Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED - Page 2

Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED

This is a discussion on Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bark i agree with what you have here, but this is the law for having a gun, not the actuall CCW law. I beleive there ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16
    Member Array GOPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    82
    Bark i agree with what you have here, but this is the law for having a gun, not the actuall CCW law. I beleive there is actualy a portion of the CCW law that states you can not be "impaired" and conceal carry. But there is no set limit for "impaired". Why i avoid it totally is because of the point you mentioned, about a gun incident but also because with a law that is unclear you can get a anti LEO or PA to push the issue, i would rather wait for someone else to pay for the lawyers than me. More than likely most reasonable people would assume .08 i'm just not willing to bey my jury will have reasonable people


  2. #17
    Member Array Tye_Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    I am sure i will get hit about leaving gun in the car, but frankly with the garage locked, the car locked, the console locked and with the house and car alarm active this is probably the least accessible gun i have.
    When I go into non-carry locations, I leave my gun a lot less protected then you have here. 99% of the time mine is left in a locked console, in a locked car. I don't have a garage lock, house alarm, and car alarm protecting it. Therefore, I won't "hit" you for leaving a gun secured in a car. The other 1% it is simply hidden in a locked car so perhaps I'll be the one to take the "hit". (To deflect the hit a little, this 1% is generally when I am going into a victim-disarmament zone that doesn't cover the parking lot and I'm just going in for a short period of time. I can take my gun out of the holster and slip it into a back seat pocket without anyone on the outside of the vehicle seeing, putting it in the center console would be visible to anyone looking through my front windshield.) I actually have 2 holsters in the car to facilitate these 2 storage locations so I don't have to take off my holster as well.

  3. #18
    Member Array braindonor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Out west
    Posts
    116
    I wouldn't hit you for leaving it in the car, except that you forgot it was there. Two places for my guns: On body, or in house or car safe, no questions, no worries.

  4. #19
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    Bark i agree with what you have here, but this is the law for having a gun, not the actuall CCW law. I beleive there is actualy a portion of the CCW law that states you can not be "impaired" and conceal carry. But there is no set limit for "impaired". Why i avoid it totally is because of the point you mentioned, about a gun incident but also because with a law that is unclear you can get a anti LEO or PA to push the issue, i would rather wait for someone else to pay for the lawyers than me. More than likely most reasonable people would assume .08 i'm just not willing to bey my jury will have reasonable people
    The title of the brochure I am quoting from the Highway Patrol is Missouri Concealed Weapons Law! and it is a "user friendly" publication from the State Patrol for ease of understanding for the public. I understand it is not the actual state statute which you can find here.

    Obviously being "impaired" is highly subjective in nature lacking any specific citations in the law. Also, the right to self defense is also a universal and unalienable right. You do not give up your right to use lethal force to defend your life just because you have had one beer.

    It all comes down to common sense! I have an attorney already and have spoken with him regarding the alcohol issue. As far as he is concerned and I am concerned, if I choose to have one or two beers or a glass of wine or one mixed "watered down" cocktail during a meal at a restaurant he is not going to have a problem proving I was not "impaired" at the time.

    He knows me, my behavior and how I act in public. Sure, it's always going to be a crap shoot in court. However, I rarely drink in public because I do carry a gun. Also, enjoying a nice $10 glass of wine while eating a $30 veal marsala in a fine Italian restaurant is not going to make me a public risk nor is it going to make me "impaired" by any stretch of the term, nor should I give up my right to defend myself in order to enjoy a nice dinner. I actually act fairly refined while in public. I over tip waiters, never cause a scene or get into arguments, I shine my shoes and wear clean clothes, I avoid conflict and confrontation at all costs. I open doors for people and say excuse me. I don't see it as being a problem.

    I also know people who can't have one beer without having a dozen, fart in public, stiff the waitresses, make rude comments regarding food preparation and so on and so forth. I don't hang out with them much either. Especially when carrying a gun.

    JMO, YMMV.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  5. #20
    Member Array GOPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    82
    I agree bark and i feel exactly as you do, but since i have no lawyer and i did not stay at a holiday inn express last night, i just choose not to risk it. I guess i look at it this way, if i am in jail or have my right to carry taken away i can not defend my family so on the rare occasions that i drink i risk not being armed and being part of the flock. I have been trying so hard to get my wife to get her permit as she almost never drinks, this way i could drink and have protection at the same time. But she won't, yet.

    All that being said your points make a lot of sense. i think from now on, i will not go out of my way to avoid it, but if i plan on drinking i will still leave the gun at home. Frankly half the time i forget that i am carrying anyways i am really getting use to it being on, kind of like my cell phone. I only notice it when i don't have it

  6. #21
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    The male didn't say a word
    At least you know who'll been looking in the center console from now on.

    Ok my daughter is 20 and had two friends staying for a week. They all wanted to ride in the mustang to go out to dinner. They all piled in (not easy to get in and out from the back), I got in and then realized that my spare gun was in the middle console (I occasionally do leave my backup in my car that is in the garage and locked). Knowing that i was going to be drinking a couple i wanted to get it out. So I told them sorry if you don't like guns but i have to remove one so we can go play in the mustang.

