NRA Action Alert! Florida- Hit this Poll!

This is a discussion on NRA Action Alert! Florida- Hit this Poll! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm so glad Missouri law eliminates this issue for us. We can have a gun in our vehicle in any privately-owned parking lot that is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NRA Action Alert! Florida- Hit this Poll!

I'm so glad Missouri law eliminates this issue for us. We can have a gun in our vehicle in any privately-owned parking lot that is accessible to the general public, regardless of whether the parking lot owner likes it or not.

2. Remove Ads

I voted on the other thread, but I will make note of something here. The law in question also prohibits employers from searching employees vehicles for a weapon. Only LEOs may search and I think probable cause is still needed for them to do so. I doubt violating company policy qualifies as probable cause.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    You have no Second Amendment rights on private property. The Second Amendment protects against the government infringing upon your rights. That is the fact which people have a hard time accepting.

Your vehicles are your property and do remain your property. However by bringing an item onto company property in your vehicle you are violating their policy and are subject to being dismissed.

I think that is fine as long as that private property is kept private and no public is allowed on it. Once it becomes open to public trespass, second amendment rules apply.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Voted

Yes 9498 94%
    No 603 6%
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I think that is fine as long as that private property is kept private and no public is allowed on it. Once it becomes open to public trespass, second amendment rules apply.
    No it doesn't. The Second Amendment guards against government infringement, not private party infringement. No constitutional right is protected from a private party infringing upon it. None.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    And all those billions of dollars that corporations spend afraid that they may get sued for violations of Civil Rights turned out to be wrong.... darn. That might means they can downsize their Human resources departments.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Voted

Choice Votes Percentage of 10131 Votes
    Yes 9528 94%
    No 603 6%
    Thank you for voicing your opinion in our online poll. VOTE IN MORE POLLS

Choice Votes Percentage of 10149 Votes
    Yes 9546 94%
    No 603 6%
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Choice Votes Percentage of 10162 Votes
    Yes 9559 94%
    No 603 6%
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Tubby, it really depends on the applicable state laws. In Florida, as of 1 July, 2008, any concealed carry license holder can have a firearm in his car in almost any circumstance. There are some exceptions, as spelled out in the statute. In fact, if you are a visitor to Disney World, you may have your firearm locked in your car in their parking lot. The problem arises when you are an employee and may not enter the employees parking lot with a firearm in your vehicle according to their policy.
    Disney management is promoting a double standard in this regard. In essence they are saying that their employees do not share the same rights as the visitors and other Florida residents.
    Actually, Florida law says that any person may have a loaded firearm in his vehicle as long as it is in an out of sight snapped holster OR in the glove box, OR in a closed container. CCL holders have more leeway.
    So when you come to visit us here in the Gunshine State, take your gun out of the trunk, load it up, and drop it in the center console. Have a great day.
    Life is too short to be serious!

The state is violating the rights of private property owners by passing that law.

If I ever wander to Florida, I'll be leaving my gun on my hip as I always do, where allowed by law and complying with private property owners' rights.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    The state is violating the rights of private property owners by passing that law.

If I ever wander to Florida, I'll be leaving my gun on my hip as I always do, where allowed by law and complying with private property owners' rights.
    If you are planning to come to Florida one day and staying at any of the many many hotels I need to ask you what are you going to do with your gun. AFAIK there is not one hotel chain that allows firearms in its property be associate or guest. You cannot take it in the room because you would be disrespecting property rights and same for leaving it in the car if you park at the hotel's property. You may want to leave your car parked in the street but that might be irresponsible if some critter breaks in and steals the gun (or the whole car) or you can ask around other places of business about their weapons policy and see if they have a "Guns Welcome" policy.

The simple truth is that if you have a business open to the public, you are bound by the law to operate no matter what policies you choose to implement. You can have a bar and say "Hey, I want to sell alcohol to minors if I want to. It is my business and I can do whatever I want." or you can post a sign saying "No (choose your minority) allowed!" but what that will get you is a local or federal prosecutor ridding your back plus 6 figures to a lawyer to defend you in a case that you will lose.

The Innkeeper Statutes in Florida are heavy on the side of business owners. I can evict anybody from my hotel with the nodding of a manager without having to show cause. And if the guest gets argumentative, I call the local PD and they will come to evict you by force if necessary. But God Forbid the guest can prove I evicted him because he was a minority or I did it for the hell of it, the Hotel will get a lawsuit in the millions and I would be out of the job and in jail. I know, I had that trouble with a gay guest who had a domestic with his partner (including a fistfight in the lobby) and after three warnings I had to evict him. He accused me to Corporate of not only discriminating him because he was gay, he tried to pass his injuries as done by me instead of the result of the fight with his partner. By the time Corporate started his investigation I had all paperwork, witness statements & video ready for presentation and a good thing to 'cause even the regional manager got in the case. Legal was happy and told me that the report I made was sufficient and compelling to demonstrate I was in the right but anything else and the hotel would end up being sued in civil court & federally investigated and that it would probably lose.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Vote cast, hope there is no hanging chad on this one:

Yes 9951 94%
    No 617 6%
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I'm all about the rights of property owners.........

But, it seems to me, that when the employer invites the employee to bring that automobile onto their property (as they do by providing parking) that they should respect the rights of those property owners with respect to their property. FWIW.....when discussing the nature of an automobile as private property, we're not talking about something like a lunchbox here. The state affords an automobile the exact same status as your house when it comes to your right to self-defense under our Castle Doctrine.

Assuming the weapon stays in the car and is concealed such that no one else would know that it's there, then telling someone that they can't keep it there, is akin to telling them that as a condition of employment they're not allowed to keep guns in their home for self protection either...........in my ever so humble opinion.

Voted and I think the YES's are going to win out.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links