getting better.

I have been actively looking to make sure I know where I can and can't carry and outside of my CHL class I have not seen 1 actual 30.06 sign. I have seen many "it is illegal to carry an unlicensed firearm..." signs, but since I am about a week away form having my CHL in hand I don't have to worry about those.
    If you have a Taco Bueno nearby they are all supposedly properly posted with 30.06 signs.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I noticed that on the link that bluelineman posted, Taco Bueno will no longer get my $ .89. What is funny is the one about a mile form my house was not listed, so I will have to check it out and see.

-Paco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links