Am I vigilant or paranoid?

This is a discussion on Am I vigilant or paranoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1 on being edgy, although paranoid? I doubt it. Stay vigilant and condition yellow. Staring 40 in the face, youve learned most of the adult ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I vigilant or paranoid?

+1 on being edgy, although paranoid? I doubt it. Stay vigilant and condition yellow. Staring 40 in the face, youve learned most of the adult lessons necassary to function........but being new to marriage and fatherhood......There's a whole new level of life's lessons your about to get slaped in the back of the face with..............your edgy.
    It's all good and your doing fine. Last night my dog just took OFF, jumping off the coutch, hawling' booty out his doggie-door and addressing the back yard fence in his best "I'm NOT happy" bark. My daughter got me out of bed, I had just turned in, and that not being our dogs common night time behavior I went out back with my surefire and G23. Turned out it was nothing.......or was it?

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    I think you have too much energy. Get yourself a second bambino and you won't be so quick to jump at odd noises.
    Now now.........don't be talking like that just yet!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You know yourself. Neither reaction was over the top to me but... if those incidents happened to me and I reacted as you did, I'd feel that I was a little jumpy!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Not knowing your personal need to carry a firearm (beyond self defense) I can't say that you've gone into paranoia. I also can't say that you're reacting properly.

IF you carry only for general self defense, then I'd say that you are very close to the edge of overreacting. Vigilance is not drawing at every little sound even if the noise isn't expected or "normal." Vigilance is being aware of your surroundings and being prepared and ready to draw and defend yourself. There is a difference. You should draw after the threat is known to exist, not just on general principles that there could be a threat.

OTOH, IF you carry for defense against a specific threat, then I'd say that you're reacting properly.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    Call me paranoid, call me jumpy, call me whatever you want but i would rather do what you did 100 times and find out it was nothing than do the opposite just once.
    +1, one just never knows. Better safe than sorry.

I think your just VERY alert. nothing wrong with that. "no conscious thought" "pure reaction" no finger on trigger is good. weapon still on safe might not be so good. safety off should be "pure reaction" to drawing in those conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    IF you carry only for general self defense, then I'd say that you are very close to the edge of overreacting. Vigilance is not drawing at every little sound even if the noise isn't expected or "normal." Vigilance is being aware of your surroundings and being prepared and ready to draw and defend yourself. There is a difference. You should draw after the threat is known to exist, not just on general principles that there could be a threat.
    +1 Well put
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Not knowing your personal need to carry a firearm (beyond self defense) I can't say that you've gone into paranoia. I also can't say that you're reacting properly.

OTOH, IF you carry for defense against a specific threat, then I'd say that you're reacting properly.
    I tend to disagree, but the laws in Texas are a little more generous as far as drawing/displaying a firearm.

If you wait until you have identified a threat to draw then you are behind the curve. Sometimes, being prepared, does not mean just having the means for defense on your person, but having that means ready for action. If you wait to 'prepare' for a threat until the threat positively identifies itself, it may be too late. Unfortunately, the BG's don't wear a sign around their neck or walk around with a marching band announcing their presence. Sometimes, you have to take what you are given and work with it and do your best to be safe, and to be prepared. A drawn firearm is no more dangerous than a holstered firearm...the finger is the key.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Being cautious of noises and taking precautions when checking it out- not paranoid. I think it is a great habit to instinctively take position with firearm safety still on and finger off trigger. If you took the safety off and finger on trigger, then we would have to question. You never know when that noise might be something more. The main things to remember are, know you target and whats beyond it (your house) and whats beyond that( your neighbors). I would much rather be paranoid and alive, then passive and not.

I don't think drawing in your own house at the sound of a noise would get you in trouble. now if you were in public and heard a noise and then pulled it out. might be an issue. Then again in public "pulling it out" generally causes problems even if it isn't a gun:)

Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    I don't think drawing in your own house at the sound of a noise would get you in trouble. now if you were in public and heard a noise and then pulled it out. might be an issue. Then again in public "pulling it out" generally causes problems even if it isn't a gun:)
    I think the same standard should apply despite the location. You certainly have more leeway in your house, but the standard of application should be the same regardless of application.

Coming around the corner with your gun drawn(despite safety on, finger never touches trigger) and scaring the crap out of your wife is going to cause some MAJOR PROBLEMS. If you're doing this knowing the exact location of all members of the household you're best off.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

i agree young, but if you reasonable suspect your wife not to be home or is in bed and you here a legitimant noise (i think he stated something falling in one case, which would be legit to me, not some bump in the night) then i would have it in hand when i came around the corner. I would probably have it by my side instead of pointing it, that way if it was my wife not a big deal, but if it was a BG and it is in the holster better hope you are quick enough.

Then again i have faced this before when a bird flew into our basement sliding door (at night no less) and the glass shattered. I went into the basement with my gun pointed, but my night gun has a tatical flashlight a laser so i use that to scan the room anyways. I see both ways, frankly i think it depends on the situation as many times i don't even grab my gun to search the house if i just get paranoid. Only if i really think there is someone in the house that should not be and have good reason to think so.

Each person will be different. Consider have you been robbed before? Attacked? Is it just you or do you have kids? guest in the house? Dog? Bad neighborhood? Did you recently fight with someone? the nature of the noise, the location of the noise.

Yes, you are a vigilante and are putting your family and yourself in immediate danger. Immediately ship all your guns and ammo to me, that way you will be safer! I'll take good care of 'em....
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

PM
    Paranoid? Maybe but then again that could keep you alive! As others have said; know where you wife is; in both situations you appear to have done this --- I would suggest that in situation two you make certain that she had not simple arrive "a few moments" before you and was in the bedroom. Then again she could simply call you to allow you to know she is there and if it is like my home I know she is home cause the van is not home!!

Get a dog that will alert you to unwelcome/welcome visitors --- I have lost that at night our new mutt does not bark much; she will alert to things if she is out of her kennel/pet carry. Our old lab mutt would let me know if any one was around --- she wanted to greet them in a friendly way but I know if you had pulled in my drive or were around my house. When money and time are not so tight I need to get a yard dog/larger dog.

As for "when your son get old enough to tried to slip in or out" I will bet the first time Dad meets him with a load gun at the ready it will be the first and last time he "slips in or out". I will also bet his pants will need changed for the first time in years!!

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Better to be prepared then to not check it out and have someone walk in your bed room because you didn't check it out and decided to stay in bed. Reminds me of the time the shampoo bottle feel out the holder in the shower at 2AM. *LOL*

Quote Originally Posted by Kaymen View Post
    The second incident got me thinking; both times I was armed with a Kimber CDP, the first time a full size, the second time an ultra. Neither time did the safety come off nor did my finger touch the trigger. Both incidents the weapons were cocked and locked. Are my reactions fully justified or are they being paranoid? The thought did cross my mind, what happens in a few years when my son is old enough to try to sneak in and out of the house, when he tries to do all those things we did when we were kids.
    I think its good that your finger didn't touch the trigger, however, I think you might need to learn to take the safety off as you are drawing. The ultimate safety is your mind. If you are indexing the weapon, having the safety off isn't that big of a deal, IMO. I did something similiar to your first scenario a couple days ago. Im in bed reading and hear an out of place noise. I grab my G21 and surefire light and go through the house. I couldnt find the cause of the noise. As far as your son sneaking in when he's older, Always identify your target. As someone else said, if you do draw down on him, I think that it would probably the first and last time he sneaks out.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links