Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED

This is a discussion on Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; by the way my back up gun is a stainless steel colt .357 4 and half inch barrell. Ever try to palm one of those. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED

by the way my back up gun is a stainless steel colt .357 4 and half inch barrell. Ever try to palm one of those. Jolly green giant would have trouble hiding that one. And no i do not carry it, it is strictly my backup gun for the car. If it is my little 9 mm which is really my backup carry gun that might have been a little different and again i wasn't worried about them calling cops as i was in my garage in my car and in my house. It was simply that these people are staying a week with my daughter and i didn't want to make them uneasy if they had issues with guns

2. Remove Ads

I think you are having to defend yourself too much. I think you handled the situation in a perfectly acceptable manor. And with regards to palming the weapon, it seems as if you say it's your back up gun, someone immediately thinks its something the size of a Ruger LCP.

You did the responsible thing by disarming because you thought that was the right choice. Its your car, your house, you can take out a pistol in front of whomever you choose. I think you did fine

Quote Originally Posted by ak_balla View Post
    I think you are having to defend yourself too much. I think you handled the situation in a perfectly acceptable manor. And with regards to palming the weapon, it seems as if you say it's your back up gun, someone immediately thinks its something the size of a Ruger LCP.

You did the responsible thing by disarming because you thought that was the right choice. Its your car, your house, you can take out a pistol in front of whomever you choose. I think you did fine
    +1 you handled this well and should not have to defend yourself. Over time we will all end up in an unanticipated situation that may expose our gun. It is just life.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPony View Post
    Of course my daughter gave me the "look" the female friend said i was just like her dad (I feel old). The male didn't say a word
    LMAO.

Nicely handled. I tend to think covering it up and secreting it out would be far more problematic if seen than just taking it out. They'd be wondering if you had a kilo of coke under that rag....
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I bet if you really wanted to find a way, you could have taken it out and put it away with no one knowing.

Try keeping a hand towel in the car. You can cover stuff up easily; use it to pick up and hide the gun (or something else); and it can come in handy if something spills, or the seat needs to be covered for some reason. I always keep a couple of good quality towels in the car.

(If you have to change a tire, you can use it to wipe sweat or Goop off your hands and face. If it is dead winter, you can cover your ears or head if need be--yeah, it would look weird; I'm just making the point that keeping towels in the car is a good idea.)

what an odd post
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

You apologized to them...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Maybe it will interest him enough to get a gun of his own. You two could share a common bond. Also, the more gun owners the better.
    Yeah, maybe even the OP's now he know the OP has one. Unless I am absolutely sure of a person's moral stature, I don't let people know I am going to leave a gun in the car. It doesn't sound like the OP is entirely fond of the guy-friend. I don't know, that's how I read it.

I would have waited until getting to the restaurant, then conveniently "forget" something in the car as everyone is walking in.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

New Member Array Kentucky Kernel's Avatar
    When I am not actually carrying but want my firearm in the car, I keep it in a pocket holster in an empty clean bag from a fast food joint in the middle consol. The bag is open at the top for easy access, but I can always grab the bag and remove it from my car with no one being the wiser (other than wondering why I eat so much junk food!)

KK

VIP Member

Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Kernel View Post
    When I am not actually carrying but want my firearm in the car, I keep it in a pocket holster in an empty clean bag from a fast food joint in the middle consol. The bag is open at the top for easy access, but I can always grab the bag and remove it from my car with no one being the wiser (other than wondering why I eat so much junk food!)

KK
    I think that is a great idea.

However, I am always reluctant to leave a gun in a glove compartment or console. Doing so makes it possible (in some states and some situations) for an unlicensed occupant to be charged with possession.

To my mind a gun belongs on your person, or in a locked box (safe) in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Kernel View Post

KK
    That is pretty clever!

I just hope all potential drivers of a car know. Would be pretty tragic to have them toss out the loose trash in the car as a favor (and somehow not notice the excessive weight, heh).
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

My gun (glock19) and car (69 mach 1) always ride together. Had 2 BG try to hotwire it while we were inside a burger joint came out just in time to catch them.
    As for my daughters guy freind it would not bother him a bit, he is a US Marine and has more firepower than I do, so I always liked him good thing too because now he is my son in law, but he still not allowed to drive my car.
    Now the kids are trying figure out who gets the car when we kick the bucket and if all goes well that will be many years away.
    Attached Images
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

who cares if they know you have a gun? these kids knowing you have a gun just means they will respect you and your daughter
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

If you were on your property and/or if they are riding in your car there is no shame in them seeing it, don't apologize. I have and carry all sorts of guns around on my property moving them from here to there, cleaning them, shooting them.. If they see and ask you can tell them what it is for, you are not brandishing it. If you were out in public it would be a different story.

As far as getting "the look" from your daughter. I bet she did that because she thought you were merely showing the gun for effect.
    Last edited by Yoda; July 11th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.

Just curious...why not just leave the gun in your locked compartment, inside of your locked car, protected by your security system and go about enjoying your evening?
    (if this was already covered previously I apologize in advance)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links