Carry - and heavy clothing

This is a discussion on Carry - and heavy clothing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am somewhat ''up North'' but compared to some - not too extreme for weather even if we do get more snow than I like. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry - and heavy clothing

Assistant Administrator

Carry - and heavy clothing

I am somewhat ''up North'' but compared to some - not too extreme for weather even if we do get more snow than I like. Snow is one thing - 50º below is another, which I believe some can get in ND, MN, MT etc.

Thinking tho of temp's - (you AZ, TX and FL members - relax!) - there is a need sometimes to really ''wrap up'' tho even when very cold here, I rarely have more than a padded shirt unless things are real bad!

The effect on a draw tho is what I am considering here - and maybe if several layers of clothing needed - do you switch to pocket carry if pocket big enough? I think I would. What this means is - I dress to carry - which includes considerations on access and draw.

A real thick long coat as I see it, is gonna be a real drag when it comes to access. So just interested in what ""Northern'' folks do about this.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    I think the cold has less effect on the draw as it does on the trigger finger. Muscles don't seem to move as fast when cold. Gloves hamper access also.

I carry OWB strong side in winter because coat covers the gun. As already said layers aren't such a deal just take a little practice, but cold fingers are a big deal. If you're out for a while it sucks as far as being able to use the extremedies. Something I've done a lot of is taking practice with cold hands, and lots of practice at nights drawing with coat on just while watching TV
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    P95, Since I've been in the sunny south for a long time, I don't face this situation. However, if I did carry in colder areas I would carry cross draw with a coat I could get open quickly enough to access the weapon. I did carry in cold areas when camping, but I could carry open, so access wasn't a problem. I carried strong side in a low riding flap holster or a western rig.

During the cold Indianapolis winters, I carried my Taurus PT99 in a Galco Miami Classic(AKA the Miami Vice rig) Shoulder Holster. It was much easier to access and conceal under my thick winter coats. But, I only carried this way if I knew my coat was going to stay on. At 5'7" and 140 lbs, I am not 'thick' enough to successfully conceal a full size gun in a shouder rig without lots of clothing to throw over the top of it. If I was going to be indoors, I would just use my regular summer holster, a Galco OWB belt slide holster and keep my coat(s) unzipped to allow access if needed.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

I carry strong side for my primary gun regardless of the weather or layers. In the cooler months I carry my second gun in an outside pocket.
    Gloves will come off fast by biting the fingertips and pulling.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Talking winter clothes

I wear it under the coat with the coat zipped up. I mean you have to stay warm and it has to stay concealed. Always be observant and at the first sign of trouble unzip the coat and be ready. When it's really cold out they'll be fewer people out on the street to shoot anyway.

Lead Moderator
    I would not use pocket carry as I take my coat off inside too much. Usually strong side carry with a thick coat and a light fleece under to conceal the gun indoors. Also I use Hatch frisk gloves which are insulated but still easy to operate and fire a pistol with. Usually just leave my coat unzipped unless its a real bitter cold. Also adding a long zipper pull to your zipper makes access easier.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry

Thinking tho of temp's - (you AZ, TX and FL members - relax!) - there is a need sometimes to really ''wrap up'' tho even when very cold here
    Hey, when the temperature here drops to 60, we pull out the gloves, scarves and parkas!
    Then again, we only loosen our ties and drink cuban coffee when the yank & canadian tourists are dropping like flies as temperatures stay in the 90's with 90% humidity.

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Re heavy coat used, but on and off - tho not something I have to bother with too much -

Answer? I'll keep my std carry as usual 3.30 OWB but ADD a suitable pocket piece - thus making for quickest access, like hand-on-gun in suspicious situation. Thus in a sense BUG becomes primary some of the time. I think that could work well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry in many ways, either with a horizontal shoulder rig while in my down vest. Strong side high ride pancake, or in the pants when the situation /weather is warmer. It depents on the weather and conditions that direct my mode of carry.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Re heavy coat used, but on and off - tho not something I have to bother with too much -

Answer? I'll keep my std carry as usual 3.30 OWB but ADD a suitable pocket piece - thus making for quickest access, like hand-on-gun in suspicious situation. Thus in a sense BUG becomes primary some of the time. I think that could work well.

Actually that sounds like a really good idea, even better if you use a Centennial or Bodyguard style revolver that can be fired from inside the pocket. Only problem I can think of is leaving the coat and weapon unattended (ie Holiday visits with young children ... or idiot relatives around - anyone else end up with a pile of coats on the bed?).
    Jack

I'm actually finding it much easier to carry now that it is getting colder. More clothes - more options. The more layers I can tuck in between the holster and my skin (IWB) the more comfortable it is - just leaving the last layer for a cover garment. I don't really see it affecting the draw as long as the cover garment isn't too prohibitive - and I'm much more of a layer guy than a big heavy coat guy.

I really like pocket carry but have yet to find a pocket big enough for a 1911. :)

Hay I'm from Michigan, any day it is above freezing is short sleve weather, so I usually just wear a light coat one that is long enough to cover. On those rare days that I go to the goose down coat I'll usually switch to the sholder rig.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I wear a military parka and stash my primary in the concealed map pocket with magazine in opposite. However, if carrying 637 its in handwarmer pocket.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links