    Now considering on of the "friends" likes my daughter and it is a guy, there may have been some benefit to doing this :), but none the less it was the first time i have had to show, display or anything since CCW

    I am sure i will get hit about leaving gun in the car, but frankly with the garage locked, the car locked, the console locked and with the house and car alarm active this is probably the least accessible gun i have.
    Of course my daughter gave me the "look" the female friend said i was just like her dad (I feel old). The male didn't say a word
    So-----do they know you have a permit or just that you carry a gun around?
    A gun that's not on you or in your hand is an unsecured gun.

    I bet if you really wanted to find a way, you could have taken it out and put it away with no one knowing.
    My thinking as well.

  7. #22
    Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    Off topic, but i still beleive it is going to take a CCW holder to be denied his right to carry at a place of work or school and that person being killed by a BG and then law suits to take place before schools and business realize that unless they can protect their employees/students then they run the risk of law suits if something happens
    Most states who's laws I've read specifically have protection for those who'd face lawsuit under the circumstances in which you specified above. Remember, this also works both ways. i.e. in my state of CO 18-12-215 (2) gives immunity to those issuing or denying permits from liable for damages that may result

  8. #23
    Senior Member Array Cthulhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brevard County, FL
    Posts
    1,154
    Just my two yen, but: you're not doing anything wrong, you're legal, and you're taking care of something to make sure you STAY legal. Just handle it as you normally would. If they have questions, answer them. Otherwise, on with the show.

    -JT

  9. #24
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Don't get me wrong either... I do on occasions go out in public without my gun. I do from time to time go out to a club with friends and intend to drink more than one or two beers. We always have a designated driver and won't bring my gun with me.

    I'm not one who feels that without my gun, I am unarmed. I most certainly know how to defend myself without the use of a firearm.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  10. #25
    Member Array mslaughtertx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    346
    No criticism from me. I feel that you did the best you could in the situation, being you did not have towels, extra shirt, or etc. Immediate family knows that I carry everywhere, so it is probably a good idea that your daughter know. This helps to keep them aware if something happens, it does not catch them off guard and it was part of the plan that we have in place for SHTF scenerios.

  11. #26
    Member Array boss mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    67
    Love my 07! Had an 04 in Competition Orange. I really like the Grabber orange.

    ON TOPIC- I sometimes carry in the console, but never leave it there when I get home.

  12. #27
    Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett, Texas
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    That would have been a great time to ask the "what are your intentions with my daughter?" question to him.

    With a little planning in advance you could have snuck into the garage and taken care of this probably. Oh well. You're legal.

    Did your daughter know you carry prior to this? Was their any following discussion after the friends left?

    I remember looking down the barrel of a shotgun as a father told me not to be late getting his daughter home. I was about 30 minutes early.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    Almost all my carry guns can fit in the palm of my hand ,I'm sure in the future without saying a word you could reach in the console and palm the gun then go put it up without anybody in the back being any the wiser,as soon as you say whoops I gotta put my gun up every eyeball in the car is looking where your hands are going.The question is were you really just putting your gun up or like showing off your car ,showing off your gun.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  14. #29
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,665

    Kinda wondered the same thing

    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Almost all my carry guns can fit in the palm of my hand ,I'm sure in the future without saying a word you could reach in the console and palm the gun then go put it up without anybody in the back being any the wiser,as soon as you say whoops I gotta put my gun up every eyeball in the car is looking where your hands are going.The question is were you really just putting your gun up or like showing off your car ,showing off your gun.
    I had kinda wondered the same thing. But, giving the o.p. the benefit of the doubt, what he did was concerning because the gun was being displayed---albeit amongst friends who won't phone in a complaint.

  15. #30
    Member Array GOPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    82
    i was not showing off the gun. My daughter knows i carry and that i keep my back up in the car it wasn't her i was trying to avoid. My purpose for saying something was that they had already gotten in the car (my daughter was in the back with the "boy") and her friend was in the passenger seat. Even a towel or other cover would have put them on alert and frankly i was trying to put them at ease by telling them what i was doing as that small of a car with that many people i doubt i could have palmed it without one of them seeing it. You never know how people will react. My intent for taking it out was exactly the reason i stated about dinner and drinks not showing it off. the whole reason i posted was because i try to avoid anyone other than immediate family from knowing that i carry and the fact i showed it bothered me a little bit. Obviously if i was totally concerned about it, i would have had then get out of the car go back in the house into her room as i had to take it from the car to the gun safe. I don't agree about the only way to secure a gun is if it is on you or in your hand, otherwise i would only own one gun and i have a several more than one :). It was actually when i took the key to unlock the console (i have a lock on it only due to the gun) that caught their attention. I am sure if both the friends where in the back i could have probably did it without them knowing but since one was in the front, there was no real chance.

    I should have been able to avoid the situation by preparing a little bit, but frankly I was planning on taking the truck, but they talked me into taking the mustang. I just didn't think far enough ahead. Actually the only reason they were in the car before me was because i went to take off my carry gun and lock it up while they got in the car.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Saddams golden gun goes on display
    By soonerjh in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: June 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM
  2. Gun display stands
    By TonyW in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
  3. Would you buy a display model??
    By Baby Hulk in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 14th, 2006, 04:15 PM
  4. handymans dream display
    By Redneck Repairs in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Search tags for this page

how to display my gun

,

how to display my guns

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors