NRA Action Alert! Florida- Hit this Poll! - Page 4

NRA Action Alert! Florida- Hit this Poll!

This is a discussion on NRA Action Alert! Florida- Hit this Poll! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tubby45 I never said your vehicle wasn't your property. Don't put words in my mouth. I apologize for giving offense; it was ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I never said your vehicle wasn't your property. Don't put words in my mouth.
    I apologize for giving offense; it was unintended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The state is violating the rights of private property owners by passing that law.
    That is your opinion and I respect it. I see this law as identifying a specific limit on a property owner's rights. I am not familiar with what rights Florida law states that property owners have, but surely there are other limits. I doubt if Florida law states that the property owner's rights are absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Then simply don't read the thread.....
    What are you..., in 3rd grade or something?

jp

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    If you are planning to come to Florida one day and staying at any of the many many hotels I need to ask you what are you going to do with your gun. AFAIK there is not one hotel chain that allows firearms in its property be associate or guest. You cannot take it in the room because you would be disrespecting property rights and same for leaving it in the car if you park at the hotel's property. You may want to leave your car parked in the street but that might be irresponsible if some critter breaks in and steals the gun (or the whole car) or you can ask around other places of business about their weapons policy and see if they have a "Guns Welcome" policy.
    There are other places in FL besides hotels. I don't stay in hotels, they cost too much money.

The simple truth is that if you have a business open to the public, you are bound by the law to operate no matter what policies you choose to implement.
    I understand that however my point is that the law FORCING property owners to allow firearms on their property is violating their property rights and should not be allowed. What FL is doing is taking control over business rights when they have no legal grounds nor authority to do so. It is seen as a victory for gun owners but in my eyes it's a slippery slope at the loss of property owners' rights. I allow firearms on my property by choice, if Michigan FORCED me to allow it, they are violating my property rights. The state nor any government cannot dictate what items I allow on my property. That is my choice to decide, not theirs. They are overstepping their powers. It's time to tighten the leash on the government, not loosen it.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    The state affords an automobile the exact same status as your house when it comes to your right to self-defense under our Castle Doctrine.
    Exactly: "your right to self defense", not your right to possess weapons. We have the same "vehicle is an extension of your home" clause in our Castle Doctrine/Self Defense Right package. That extension applies to self defense, not general blanket rights.

Assuming the weapon stays in the car and is concealed such that no one else would know that it's there, then telling someone that they can't keep it there, is akin to telling them that as a condition of employment they're not allowed to keep guns in their home for self protection either...........in my ever so humble opinion.
    Not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I apologize for giving offense; it was unintended.

That is your opinion and I respect it. I see this law as identifying a specific limit on a property owner's rights. I am not familiar with what rights Florida law states that property owners have, but surely there are other limits. I doubt if Florida law states that the property owner's rights are absolute.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    I understand that however my point is that the law FORCING property owners to allow firearms on their property is violating their property rights and should not be allowed.
    OK time to reverse this. What state or county in the US does not "force" you to do anything at all in your business property?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I say that until a private business owner can GUARANTEE that no criminal will bring a gun onto his property, which might threaten MYSELF, he has no right to prevent MYSELF from bringing mine.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Right now in the poll:

94% for
    6% against

Glad to vote for this one.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links