Am I vigilant or paranoid?

This is a discussion on Am I vigilant or paranoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think you're a little paranoid I've never drawn my carry gun at home or any place for that matter....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I vigilant or paranoid?

I think you're a little paranoid

I've never drawn my carry gun at home or any place for that matter.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaymen View Post
    The thought did cross my mind, what happens in a few years when my son is old enough to try to sneak in and out of the house, when he tries to do all those things we did when we were kids.
    Well, thinking my son was in bed where he was supposed to be, I met the strange dark figure silently and quietly entering into the house with my .357 pointed at him, cocked and ready to go.... and shouted "Don't move or I WILL SHOOT".

After that night... my son never snuck out again, and every time he came home late at night he was YELLING to let me know it was him coming into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Not knowing your personal need to carry a firearm (beyond self defense) I can't say that you've gone into paranoia. I also can't say that you're reacting properly.

IF you carry only for general self defense, then I'd say that you are very close to the edge of overreacting. Vigilance is not drawing at every little sound even if the noise isn't expected or "normal." Vigilance is being aware of your surroundings and being prepared and ready to draw and defend yourself. There is a difference. You should draw after the threat is known to exist, not just on general principles that there could be a threat.

OTOH, IF you carry for defense against a specific threat, then I'd say that you're reacting properly.
    + 2

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    I've never drawn my carry gun at home or any place for that matter.
    Does that make it hard to clean?

Regarding the thread subject: depends on who's saying it. We say we're vigilant, the sheep say we're paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaymen View Post
    The first was one in the middle of the night I was sound asleep, but I heard a noise that was out of place and it woke me up, with no conscious thought on my part or at least none that I remember, I came fully awake and realized I was standing next to my bed with my weapon in my hand at a low ready.
    Let me get this straight... You were partially asleep with a loaded gun in your hand?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

You are not paranoid. Don't sweat it.

But remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that everyone isn't out to get you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    I'm going to say paranoid, but thats OK, every good ninja is slightly paranoid.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm going to say paranoid, but thats OK, every good ninja is slightly paranoid.
    Everyone's out to get me, people are following and watching me all the time....

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

VIP Member
    Trust your gut while keeping proper gun discipline. If something aroused your suspicion, don't dismiss it. And do not doubt yourself or you are bound to make a mistake that will be costly.

Many years ago living in a crappy apartment complex in Nashville, I awoke to a series of pop noises. I picked my gun, went to investigate and realized that they came from a recently installed electrical AC/Heater unit from the apartment downstairs. The pops were cause by faulty wiring installation and the smell of burned wiring was strong. I ran downstairs and woke the neighbors who had no clue what was happening in their own place till I woke them up. We pulled the fuses for the unit and went back to bed. If I had dismissed the noises, my future bride and myself might be in the middle of a fire.
    Again, trust your gut while keeping proper gun discipline.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

You sound normal to me and your muscle memory seems to be working as it should.

Stay armed...always be vigilant...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New Member Array Kentucky Kernel's Avatar
    To me your response was 100% perfect. Finger off the trigger and by the trigger guard, saftey on. You were ready to use the firearm, but you applied all the appropriate safety behaviors.

Take a little pressure off and get a dog. Once you and he or she have settled in to one another you will know in an instant if the sound you hear needs to be checked out. Let the dog go first followed by you, the dog takes most of the risk and lets you have the upper hand.
    In my case it stays holstered. I have a 19 yr old and 23 yr old coming and going all the time. The dog saves me the trouble of having to get out of a toasty comfy bed. Unless I hear that low hushed growl..
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    A little paranoid, but that may be the norm here.

Regards,
    Jerry

+1

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Appropriately vigilant....... Neither strikes me as a gross overreation.

I'd say your actions were appropriate for what happened. As for your son sneaking in and out you do what my dad did, kick his butt and explain why that is not allowed. Especially not in this day-n-age.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I am a big believer in situational awareness: if I hear something out of the ordinary or see something around here I check it out. I do not consider myself paranoid. IMHO, "surprises in these days of classroom/church shootings and Islamomaniacs are usually unpleasant.

So I try to avoid surprises.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links