Irritated at NE states and Canada

This is a discussion on Irritated at NE states and Canada within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from a long trip up through the NE and Canada. Had to leave the pistol at home. All I had was my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irritated at NE states and Canada

Irritated at NE states and Canada

Just got back from a long trip up through the NE and Canada. Had to leave the pistol at home. All I had was my knife. NOT a good feeling... What a bunch of must live up there. In Nova Scotia I guess that makes sense.

I was very happy to strap it back on when I got home. I think I will keep my travels to states that will honor my permit from now on.

Happy to see the DC decision though.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, there's certainly a different attitude up there. Lots of folks just don't understand why anyone would want a gun around, much less carry one.

That said, I absolutely love Nova Scotia and PEI. The food, the music, the breweries. And the people are very friendly and sociable. Had a great time up there last summer for the Royal Nova Scotian Tatoo and the Tall Ships festival in Halifax. The Maritime Museum there is excellent, too. I found the exhibition of the Explosion of 1917 especially interesting.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member

Smile when you say that!!

I'm sure your comment was tongue in sheep, I mean cheek. You have no idea what we have to put up with up here. Up until the last Federal election the Liberal party was in power here. Part of their campaign platform was proposing a total handgun ban like the one in the UK. Fortunately they lost. I, and many others, are lobbying for the sames right to carry that you take for granted. Make sure you check out my signature line below.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Canada

My wife and I took a two week trip through North Western Canada. What a beautiful country. Great people. The tour guide was terrific. Our bus driver was from Canada, young talented and very anti-gun. I never could understand why such a great place is so against fire arms.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    DO NOT BASH THE NE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, "vermont style" concealed carry is what we all dream of. And since I have been looking at moving to NH, you may NOT carry in the secure areas of a courthouse...but court security MUST check your firearm for safe keeping. By the way, that is the ONLY restriction I could find after the necessity for a permit. "Live free or Die!"

I think they might just mean it!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I was not aware of what was happening in Canada until I saw this video. Maybe some have seen it but it's new for me. Gun Control in Canada
    NRA Member

I live in NH and I'm allowed to carry everywhere except for courthouses or Post offices. Anywhere else in NH is absolute fair game. There are really no other restrictions. Schools? OK... Liquor stores? OK... Restaurants that sell liquor? OK...

We're shall issue here in NH. I pay $10, have my permit within a week, and it's good for 4 years. No fingerprints, no test, no BS.

I'll never leave NH!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure I read and I know I was told (by Sam Cohen, good friend) that schools (K-12) are off-limits in NH. Colleges are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    I live in NH and I'm allowed to carry everywhere except for courthouses or Post offices. Anywhere else in NH is absolute fair game. There are really no other restrictions. Schools? OK... Liquor stores? OK... Restaurants that sell liquor? OK...

We're shall issue here in NH. I pay $10, have my permit within a week, and it's good for 4 years. No fingerprints, no test, no BS.

I'll never leave NH!
    NH did it right!

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read and I know I was told (by Sam Cohen, good friend) that schools (K-12) are off-limits in NH. Colleges are OK.
    If you read the RSA for NH, it does not state that carry in schools (K-12) is off-limits. The only RSA that has any limitations on carry is RSA 159:19 which concerns courthouses. There are no other RSAs that I can find that have any limitation to carry. The federal "Gun Free School Zones Act" has an exemption for citizens that have a permit issued by a Law Enforcement Authority. Post offices are the "grey area" as determined by federal law afaik, so those could also be listed as no carry I guess.

I have gone upside down and inside out on this to numerous people including lawyers, trainers, and LE in NH about the school issue and I have been told over and over again that it is legal to carry concealed in a school IF you have a valid license issued by an LE agency. In areas where permits may be issued by a selectman or mayor of a town/city, as long as that selectman/mayor is authorized by LE to perform that duty, the permit and exemption is still valid.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Thanks, I'll need to double-check my info next time I see/talk with Sam.

I know I asked about it indirectly as my Wife wanted to visit the Space Museum located at a college (in Manchester?) last Fall when we vacationed in NH.

I don't normally visit any schools anywhere unless some meeting is held there, and I'm LE in my state, so the restrictions don't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I'm sure your comment was tongue in sheep, I mean cheek. You have no idea what we have to put up with up here. Up until the last Federal election the Liberal party was in power here. Part of their campaign platform was proposing a total handgun ban like the one in the UK. Fortunately they lost. I, and many others, are lobbying for the sames right to carry that you take for granted. Make sure you check out my signature line below.
    Absolutely love the signature.
    It was very tongue in cheek. If I had to pick a place to live it would be Cape Breton or PEI. Just don't want to be naked...(without a gun).

The frustration with the NE for those of you offended was the fact that it is the only segment of the country where a large portion does not recognize my Missouri Permit. It is almost impossible to stay in states that allow with NY and Maine especially in the state they are in.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

So would someone please tell me when I can carry concealed in Washington DC already? After the new law passed and signed by the gov in Florida I am reapplying for my FLA permit asap. In the meantime, Virginia, Maine, NH, PA, Utah, etc. will have to do..... but when the heck will I be able to carry in Washington.... seems the police chief doesn't think the SCOTUS decision applies to her. Duh?

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    So would someone please tell me when I can carry concealed in Washington DC already? After the new law passed and signed by the gov in Florida I am reapplying for my FLA permit asap. In the meantime, Virginia, Maine, NH, PA, Utah, etc. will have to do..... but when the heck will I be able to carry in Washington.... seems the police chief doesn't think the SCOTUS decision applies to her. Duh?
    The Heller decision does not apply to concealed carry. It only applies to the ability to legally have a handgun in your home for self-defense. It is still illegal to carry in DC and probably will be for awhile until more legal opinions come out to help alleviate such laws. Heller was a good first step in the fight, but it was only one battle. We still have many more to fight before we win the war.
    Firefighter/EMT

VIP Member
    Next time you're travelling to Canada, try the "Left Coast". Check out BC150 Years and Tourism Victoria .
    Last edited by GunnyBunny; July 11th, 2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Wrong link
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links